Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
phntmss

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
New to forum...wanting some advice or tips

Well as the title states i am new to the forum. I am 28 and living in Nebraska. I will soon be the proud owner of a 2011 Camaro SS/RS. I have always been a chevy fan (first car 1969 chevelle SS) and threw the years ive had some "meh" vehicles but really wanted to go back to something to reflect what i started out with.
The camaro i am looking to aquire soon will have the 6.2ltr v8 L99...yes i know automatic but i am not to familuar with a stick and would hate to ruin such a beautiful car with my limited knowlege of a manual. My hopes here at this forum are to gain knowlege of what can and cant be done with the new camaro. For example im wanting to up the horsepower some more. So i was looking to do a cam swap, change out the rear end gears, hopefully a supercharger, cold air intake etc... so i was hoping you all could give me some tips or advice as to what products are good and will be a good step into building up my camaro.. Again i am glad to join the forum and look forward to learning alot here
phntmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i would start with CAI, cat back , longtube headers, dyno tune... thats a great start. thats 50+ WHP to your car.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
phntmss

thanks, im having the dealership upgrade the exhaust for me prior to purchase....
Old 12-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmss View Post
thanks, im having the dealership upgrade the exhaust for me prior to purchase....gona sound dumb here but CAI ?
cold air intake is a must have
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #5
phntmss

yea its already on my list of things to do.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Check this out. There are some good articles on there that will give you some good basic info on various topics, including air intake systems. People generally start out with a CAI and exhaust and go from there. We offer several CAI/exhaust bolt on packages that make selecting the right combo easy and help save some money. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Cool

Congrats on your new Camaro!! You will love it. You mentioned upgrades from the dealer..exactly what are the upgrades? The power makers for exhaust are long tube headers and the CAI. Beyond that we start to talk about the good stuff superchargers, stroking the motor, cams, heads. turbos...etc, etc. I got my Camaro about a year go (Feb 15th, 2010) an thus far I've put a supercharger, headers, 3"cat back pipes and a performance muffler system, and a color matched heritage grille. All that cost me about 12K and the car is now a whole new level of beast..it's awesome! I'm at 507rwhp and 597 hp at the crank. However, If I had it to do all over again I would have done it differently. As you will read on here, just about everything you do performance wise to the car has ramifications to the rest of the stock parts. For instance, the supercharger..they are generally a safe upgrade but the engine does not come stock with forged internals so under wide open throttle or hig revswith boost if the air-fuel ratio goes too high the motor can blow. Also the higher you go in horsepower the less effective the stock suspension is in transferring the power to the street. Get the pattern here? So anyway...If I could have done all over again I would have waited and saved a bit more and had the motor stroked (adding cubic inches while replacing the rotating assembly with forged components) add a cam designed for a supercharger, added the supercharger, fuel delivery upgrades (another topic) a ZR1 clutch (mine is a manual) all at the same to avoid paying 3 times for someone to keep tuning and taking things apart and putting back together. BTW...I am definately going to do the stroking of the motor...why have that SC if you don't feel safe using it? You may even find that stroking the stock 402 to say a 427 ci with a nasty cam and heads gets you to your hp/tq goal and it will be a mean sounding, naturally aspirated nasty SOB... So many choices. This forum is great for getting info...read up before you choose.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
I agree with Mikess CAI headers cat back tune good way to start out

then cam rear end gears torque converter

a tune will make the a6 shift awesome
Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yes I would do more of the basic mods at first. CAI and CAT back exhaust will not blow the warranty. If you do not care about the warranty then get the longtube headers and high flow CATS also and a tune.

As they said getting the power to the ground will be the issue. I have a CAI, cut out the L99 resonator and put in an X-Pipe and GMPP mufflers. I am at 24K miles and am on my 3rd set of rear tires. I do not do break stands, I just get 0-speed limit as fast as I can. Also leave traction control on because if I do not all she does is spin them all the way thru 1st on the automatic.

When I do deside to blow the warranty I will get longtubes, high flow CATS and a tune from Ted Jannetty. Then I will do some supension work and later on get gears and maybe a CAM.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I would suggest you do a LOT OF READING before you decide on anything. There are HP mods, cosmetic mods, suspension mods, and sound mods. Figure out what you might want, then research. I'd be suprised if there's a aftermarket part for a Camaro that someone on here hasn't tried.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
As mentioned before....I think....there's a split between performance and looks....your funds should go in the direction you take. Looks; very little warranty issues. Performance; warranty issues. Sound; you void your exhaust warranty but it's not a deal breaker. long tubes will need a tune....not sure if that's an engine warranty issue it's all over the place on the outcome. Me? exhaust first...the sound will be an instant payback!
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
phntmss

thanks to everyone on their imput... i am going to get a CAI first ... and go from there..future mods i was looking at one of the heads/cam packages at LG Motorsports... before i step into a supercharger im going to make sure the engine is up to it and do it right.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
phntmss

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Congrats on your new Camaro!! You will love it. You mentioned upgrades from the dealer..exactly what are the upgrades?
the dealership has 2 camaro's in their show room that have been lowered, custom wheels, all new exhaust and both have kenne bell twin screw superchargers...they want upwards of 100k per vehicle... i saw them and told them i wanted to upgrade exhaust so they said they could... they have a few packages threw GM they could do so i went that route since it'd be included in the price of the car.