Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #99
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
What "other" GM small blocks could possibly be considered for a Z/28?

While it would be awesome to have a Z/28 with the LS7, I think the LS7 is on it's way out.

Perhaps the Z/28 will be an LS3 Camaro that's been pedderized, with lighter smaller wheels?

Other than GM crate motors, I can't think of any other motor that could possibly be used for a Z/28.

I sure wish Fbodfather would come in here and comment!
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #100
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
You better check and see what Chevrolet models has a SS emblem.
Regardless of what models have the emblem, they are generally the most HP model for THAT model. Granted, there are several cars who had zero business ever receiving the badging. There are of course exceptions to this statement...but for the most part, it rings true..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
That makes me laugh. maybe in the good ole usa. don't kid yourself. 1/4 mile times are a joke. all they shower is acceleration not what a car is really capable of.

you can keep believing the SS was king. that's ok.
Apparently you can't read, because my statement was only about the 1/4 mile. Outside of the enthusiasts who run a road course, you almost NEVER hear how fast a lap can she put down.... you hear about 1/4 mile times. That was the point of my comment.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #101
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
FINALLY...

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...let-Camaro.pdf

Page 173...

How did you want yours built?

COPO pricing NOT included, above. COPO 9560 (ZL1 engine) = Base V8 Coupe + $4160 + mandatory options (F70/14 RWL, PDB, M40/M21/M22) = $7280 to $7407. COPO 9561 (L72) = Base V8 Coupe + $490 (iirc) + mandatory options = $3610 to $3737 FOB dealer.

http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml

So a COPO 9561 was about $138 LESS than an SS-L78 with similar options and ZL2 Hood ($3748-up).

A "Base" Z/28, including mandatory options, started at $3727 (with G80 + ZL2 Hood).
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #102
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
ZZZZzzzzzz

I am thoroughly convinced that GM will release a Z28 with the new direct injection 5.5L engine that will be base engine in the C7 Vette. This might happen for the Vette as soon as next year. A Z28 version could put out about 440HP according to speculation. The 5.5 engine is the engine running in the LeMans series Corvettes in the C6R. If they gave a 5th gen Camaro a 5.5 engine, Magnetic ride technology and a few other tweaks, it would compete well with the Boss 302 on dragstrip or road course. (IMHO)

See: http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrole...e-5-5l-v8.html

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #103
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I am thoroughly convinced that GM will release a Z28 with the new direct injection 5.5L engine that will be base engine in the C7 Vette. This might happen for the Vette as soon as next year. A Z28 version could put out about 440HP according to speculation. The 5.5 engine is the engine running in the LeMans series Corvettes in the C6R. If they gave a 5th gen Camaro a 5.5 engine, Magnetic ride technology and a few other tweaks, it would compete well with the Boss 302 on dragstrip or road course. (IMHO)

That is a distinct possibility as well. Although, I don't know about the MR. Seems like that would push the cost too high.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #104
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:

Your info source is over 15 months old. Recent info suggests TWO Gen-5 SBC displacements only: one for trucks (largely), one for sporty cars. The 5.5L version used in the C6R is a Series-specific size to maximize efficiencies at its 475 hp.-regulated limit.

To only put 440 hp. into a 200+ lb. heavier Gen-5 Camaro vs. the 444 hp. BOSS will NOT have it "compete well". It would be struggling to match, let alone bust the wee bronco...quarter horse, steeplechase, or most other "equestrian" metaphors...

Just slip in a shelf-ready LS7...GAME...SET...MATCH! Tennis, anyone?!

As a Gen-6 Camaro, with a Gen-5 SBC, 440 hp in a car weighing closer to the current Stang might be "enough"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #105
flopjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Your info source is over 15 months old. Recent info suggests TWO Gen-5 SBC displacements only: one for trucks (largely), one for sporty cars. The 5.5L version used in the C6R is a Series-specific size to maximize efficiencies at its 475 hp.-regulated limit.

To only put 440 hp. into a 200+ lb. heavier Gen-5 Camaro vs. the 444 hp. BOSS will NOT have it "compete well". It would be struggling to match, let alone bust the wee bronco...quarter horse, steeplechase, or most other "equestrian" metaphors...

As a Gen-6 Camaro, with a Gen-5 SBC, 440 hp in a car weighing closer to the current Stang might be "enough"...
I still don't see an LS7 Z28, however I do see a Z28 powered by a new generation V8. Consider the following source:

Internally known as “Y1XX,” Mathews reports that the C7 will find its way to market sometime in the middle of 2013 as a 2014 model, which might be slightly further off than some expected. When it does, PM tells us to expect the previously rumored 5.5-liter next generation small block V8 engine mated to either an eight-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. To note, there was no word on the rumored long-stroke 3.0L V8 in development. Currently, Corvette Racing is using a 5.5-liter small block V8 (dubbed the LS5.5R) that pushes out 485 horsepower. That number seems in line with PM’s statement that the base model C7 will exhibit numbers similar to today’s Z06, while the next generation Z06 will be closer to what we currently see in the ZR1. Sounds delicious, but what about the interior?

So based on that statement from GM Inside News, I see the Z/28 being released mid year of 2014 (February like the ZL1?) and using a 475 hp DI V8 from the new Corvette. I know rumors are that the 6th Gen Camaro is rumored to be due as a 2015 model, but remember nothing is confirmed, and a 5 year run on the C5 seems a little short and I don't understand the rush to get to the next generation.. Its actually more likely to me that the 6th Generation will be a 2016 or 2017 MY release - that's only 4 years away from being on the dealer lots (50th Anniversary anyone?) which leaves plenty of time for a 2-3 year run on a 2014 Z/28.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #106
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
I predict that the Z-28 will be a turbocharged V6... especially since we've seen how nicely some turbo's would mount up to the new 1 piece head/exhaust manifold.
I wouldn't read too much into that. That engine is being used everywhere. From Camaros to Cadillacs to Impalas. They probably are going to be making a turbo6 out of it someday, but that doesn't mean that they'll use it in the Camaro when they already have a superior engine available (the LS3).

Plus, the whole point of a Z28 is to make it a track oriented car. Adding weight over the front end & making it hotter under the hood are not the way to go if thats the goal. I suppose it might be good if your goal for a Z28 is fuel efficiency though ...
Quote:

The 5.5L is being used solely because of ALMS restrictions. It has no bearing on the production engines. A coupe years ago they restricted it to 6.0L, and Corvette Racing shrank the LS7.R race engine to comply. But the LS7 street engine remained at 7.0L
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #107
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

Nothing you said would outdate my information...as a matter of fact it confirms what I said. You should google a little more and you will find that the 5.5 engine is definitely currently under development for the Corvette. You'll note that I stated the 5.5 engine and a few more tweaks and that engine would be competative in the Camaro. Direct injection opens huge performance potential for any engine. I watched a video of the Boss 302 at VIR (I think)...the Mustang fanboys like to brag on this one. It was a bone stock Camaro SS against the LS Boss 302 and at the end of a long straight away, the Camaro was only a few car lengths behind the 302. Remember, the current Camaro was never intended as a full out track focussed build as the Boss 302 is and was. There are other videos showing the Boss 302 running mid 13 second ETs in the quarter as well. I think you under-rate the Camaro's performance capability considerably. But, to each his own opinion and I respect that.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #108
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopjack View Post
I still don't see an LS7 Z28, however I do see a Z28 powered by a new generation V8. Consider the following source:

Internally known as “Y1XX,” Mathews reports that the C7 will find its way to market sometime in the middle of 2013 as a 2014 model, which might be slightly further off than some expected. When it does, PM tells us to expect the previously rumored 5.5-liter next generation small block V8 engine mated to either an eight-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. To note, there was no word on the rumored long-stroke 3.0L V8 in development. Currently, Corvette Racing is using a 5.5-liter small block V8 (dubbed the LS5.5R) that pushes out 485 horsepower. That number seems in line with PM’s statement that the base model C7 will exhibit numbers similar to today’s Z06, while the next generation Z06 will be closer to what we currently see in the ZR1. Sounds delicious, but what about the interior?

So based on that statement from GM Inside News, I see the Z/28 being released mid year of 2014 (February like the ZL1?) and using a 475 hp DI V8 from the new Corvette. I know rumors are that the 6th Gen Camaro is rumored to be due as a 2015 model, but remember nothing is confirmed, and a 5 year run on the C5 seems a little short and I don't understand the rush to get to the next generation.. Its actually more likely to me that the 6th Generation will be a 2016 or 2017 MY release - that's only 4 years away from being on the dealer lots (50th Anniversary anyone?) which leaves plenty of time for a 2-3 year run on a 2014 Z/28.
From that article, they're saying that the engine from the base Corvette will be this 475 hp gen V. Which means ... its replacing the LS3, which means ... its going into the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #109
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
From that article, they're saying that the engine from the base Corvette will be this 475 hp gen V. Which means ... its replacing the LS3, which means ... its going into the SS.
That should be absolutely correct, Camaro SS should get base Vette engine, I would expect a Camaro Z/28 to get something else.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #110
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think you're confused on the series models: C5 Vettes were manufactured from 97 through 2004 or 7 years and the C6 is the current model series which has been in production since 2005 and is in it's 7th year as well. Your reference for the new engine would be the C7....just a friendly correction for "currency".

Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #111
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Nothing you said would outdate my information...as a matter of fact it confirms what I said. You should google a little more and you will find that the 5.5 engine is definitely currently under development for the Corvette. You'll note that I stated the 5.5 engine and a few more tweaks and that engine would be competative in the Camaro. Direct injection opens huge performance potential for any engine. I watched a video of the Boss 302 at VIR (I think)...the Mustang fanboys like to brag on this one. It was a bone stock Camaro SS against the LS Boss 302 and at the end of a long straight away, the Camaro was only a few car lengths behind the 302. Remember, the current Camaro was never intended as a full out track focussed build as the Boss 302 is and was. There are other videos showing the Boss 302 running mid 13 second ETs in the quarter as well. I think you under-rate the Camaro's performance capability considerably. But, to each his own opinion and I respect that.
Just because you can find it on the internet doesn't mean its true.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #112
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I think you're confused on the series models: C5 Vettes were manufactured from 97 through 2004 or 7 years and the C6 is the current model series which has been in production since 2005 and is in it's 7th year as well. Your reference for the new engine would be the C7....just a friendly correction for "currency".
Gen V = 5th generation Chevy small block V8, successor to the gen IV family which began with the LS2

Camaro Fest sub-forum