Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I'm actually a little surprised that the 1LE didn't come in 1SS non RS only. Kind of like the new Z/28 mentality. But I guess two things. They had a hint the Z/28 was coming, and they might not have sold as many without the bells and whistles.

Just that if I recall in 1989 or whatever if you did an air conditioning delete it would trigger the 1LE package with aluminum driveshaft and upgraded brakes, so really set up for the track.
My buddy had a '91 1LE . 305 TPI 5-speed,no AC,no t-tops . Was a nice car.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Arodr395

Drives: 2014 Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post
I think the main reason behind it (at least as far as I've understood it) is that the 1LE has always been pushed as a "track ready" car. Sure, you could do some work to make it better, but you could just show up to the track from the showroom and put down some great times. By making a convertible model, one of two things would have to happen: GM would have to add a whole lot of structural reinforcement to keep that "track ready" title, adding a lot of weight to the car, impeding its performance. Or they would leave that to the customer, at which point the car loses the title. Either way, the car isn't going to perform as well on the track as a coupe and since the 1LE has been pushed so heavily as a track car I don't think GM wanted to do that.
+1
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post
I think the main reason behind it (at least as far as I've understood it) is that the 1LE has always been pushed as a "track ready" car. Sure, you could do some work to make it better, but you could just show up to the track from the showroom and put down some great times. By making a convertible model, one of two things would have to happen: GM would have to add a whole lot of structural reinforcement to keep that "track ready" title, adding a lot of weight to the car, impeding its performance. Or they would leave that to the customer, at which point the car loses the title. Either way, the car isn't going to perform as well on the track as a coupe and since the 1LE has been pushed so heavily as a track car I don't think GM wanted to do that.
Thats exacty it, the Vert would 'hurt' the performance, goals and intentions of the 1LE too much and is just not in line with achieving its true goal as a track ready car.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I'm actually a little surprised that the 1LE didn't come in 1SS non RS only. Kind of like the new Z/28 mentality. But I guess two things. They had a hint the Z/28 was coming, and they might not have sold as many without the bells and whistles.

Just that if I recall in 1989 or whatever if you did an air conditioning delete it would trigger the 1LE package with aluminum driveshaft and upgraded brakes, so really set up for the track.
That is exactly why I ordered mine 1SS with no RS package or anything else except the back up camera. My intent was to get a "stripped" down SS with only track goodies on it. The 1LE was built with one thing in mind -track days and to beat up on the Boss 302.