Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
Boost limit?

How much boost can we safely run on the stock internals? I want to get the most out of my Procharger but don't want to blow my motor because I'm pushing on it to hard. If I have read correctly, adding meth injection will allow you to run more boost at a safer level. Do the 2 just offset each other?

Procharger,heads,cam,LT headers
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
I may be wrong on this but I think you need to worry more about horsepower than boost. Boost is a measure of back pressure. You can have two engines that have the same blower and pulley size but one is completely stock except the blower and the other engine has headers and head work and a cam. The stock engine might be at 8 psi and make 500 rwhp the built engine might be at 6 psi and make 600 rwhp due to less restriction in the engine. The numbers aren't necessarily accurate but you get the idea.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Cole@Fastlane

Drives: 2010 LSX shootout champions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
How much boost can we safely run on the stock internals? I want to get the most out of my Procharger but don't want to blow my motor because I'm pushing on it to hard. If I have read correctly, adding meth injection will allow you to run more boost at a safer level. Do the 2 just offset each other?

Procharger,heads,cam,LT headers
The amount of boost doesnt matter as much as the volume you are stuffing in the engine.Meth will allow you to run more boost without detonation but the stock lower end can only take so much.Tuned properly (and that is key here) you can safely run high 500s rwhp on a daily driver an expect a pretty good life out of it.

Last edited by Cole@Fastlane; 05-05-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Cole@Fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole@Fastlane View Post
The amount of boost doesnt matter as much as the volume you are stuffing in the engine.Meth will alow you to run more boost without detonation but the stock lower end can only take so much.Tuned properly (and that is key here) you can safely run high 500s rwhp on a daily driver an expect a pretty good life out of it.

Listen to Cole, he is giving you some realistic numbers and they have built quite a few of these. (I am not affiliated with them, but did meet them at C5Fest - nice group)

There are many that will sell you a FI system that will pump 800-1000 hp on the top end, but the LS3/L99 does have limits. Luckily, many seem to be holding up so far.

The group I work with out west did some testing and split the bottom of the cylinders at about the 800 hp mark on 5 consecutive blocks, but that was the "older" blocks. From what we have heard, the newer (read 2008 on) LS3/L99 is about 20% stronger than the old ones.

Last edited by speedster; 05-05-2010 at 12:51 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Listen to Cole, he is giving you some realistic numbers and they have built quite a few of these. (I am not affiliated with them, but did meet them at C5Fest - nice group)

There are many that will sell you a FI system that will pump 800-1000 hp on the top end, but the LS3/L99 does have limits. Luckily, many seem to be holding up so far.

The group I work with out west did some testing and split the bottom of the cylinders at about the 800 hp mark on 5 consecutive blocks, but that was the "older" blocks. From what we have heard, the newer (read 2010 on) LS3/L99 is about 20% stronger than the old ones.
Speedster, are you refering to the LS2 block when you say older? Or was there an LS3 casting change at some point that I'm unaware of?
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
TC

Thanks guys, makes sense I just didn't think about it like that. You see all these numbers posted all over with crazy numbers and don't know what to believe or what was really done to the motor to get to those numbers. I'm at like 606hp and 587 tq. I don't want to do anything stupid but like every guy always want more.

I have heard anywhere from 600-700 is the limit on a stock bottom end. If this is correct I guess I am happy.

My tuner is very good and likes to stay on the safe side.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Pope Designs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Rally Yellow
I have very near the same set up as you. I am at 654rwhp. I did upgrade to a dual fuel pump and meth is in the near future. I am at 6.5 psi

Bryan
Pope Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
TC

I did have to install a boost-a-pump. Had it at 616hp but backed it off a little.

I know I am losing some with my 1 3/4" headers and my cam. I didn't plan on ever doing a blower and when I did I choose to leave the cam from my first round of mods and smaller headers in it. Called procharger to make sure the cam would work, they said I'd probally lose 10-15 hp but it would work. I figure maybe 5-10 for the smaller headers, didn't seam like enough return on my money to swap.

When the motor goes or maybe a winter project.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Cole@Fastlane

Drives: 2010 LSX shootout champions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
Thanks guys, makes sense I just didn't think about it like that. You see all these numbers posted all over with crazy numbers and don't know what to believe or what was really done to the motor to get to those numbers. I'm at like 606hp and 587 tq. I don't want to do anything stupid but like every guy always want more.

I have heard anywhere from 600-700 is the limit on a stock bottom end. If this is correct I guess I am happy.

My tuner is very good and likes to stay on the safe side.
If this is a stock bottom end you need to stop where you are if you dont want to be building a short block any time soon.Depending on how much you beat on your car will determine how long it will last.
Cole@Fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
TC

Good thing I don't drive it that often then!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Speedster, are you refering to the LS2 block when you say older? Or was there an LS3 casting change at some point that I'm unaware of?
I believe most were LS2s and one was an LS7. They had more "piston slap" I edited the date in the above post to the 2008 Corvette release of the LS3. But also note the 800 hp level was complete reproducible FAILURE on those blocks.