Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #57
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Gunpowder is your key to victory. Two or three rounds through his block should guarantee a win. Honestly, you can get there, it all depends on who can ignore the wife longer when spending on the car. Seriously, keep increasing boost as far as you can, and work on your launch.
Yep, good advice. To be honest though, both of our wives don't seem to give a crap about the money we waste on our cars. Both keepers.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #58
Fraxum

I am in Florida this week. Next week I will try again.

But sadly someone backed into my 1LE and drove off. Before that not a scratch. And I took a small rock on the windshield.

The perils of long distance driving and hotel parking.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #59
Fraxum

Went to Atco a couple of nights ago. I am still chasing Pat's Paxton 2200 5.0. He was running 11.3-4 with his 490 rwhp tune and 305 section 18" ET Streets. His 60s were not that good. Now I am sure even the way it sits his 5.0 is a 10 second car in the fall. And he is planning to add LTs and a convertor. Crap.

I drove his car once but chickened out on the 1-2 shift and ran a 12.2. Best I could do with high humidity in the 1LE was 12.0s with a 1.85 60'. My MPH was down to 119 from 122.

But my 1LE was completely awesome on a 2,500 mile road trip. Really comfortable. And my daughter was very impressed with the twin turbo ability to merge on to I-95.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #60
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Converter? He will easily drop a half a second. He better get a 15 inch set up though.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #61
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Converter? He will easily drop a half a second. He better get a 15 inch set up though.
Funny you should say that:

Now Pat is running 11.1@128 with the 15s. And holding off on the convertor for now.

But he is adding more fuel and Boost.

While I am starting to launch better with a couple of 1.85s, I am mired in the 11.9-12.0s. At least those 5.0 tail lights are pretty.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #62
Fraxum

Yet another matchup. I am still stuck at 11.9/12.0. My launches still awful. Most at 2.0, but every once in a while at 1.85. I am having trouble modulating the power between bogging and blowing off the tires. Usually it's the bog. Other big TT setups are also having trouble launching. I am thinking maybe to go with smaller turbos, I am at (2)51MM now. Smaller turbos should hit lower with more torque.

Pat (Mr. GT) on the other hand is closing in on 10s at 11.1. He is getting a more aggressive tune and a BAP to put him over the top.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #63
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yet another matchup. I am still stuck at 11.9/12.0. My launches still awful. Most at 2.0, but every once in a while at 1.85. I am having trouble modulating the power between bogging and blowing off the tires. Usually it's the bog. Other big TT setups are also having trouble launching. I am thinking maybe to go with smaller turbos, I am at (2)51MM now. Smaller turbos should hit lower with more torque.

Pat (Mr. GT) on the other hand is closing in on 10s at 11.1. He is getting a more aggressive tune and a BAP to put him over the top.

Great thread!!! Man those 5.0's are fast!!! In the fall I will be back at E-town with DR's, I will try to turn my 12.4's (street tires) to 11.99's...

Last edited by NinoSS; 07-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #64
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
You just need to work on tires/suspension. Then you can add power.

I know AGPs shop car with base turbos (56mm) went 10.9@136 with nt05Rs on 18" forgestars. Not much else done to the car besides exhaust.

Got a circle D 4c stall for my 5.0 in the garage. May install it at AGP this weekend. Should be a solid 11.5 car then with just intake/xpipe/tune and converter.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #65
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
what kind of MPH are you getting Fraxum?

it is fun having a rival that you are chasing down, but it can be frustrating lol. When I raced in a local index series, there was one guy in my class that I did everything I could to beat him, and never once did I get the upper hand. We were in a 13.50 index and my 07 was right there around 13.60s but this guy just had my number. Added 4.10s and did some suspension work and eventually got my 3V to be a 13.30 second car and all it came down to was the driver. He was just better than me. He would get me at the tree and that was all she wrote.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #66
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Smaller turbos is not the answer. You need a real drag tire on that car as manuals and short sidewall drag radials dont work well. Try dropping the pressure to 15psi next time and you should be able to rev higher without blowing them off and getting over that bog. As for you buddy, tell him to get rid of that intake if he wants his 11s
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #67
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
what kind of MPH are you getting Fraxum?
Depending on the air I run 119-122.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #68
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
You just need to work on tires/suspension. Then you can add power.

I know AGPs shop car with base turbos (56mm) went 10.9@136 with nt05Rs on 18" forgestars. Not much else done to the car besides exhaust.

Got a circle D 4c stall for my 5.0 in the garage. May install it at AGP this weekend. Should be a solid 11.5 car then with just intake/xpipe/tune and converter.
I bet running 136 that AGP car is making big power. Mine is still @ 6lbs. so I am running around 120. If I can connect a good 60' for me (1.8) with good air I can run about 11.6-7. About the same as a good running cammed SS. I could go poly bushings, but some of that bushing compression is giving me a little more weight transfer. I do have BMR trailing arms and outer poly bushings. I also have the ZL1 toe rods. I usually do not have any wheel hop. I bog more often than spin. I am on 20 pound 18" TSWs with NT555Rs. I know NT05Rs and ET Streets are better.

Yea, those 5.0s are fast! Not looking forward to Pat putting a convertor on his car. I won't be able to read the "GT" on his trunk any more. Looking forward to the fatter 2015 5.0s.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #69
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Smaller turbos is not the answer. You need a real drag tire on that car as manuals and short sidewall drag radials dont work well. Try dropping the pressure to 15psi next time and you should be able to rev higher without blowing them off and getting over that bog. As for your buddy, tell him to get rid of that intake if he wants his 11s
Pat is looking for 10s. He is probably already there. I did not go to Atco last night. And weirdly his tuner recommended that airbox with the big Paxton.

I am running 18s on on the back now. I could run 17" welds, but they are pricey. Anything else smaller than 18s would mean I would have to go with smaller brakes and suspension grinding and/or rework. I don't want to go there with the 1LE.

Pat is able to run 15s with only a little grinding. :(

You are right about the PSI. I usually don't go too low so that I don't have to get in line to air up before going home. In the fall I will go lower when we get some good air. I should be able to get deep in the 11s as it sits with the good driver mod. Pat will be in the mid to high 10s.

I do think that smaller turbos would be more in keeping with the 1LE and make the car more fun to drive and faster on a real track. I know it will not hurt my 1/4 times and the extra torque will help launch the car. My car currently builds 200 rwhp between 3-4K making it hard for me to modulate the launch. I can just buy the turbos and bolt them on with no retune so says AGP.

Now ball bearing or journal bearing turbos? Hmmmmmm.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #70
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
18" TSWs with NT555Rs. I know NT05Rs and ET Streets are better.

There is your problem right there. the NT555R "drag radial" IMO is one of the worst drag radials you can use. I honestly think you would be pleasantly surprised how much a difference a set of ET streets would do.

switching from Nittos to the Mickeys was the best decision I ever made when I was looking to get my best times. the NT555Rs are a fine street tire IMO, but as a drag radial from personal experience...I think there are stickier street tires than the NT555R
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote