Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #29
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
We've sold several of our 3.75" Carbon Fiber shafts for the 2010 Camaro. They all worked out great.
We sell them with a billet pinion yoke for the rear diff so you can get rid of the adapter and get away from the bolts that bend or break back there.
If your not making that much power we can do one with an adapter, we have PST make our shafts. I know they have made Carbon Fiber shafts for some guys on here without the billet pinion yoke.
Were starting a new batch of pinion yokes this week if anyone is needing one.

Thanks
Chris
What does the one with just the regular adapter weigh and how much is it?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #30
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
aluminum Cv shaft

Hi, yes i would have to say for the extra cost and chance of the heat problem with the carbon fibers glue an aluminum one piece shaft would be a great alternative. like i said all the parts would be the same except for the tube so you decide

Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #31
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
What does the one with just the regular adapter weigh and how much is it?

It weighs about the same as the stock because it uses a cv joint on the front. If it had the same rubber adapters like the stock one then it would weigh less but then it wouldnt be any better the stock.
Cost is $1250.

The real benifit from Carbon Fiber is the strength and reduction in drivetrain shock.
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #32
4RD H8R
Beating 5.0's since 1988

Drives: 2010 RS SS M6
I don't know for sure but I think this would be similar in real world results to a old 180* crankshaft. They used to make small block chevy cranks with the throws at 180* instead of 90* in round track racing. The reasoning was not for power but for acceleration. You could build 2 identical engines but put a 180* crank in one, 90* in the other, on a dyno they would make almost identical power, but on the track it was a different story. The 180* would out accelerate the standard engine coming out of corners due to less rotating mass in the engine. They would pull a car length or two by revving quicker. I had a 180* 392ci chevy (3 5/8 stroke 400 block) and it would rev like crazy but it sounded like a v-6 (side effect of the crank/cam/firing order). They ended up outlawing them because of the unfair advantage they had.

It might not sound like a lot but 2-3 pounds lighter in rotating mass like that, especialy in a extended race like round track or road couse, could be a great benifit. It just won't show up on a dyno, unless mabey you are looking at how long it takes you to accelerate on a chassis dyno with the c/f vs. without?

Beating the crap out of my Camaros for 23+ years 1973, 1970 1/2, 1979, 1968, 1971, 2010
4RD H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #33
Driveshaftshop

lighter is better

Hmm, interesting point. We could use a smaller u-joint to save weight on one and and lighten the CV housing like we did for Reese Millens Red Bull Pikes Peak car on the CV. if your willing to sacrifice some strength on the joint i would be willing to make one and have some one test it ? im new at posting and cant seem to figure out how to post a picture on here. if someone would give me some hints ill post 2 ways we lighten the CV we just recieved our destructive test results on our Carbon fiber bonds for a 1310 joint shaft and to our suprise the niether the bond or the tube broke but the joint did at 3100lbs (this is using one of our special solid u-joints)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #34
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
im new at posting and cant seem to figure out how to post a picture on here. if someone would give me some hints ill post 2 ways we lighten the CV
You need to have the pics you want to use on a share site (photobucket, flickr etc) then copy the direct link to the photo from the site and use the "insert image" button above (yellowish square w/ mountains) and paste that direct link info there.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
You need to have the pics you want to use on a share site (photobucket, flickr etc) then copy the direct link to the photo from the site and use the "insert image" button above (yellowish square w/ mountains) and paste that direct link info there.
or you can click go advanced and then manage attachments and upload them from your HD or via a link to another site.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #36
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Hmm, interesting point. We could use a smaller u-joint to save weight on one and and lighten the CV housing like we did for Reese Millens Red Bull Pikes Peak car on the CV. if your willing to sacrifice some strength on the joint i would be willing to make one and have some one test it ? im new at posting and cant seem to figure out how to post a picture on here. if someone would give me some hints ill post 2 ways we lighten the CV we just recieved our destructive test results on our Carbon fiber bonds for a 1310 joint shaft and to our suprise the niether the bond or the tube broke but the joint did at 3100lbs (this is using one of our special solid u-joints)
To post pics, when you reply to a post, click on the advanced button. Scroll down till you see the advanced options section and click on the "Manage Attachments" button. You can attach and upload pics from your hard drive there.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

What would the power rating be on the lightened joint?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD H8R View Post
I don't know for sure but I think this would be similar in real world results to a old 180* crankshaft. They used to make small block chevy cranks with the throws at 180* instead of 90* in round track racing. The reasoning was not for power but for acceleration. You could build 2 identical engines but put a 180* crank in one, 90* in the other, on a dyno they would make almost identical power, but on the track it was a different story. The 180* would out accelerate the standard engine coming out of corners due to less rotating mass in the engine. They would pull a car length or two by revving quicker. I had a 180* 392ci chevy (3 5/8 stroke 400 block) and it would rev like crazy but it sounded like a v-6 (side effect of the crank/cam/firing order). They ended up outlawing them because of the unfair advantage they had.

It might not sound like a lot but 2-3 pounds lighter in rotating mass like that, especialy in a extended race like round track or road couse, could be a great benifit. It just won't show up on a dyno, unless mabey you are looking at how long it takes you to accelerate on a chassis dyno with the c/f vs. without?
A dyno is good for some things but they're not the be-all end-all for performance measuring. I'm all in favor of improving car response times which is why I've spent the time and money I have so far on my car. Between just the wheels and brake rotors I've removed 55 lbs of unsprung rotating weight from the car (that's the total of all 4 corners) and believe me, I can feel the difference. The driveshaft is the last part of my plan for rotating weight. Well for now at least until I get the mod bug again and start looking at the engine.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #39
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
A dyno is good for some things but they're not the be-all end-all for performance measuring. I'm all in favor of improving car response times which is why I've spent the time and money I have so far on my car. Between just the wheels and brake rotors I've removed 55 lbs of unsprung rotating weight from the car (that's the total of all 4 corners) and believe me, I can feel the difference. The driveshaft is the last part of my plan for rotating weight. Well for now at least until I get the mod bug again and start looking at the engine.

Cool stuff Doc...

Hey, if you take the crank out of the engine it gets rid of a bunch of rotating weight...

55 lbs is a lot. You can probably shave some more off with selected suspension components too. Your car will be a beast...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #40
Driveshaftshop

CV joint

Quote:
What would the power rating be on the lightened joint?
Being we use a custom 108mm Cv with upgraded internals it would be capable of about 6500ft lbs of torque, thanks for the picture thing guys. i'll post some pictures tomorrow of what we can cut safely and what it would represent in weight savings. Here is a picture of the style we did for Millen.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Being we use a custom 108mm Cv with upgraded internals it would be capable of about 6500ft lbs of torque, thanks for the picture thing guys. i'll post some pictures tomorrow of what we can cut safely and what it would represent in weight savings. Here is a picture of the style we did for Millen.

Now that's a beautiful joint... If that's what they're going to look like, I may have to put a window in the center console so people can see poetry in motion.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Cool stuff Doc...

Hey, if you take the crank out of the engine it gets rid of a bunch of rotating weight...

55 lbs is a lot. You can probably shave some more off with selected suspension components too. Your car will be a beast...
Ya know... it's thinking like that that can get you far in a government job...

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM