Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I used them in the snow at the recommendation of peers on C5. I never lost traction, slipped or slid one bit in some pretty difficult situations. I'm sure some of that was traction control, but especially on take offs & decelleration to stop, using the shifters probably helped.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I use mine every time I drive my Camaro, the paddle shifters are awesome, I love winding out the gears and listening to the sound of my LT's and Corsa exhaust, many people think my car is a stick, the paddle shifters are definitely one of my favorite things about these awesome Camaros.
Totally agree... love em!!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
I use them with Stability Control and Traction Control off. Its fun. Just hold the "shift up" paddle to go back to S mode (I usually do this around traffic). But 4th and 5th are very rewarding at high rpms. 6th gear is just to save gas lol.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
I use them with Stability Control and Traction Control off. Its fun. Just hold the "shift up" paddle to go back to S mode (I usually do this around traffic). But 4th and 5th are very rewarding at high rpms. 6th gear is just to save gas lol.
I tried to dothe SHIFT Up paddle to return to S mode and did'nt work. I guess that's available on later prodection models. Mine is a very early one - Vin# 602 and I beleive my car does'nt hae this option. Any guess???
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Been using them to keep my AFM in check. But that's not a concern for LT drivers...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
I tried to dothe SHIFT Up paddle to return to S mode and did'nt work. I guess that's available on later prodection models. Mine is a very early one - Vin# 602 and I beleive my car does'nt hae this option. Any guess???
hmmm, you got me there? I would assume all production models had this feature. I usually hold the shift up paddle for about a good second or two and it goes from M to S mode. Before i found this out i would just shift from S to D then back to S quickly.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
hmmm, you got me there? I would assume all production models had this feature. I usually hold the shift up paddle for about a good second or two and it goes from M to S mode. Before i found this out i would just shift from S to D then back to S quickly.
It's been determined that early models don't have that feature also I believe the 2011 can use the paddles in D 2010's cannot
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
Clark Grizwald
Brewmaster

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2015 Tundra 1794
Thanks for the great feedback! I never knew about Sport mode....I wondered about the S when I went to manual mode. I just looked in the owners manual to see what it said and it doesn't say much...except the car recognizes "competitive driving" and holds the gears longer. It was easy to over look. Now I'm anxious to see how it performs in sport mode. Are you guys (and/or gals) seeing a big drop in gas mileage?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
What's gas mileage?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
wlee32

Drives: 2011 2LT Blk/Orange Strip & int
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I've used them a few times, but the shifts are so soft and laggy it seems rather pointless so I just leave it in S or D now. If I want to shift I jump in the SS and start rowing ...
Haha. Sounds like you should throw in a short throw shifter..?
wlee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
JJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
OK, so now I am slightly confused. I have a 2011 SS. I have a D and an M option, cannot see anything about an S option.

Whilst in D I can flip the paddles to go into Manual mode OR I can move the auto stick from D to M.

My understanding of M mode was that it is a "sport" mode where revs are kept higher before auto gear changes and as the book says, it is in "competitive" mode.

Shifting back to D with the shift or holding right paddle for 2+ secs will put back to D. You can drive in full auto mode in M providing paddles are not engaged, and so my interpretation is that M is the sport mode previous posts were referring to.

Or am I off target here?
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
M gives you Sport mode if you don't touch the paddles.
If you're in M and you touch one of the paddles, then you're in manual mode (and you use the paddles to shift).
The paddles don't work in D.

If you're in M and using the paddles, hold the rt. paddle for a few seconds to switch back to sport mode.
Watch the Driver Info Center.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #27
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
OK, so now I am slightly confused. I have a 2011 SS. I have a D and an M option, cannot see anything about an S option.

Whilst in D I can flip the paddles to go into Manual mode OR I can move the auto stick from D to M.

My understanding of M mode was that it is a "sport" mode where revs are kept higher before auto gear changes and as the book says, it is in "competitive" mode.

Shifting back to D with the shift or holding right paddle for 2+ secs will put back to D. You can drive in full auto mode in M providing paddles are not engaged, and so my interpretation is that M is the sport mode previous posts were referring to.

Or am I off target here?

You are correct.

D= Drive
M= Sport mode
M + Buttons = Manual mode (tapshift)
You can also use the tapshift feature when in the M position I believe on the 2011 when in ndrive using tapshift if you do not use it for a bit it will go back to auto, in M it will stay in tapshift so you must shift manually or hold the button to go back to sport mode "M"

I don't no why GM didn't put a friggin "S" there instead of "M" to make it less confusing
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
When you move the shifter to "M" you are in sport mode. The "s" is on the DIC. You'll stay in sport mode until you hit the paddle shifters or go back to "D".
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote