Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #29
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Dana vs 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS1LE View Post
Yeah I've been researching, just trying to see and find best product for the money, I wanna build it and never have to worry about how much power I put into it, while also not cutting off an arm and a leg for it. I know it takes money to go fast that's why I'm researching and asking questions before I make that big of a decision
I hear ya. I did some more digging on the forum, in this section actually, and found another post from the GEForce guys and I think there's a slight lean towards the 9", since it has more gear ratios available and is a proven performer. That's what most drag racers run. Plus, the GForce guys build this thing, so it's their baby. However, the ring and pinion are larger on the Dana and apparently they consume less power and weigh 25 lbs less. You have less gear choices now, and it's not as easy to swap gears or fix it, since the front doesn't drop out, but that argument really only applies to old school muscle cars where you had to remove the entire big a$$ DANA housing. With the 5th gen, the entire DANA "housing" is just the center piece vs the drop out for the 9"....and you'd probably take out the whole 9" housing anyway with the rear sub. So, same shizz. GEForce also offers the Dana with their axles and DS and a full warranty, so it sounds like either way it's more of a preference thing. I have 1400hp DSS axles already in my upgraded stock diff and it sounds like I might be able to re-use those if I buy the DANA, ( need to confirm that), so I am leaning towards the DANA. That's $1500 NOT wasted. On a personal note, I've never broken a 9" in a Mustang or a DANA in any of my Mopars in the past, and that was always THE diff to have....although that sucker was heavy!
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #30
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Im shooting for a nine second daily driver. I bought a 3.73 zl1 rear diff and axles with hubs and driveshaft for tons less. It will take what im building but one has to set a real end goal before buying something.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Yeah I've been researching, just trying to see and find best product for the money, I wanna build it and never have to worry about how much power I put into it, while also not cutting off an arm and a leg for it. I know it takes money to go fast that's why I'm researching and asking questions before I make that big of a decision
I would use what the 7 second 5th gen uses then ......Hendrix Engineering. ...You are diffently looking at it right, do it once and forget it..While every one is trying to help and everyone loves to save money i would like to hear from someone with a quick stick and the stock zl1 stuff.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #32
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
I would use what the 7 second 5th gen uses then ......Hendrix Engineering. ...You are diffently looking at it right, do it once and forget it..While every one is trying to help and everyone loves to save money i would like to hear from someone with a quick stick and the stock zl1 stuff.
Hmmm, I'm betting 9" for you guys, and I hear Janetty is putting a Dana in their big build. Sounds like GAME ON.
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #33
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
I hear ya. I did some more digging on the forum, in this section actually, and found another post from the GEForce guys and I think there's a slight lean towards the 9", since it has more gear ratios available and is a proven performer. That's what most drag racers run. Plus, the GForce guys build this thing, so it's their baby. However, the ring and pinion are larger on the Dana and apparently they consume less power and weigh 25 lbs less. You have less gear choices now, and it's not as easy to swap gears or fix it, since the front doesn't drop out, but that argument really only applies to old school muscle cars where you had to remove the entire big a$$ DANA housing. With the 5th gen, the entire DANA "housing" is just the center piece vs the drop out for the 9"....and you'd probably take out the whole 9" housing anyway with the rear sub. So, same shizz. GEForce also offers the Dana with their axles and DS and a full warranty, so it sounds like either way it's more of a preference thing. I have 1400hp DSS axles already in my upgraded stock diff and it sounds like I might be able to re-use those if I buy the DANA, ( need to confirm that), so I am leaning towards the DANA. That's $1500 NOT wasted. On a personal note, I've never broken a 9" in a Mustang or a DANA in any of my Mopars in the past, and that was always THE diff to have....although that sucker was heavy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
Soooo, where does the Dana fall then? Sounds like it's a lone step child
It's the red-headed step child.

Quote:
With that said, I do have an M6, Dana, and 1000+rwhp. It has taken everything I put at it. It simply was a bolt-in. I disconnected the axles, driveshaft, unbolted the 3 bolts that hold in the diff. and dropped out the old one. The Dana simply bolted right up, reused the aftermarket axles, and put in the new DS. The Dana will accept all axles. DSS and GForce both sell the Dana. Strange is who manufactures the Dana, but take the orders from the vendors. When or if you decide to purchase it, tell them what axles you have. The shorter stubs take either OEM or one of the vendors replacement axles. The longer stubs take the 9" axles. Granted, gear selection isn't wide, but if you're making the car a daily driver, you're not gonna go shorter than 3.90. Here are comparison pics of the Dana vs. Stock. I had a one piece DS with the stock unit, however, you can see that the Dana is longer so it requires a shorter DS. I ended up purchasing the new DS and selling the other one. There are also multiple selections with the DS.

H-E, I have beat the piss out of the Dana without any problems whatsoever. I've put it through it's pace at the strip, using my linelock and dumping the clutch and not a single issue. This IMO is a very strong unit, put together very well. I have a roll racing event that I'm going to attend to see how well the rear allows for high speed pulls.
Attached Images

2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #34
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
Wait till you see our NEW 2nd Generation 9" kit with all the added things we have learned over the last few years.....
I'm excited I can hardly wait.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #35
SilverSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedStealth View Post

With that said, I do have an M6, Dana, and 1000+rwhp. It has taken everything I put at it. It simply was a bolt-in. I disconnected the axles, driveshaft, unbolted the 3 bolts that hold in the diff. and dropped out the old one. The Dana simply bolted right up, reused the aftermarket axles, and put in the new DS. The Dana will accept all axles. DSS and GForce both sell the Dana. Strange is who manufactures the Dana, but take the orders from the vendors. When or if you decide to purchase it, tell them what axles you have. The shorter stubs take either OEM or one of the vendors replacement axles. The longer stubs take the 9" axles. Granted, gear selection isn't wide, but if you're making the car a daily driver, you're not gonna go shorter than 3.90. Here are comparison pics of the Dana vs. Stock. I had a one piece DS with the stock unit, however, you can see that the Dana is longer so it requires a shorter DS. I ended up purchasing the new DS and selling the other one. There are also multiple selections with the DS.

H-E, I have beat the piss out of the Dana without any problems whatsoever. I've put it through it's pace at the strip, using my linelock and dumping the clutch and not a single issue. This IMO is a very strong unit, put together very well. I have a roll racing event that I'm going to attend to see how well the rear allows for high speed pulls.
So if I were to look at purchasing the Dana I would be buying just the pumpkin, then make sure I specify which axles I'm gonna go with to get the right stubs installed in the Dana? Any warranty with the Dana?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #36
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:

that's great, what kind of 60ft and et are you getting? We just replaced a zl1 setup , he's second one and he's at 800hp.I have a customer that wanted a dana so that's what we went with.I like the fact I can go to any parts store in any town and get parts for the 9 inch , that can't be said about the other choices.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #37
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
What stage HammerHead did you have? Stage 1, I can see happening because of less than popular internals, but with a Stage 2 or 3, you didn't break.

OP, there are a lot of options out there. I was tossing around the idea of a 9" when I went to my current build. When I originally put the 427 in, I had my rear beefed up with TrueTrac, caps, and LPW cover. It actually lasted took the full force of what I had. When I was deciding on what rear to go with, I debated about the 9". With everyone's reviews on it, you get either a hit-or-miss. So for me too many mixed reviews. I looked into the Hammerhead but decided it was too much and not enough of talk about it. In the end I went with a Dana 60. The price was right, not too many reviews, but as long as you use the Stange S-Trac, you get the lifetime warranty.

BTW, my beefed rear was taking 811rwhp at the time.
Not sure what stage, as it's an alumimum case with a Wavetrack. Our thoughts is it's gear deflection going on.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #38
SuperchargedStealth

Quote:
So if I were to look at purchasing the Dana I would be buying just the pumpkin, then make sure I specify which axles I'm gonna go with to get the right stubs installed in the Dana? Any warranty with the Dana?
Correct. They have stubs for OEM and aftermarket, then they have stubs for those who had a 9" rear. So, it's great for the fact that they thought of that for customers. Don't forget, you're gonna need a DS for it. OEM and those who bought a aftermarket one to replace the stock, will not fit on the Dana, or any of the other diffs. There is a lifetime warranty on the S-Trac. The S-Trac is the posi unit inside the Dana. You don't have to worry about the actual casing breaking. As it was stated before the Dana uses a larger 9.75" casing.

Quote:
that's great, what kind of 60ft and et are you getting? We just replaced a zl1 setup , he's second one and he's at 800hp.I have a customer that wanted a dana so that's what we went with.I like the fact I can go to any parts store in any town and get parts for the 9 inch , that can't be said about the other choices.
I suck a drag racing. I have drag radials on and I still have a hard time getting off the line. I need to get the launch control working. Granted there are more parts for the 9", but what is going to be replaced once the unit is installed? I would think that with the amount someone spends on the unit that it should hold up to a decent amount of abuse. The only thing I can think of that would need to be replaced is the R&P if the driver decides to swap gears. Since the gears are supplied by Richmond, you can go online and order them.
2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #39
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Correct. They have stubs for OEM and aftermarket, then they have stubs for those who had a 9" rear. So, it's great for the fact that they thought of that for customers. Don't forget, you're gonna need a DS for it. OEM and those who bought a aftermarket one to replace the stock, will not fit on the Dana, or any of the other diffs. There is a lifetime warranty on the S-Trac. The S-Trac is the posi unit inside the Dana. You don't have to worry about the actual casing breaking. As it was stated before the Dana uses a larger 9.75" casing.

I suck a drag racing. I have drag radials on and I still have a hard time getting off the line. I need to get the launch control working. Granted there are more parts for the 9", but what is going to be replaced once the unit is installed? I would think that with the amount someone spends on the unit that it should hold up to a decent amount of abuse. The only thing I can think of that would need to be replaced is the R&P if the driver decides to swap gears. Since the gears are supplied by Richmond, you can go online and order them.
I hope you don't take this wrong but to me I don't see you putting your stuff to the test without a bunch of great launches and hard runs.I see this a lot , parts get recommending because someone has it in there 2000 hp car but they forget to mention they spend more time at sonic than the track.Of coarse it's everyone's money to get what works for them but what works for the sonic guy won't work with some with half the power that gets it to stick.I also deal with customers daily some have the misfortune of being somewhere and needing a seal because the ran over something on the road, with a 9 inch it's a non issue.
Give me a call and I'll be glad to help you get your car to 60..call anytime and again nothing directed towards you personally
Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #40
SuperchargedStealth

I understand what you're saying. The way I looked at it, was that it was the best bang for the dollar. The entire unit has a limited warranty. The Posi unit itself is a lifetime warranty. My axles are covered by a shop. A 9" was an option at the time, but there were so many opinions and talk about it breaking or holding up, it just seemed too much of a gamble. Also the fact that you still have to buy the internals, it just added up. I also started looking when the 9" was in it's toddler stage. It would fit but you had to modify, it just didn't suit my needs. My launching, I have a plan. My Haltech has a launch controller built into it. I've got to toy with that to see what where a good launch point would be.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #41
Merc
In The Circle

I use a Lingenfelter LNC-003 and a CTAP-001 to launch my M6 at 4800rpm with slicks, works mint.

Last edited by Merc; 09-28-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #42
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. The way I looked at it, was that it was the best bang for the dollar. The entire unit has a limited warranty. The Posi unit itself is a lifetime warranty. My axles are covered by a shop. A 9" was an option at the time, but there were so many opinions and talk about it breaking or holding up, it just seemed too much of a gamble. Also the fact that you still have to buy the internals, it just added up. I also started looking when the 9" was in it's toddler stage. It would fit but you had to modify, it just didn't suit my needs. My launching, I have a plan. My Haltech has a launch controller built into it. I've got to toy with that to see what where a good launch point would be.
Man it seems I didn't do a very good job of promoting our 9 inch.I bought my Camaro to do a 9 inch, it was in the car at the very first Camaro fest.It seems a lot of issues you've heard about was from something other than ours, we've had very very few.There is absolutely zero mods to do to the car it bolts right in.Anyway I'm glad it's working for you and hopefully it will continue to do so , if not I will be glad to help you out .Once again give me a call and I will guarantee I can help you with getting your car to 60...