Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: Hurst or MGW!
Hurst 99 45.21%
MGW 120 54.79%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #29
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
there are several members from the hurst team on this board every day!..video as notated above is coming etc. etc.
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #30
TRooper
Resident Stormtrooper

Drives: Creations n' Chrome Red Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono83 View Post
I haven't tried either one yet, but I'm a huge believer in customer service. As demonstrated above and in other posts, George from MGW seems to be all about customer service. He has taken the time to prepare a step by step install video, and goes out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. I have yet to see a post from Hurst. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I'm not seeing anyone posting that they aren't happy with the MGW either. When I'm ready, I'm going with MGW.
As linkwpc mentioned above, Hurst just finished filming an installation video in HD on Friday. It is currently being edited, we are taking our time on the video, because we want it to be the best that it can be. I think we have some fantastic customer service here at Hurst. In addition to the usual Hurst contact phone, e-mail, and fax methods, I can be reached via pm on Camaro5 as well. I can think of 3 or 4 Camaro5 users that have my personal cell number. I have even been known to hang out with forum members at cruise nights and car shows just to talk about cars. This is usually off the clock, and I do it because I truly enjoy it. We are even hosting a Meet and Greet at our facility this Saturday in a hope to get some Camaro owners together for some good old fashioned car talk and hanging out. Both Hurst and our competitor make a great shifter, evidenced by their many happy customers. They are both leaps and bounds better than stock so I am sure you will be happy with either one.

Chris @ Hurst

Last edited by TRooper; 10-21-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling
TRooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
I didnt use the term "inferior" so I dont know who you're quoting.

Im talking about my own personal experience with Hurst shifters versus Pro 5.0 and MGW.

Are you sure about that? They've been bought out twice in the past 10 years or so... Seems like if they were making so much money they wouldnt be getting sold left and right... oh wait... maybe it's because anyone that's owned a V8 in the past 25 years knows the name Hurst!

I'm simply stating to imply HURST is using lower quality parts is rediculous. Is it common practice for Ford, GM, Dodge, Roush and the list goes on to use low quality parts?. Hurst is used in all those cars on a regular basis. Is it only because HURST has been around for 50 years?. no... Does it make sense the O.E.'s would use Hurst almost exclusively if they were concerned about them being sold and now owed by B&M, another solid and even larger shifter company?. No... Sure, brand recognition goes along way and HURST certainly has that cache, but regardless of that if they didn't make a quality part do you think any of the companies would stay in business that long?..no...
I mean really if you think about it from a volume standpoint, MGW sells on a much smaller scale then say a Hurst or B&M. MGW moves what, maybe a few hundred Ford shifters and Chevy shifters combined?. Hurst Moves what, Many thousands of units per year per brand. Now that's not to say one method is better than the other, but apples to apples its really not the same
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #32
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRooper View Post
As linkwpc mentioned above, Hurst just finished filming an installation video in HD on Friday. It is currently being edited, we are taking our time on the video, because we want it to be the best that it can be. I think we have some fantastic customer service here at Hurst. In addition to the usual Hurst contact phone, e-mail, and fax methods, I can be reached via pm on Camaro5 as well. I can think of 3 or 4 Camaro5 users that have my personal cell number. I have even been known to hang out with forum members at cruise nights and car shows just to talk about cars. This is usually off the clock, and I do it because I truly enjoy it. We are even hosting a Meet and Greet at our facility this Saturday in a hope to get some Camaro owners together for some good old fashioned car talk and hanging out. Both Hurst and our competitor make a great shifter, evidenced by their many happy customers. They are both leaps and bounds better than stock so I am sure you will be happy with either one.

Chris @ Hurst
well said chris!!!
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #33
The HACK

Drives: 2006 MZ4 Coupe, 2009 WRX Wagon
I'm a BMW guy and I'll offer a slight different perspective. I write for a local car club magazine and have had the "luxury" to test out products free or at reduced prices, so I've had just about every single brand of shifters on the market available installed in my car. If you guys are not familiar with BMWs, what was available was UUC, Rogue, and B&M.

So why did I bother to respond to this thread? Well, I loved my UUC shifter when I had it in my car. Also loved the Rogue. And the B&M. To be honest? None of these manufacturers are about putting out inferior products. Everything you will see on the market are engineered, re-engineered, and tested using the highest quality material money (and the margins) can afford. At the end of the day, I see on the BMW forums all the time, that everyone LOVES the [insert brand name here] short shifter they bought. And it's true. When I had each unit installed, I really enjoyed the quality and the shorter shift they provided. The main difference to me, was the UUC had a height adjustability feature and provided adjustment for better ergonomics, the Rogue had an isolated, special hard urethane bearing for smoothest, most OEM like effort and feel, and the B&M was the easiest one to install and had the most positive engagement, and the feel/NVH level was right in between the Rogue and UUC unit.

Again, what does any of this have to do with the Hurst/MGW poll? Simple. Those that bought MGW will love the MGW. Those who bought the Hurst unit will love Hurst. They're different enough to satisfy a slightly different niche. From the pictures posted here and actual units I've had the opportunity to touch and see, both Hurst and MGW make superb units, and if you have one or the other installed, you've made a great choice, doesn't really matter which unit you have. If you like a really short throw and that positive engagement, buy the Hurst. if you just like a moderate throw improvement on the stock shifter and like the MGW design, buy the MGW.

In the end, enjoy what you have. Having been personally involved with the folks at Hurst, I can honestly say they're great guys. Not having been personally involved with the folks at MGW, but from their design and their posting online, my opinion is that they're honest folks and likely great guys to deal with as well.

There's really no need to pit one against the other IMHO. Frankly, we should be thankful that both vendors are so active on this forum to lend a helping hand and that both are staying classy without any of this degenerating into a "my sh*t is better than your sh*t" war like what often happens on other forums.
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #34
mark_p

Drives: 2010 2SSRS m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW View Post
i would like to know who has the MGW you tried. i wouldl ike to hear htis feedback also... i cannot see how the 2-3 shift is less postive on this shifter as we have additional return springs built into our shifter and is HAS to feel more solid. i am worried he may have installed it incorrectly...

also as far as throw tell him to call me if he wants the throw shorter our shifter has an adjustable throw feature built into it!!

george
He is very happy with his shifter. he does not drag race etc like I do. he likes his better as he is an older gentleman and thinks the hurst is a little to agressive. He knows nothing about posting anything on the internet though. i can give him your number and he will call you though. I may add that I really like yor shifter as well. They are just different...
mark_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #35
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm a BMW guy and I'll offer a slight different perspective. I write for a local car club magazine and have had the "luxury" to test out products free or at reduced prices, so I've had just about every single brand of shifters on the market available installed in my car. If you guys are not familiar with BMWs, what was available was UUC, Rogue, and B&M.

So why did I bother to respond to this thread? Well, I loved my UUC shifter when I had it in my car. Also loved the Rogue. And the B&M. To be honest? None of these manufacturers are about putting out inferior products. Everything you will see on the market are engineered, re-engineered, and tested using the highest quality material money (and the margins) can afford. At the end of the day, I see on the BMW forums all the time, that everyone LOVES the [insert brand name here] short shifter they bought. And it's true. When I had each unit installed, I really enjoyed the quality and the shorter shift they provided. The main difference to me, was the UUC had a height adjustability feature and provided adjustment for better ergonomics, the Rogue had an isolated, special hard urethane bearing for smoothest, most OEM like effort and feel, and the B&M was the easiest one to install and had the most positive engagement, and the feel/NVH level was right in between the Rogue and UUC unit.

Again, what does any of this have to do with the Hurst/MGW poll? Simple. Those that bought MGW will love the MGW. Those who bought the Hurst unit will love Hurst. They're different enough to satisfy a slightly different niche. From the pictures posted here and actual units I've had the opportunity to touch and see, both Hurst and MGW make superb units, and if you have one or the other installed, you've made a great choice, doesn't really matter which unit you have. If you like a really short throw and that positive engagement, buy the Hurst. if you just like a moderate throw improvement on the stock shifter and like the MGW design, buy the MGW.

In the end, enjoy what you have. Having been personally involved with the folks at Hurst, I can honestly say they're great guys. Not having been personally involved with the folks at MGW, but from their design and their posting online, my opinion is that they're honest folks and likely great guys to deal with as well.

There's really no need to pit one against the other IMHO. Frankly, we should be thankful that both vendors are so active on this forum to lend a helping hand and that both are staying classy without any of this degenerating into a "my sh*t is better than your sh*t" war like what often happens on other forums.
Well Stated !!!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #36
95_9C1

Drives: Pontiac G8 GXP
nothing like watching them in action:

MGW movement

Hurst movement and in use

MGW in use
95_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #37
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
I have owned and installed Hurst shifters in several cars over the years - I know they make excellent products and have been very happy with the ones I owned. I was going to get a Hurst shifter for my Camaro until I found out about MGW shifters. I have installed a MGW shifter in my Camaro, why because of the reviews from MGW owners in cars with the same transmission, and because I felt a product that provides a complete package as oppose to replacing some of the factory components has to provide a better solution. I hope to have the opportunity to drive a new Camaro like mine with a Hurst shifter, however based on my experiences, I will expect it to be very good but not compare with MGW, in my opinion MGW is in a league of its own.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #38
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i never even heard of mgw before this week. ive been a firm believer in hurst and their history. but then again i dont know much about mgw.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #39
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Wow, that hurst shift is REALLY short! For such a long shift "stick" I expected the actual shift to be much longer...

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #40
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
Wow, that hurst shift is REALLY short! For such a long shift "stick" I expected the actual shift to be much longer...
That is good to know that it beater than you expected, That is one and one more to go.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #41
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
hahaha, just because I said it was really short, doesnt mean that's what I want.

After watching the vids above, I can see why one forum member posted that he had tried both, and that the Hurst shifter was shorter and felt more "useful" for drag racing, and the MGW to have a bit longer throw that would be better suited for a Daily Driver.

Im the latter, I dont need or want an ultra short shift throw. To each their own, how do you like yours 2SSRS?

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #42
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Main reason I'm going with MGW (besides the uber - positive feedback) is the chatter / metal-on-metal vibration sound that is either non-existent or less prevalent on the MGW as compared to the hurst.

My pro 5.0 in my fourth gen drove me insane with the chatter. I read a review of the MGW that says it has a very slight "hum" that is barely audible. Can anyone else confirm?

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote