Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
First off, welcome to the forums!

For a DD car I'd suggest staying with a stage 2 or below cam from the major cam builders. Depending on the manufacturer will depend on how big you can go with the cam. For example a TSP stage 2 cam is nearly identical to a BTR stage 3 cam. So you might have to do a TSP stage 1 cam to stay with a stock converter where you can get away with a BTR stage 2 cam.

An additional thing you'll need to consider is if you want to keep or ditch VVT. The benefit of VVT is you'll have more torque and a flatter torque curve. However, you'll lose top end hp. The thing is the difference isn't staggering, it's about 10 rwtq and 10 rwhp between the two for a NA setup VVT to non VVT counterpart. Whatever you do, be sure to delete AFM/DOD. There's some cams for people who really want to keep it, but you'll sacrifice power and be keeping the biggest weak link for the L99 and adding more stress on it, the AFM lifters.

Personally I'm running a BTR stage 2 NA LS3 cam. I opted to delete the VVT with the AFM/DOD and do a LS3 conversion. My reason was 2 reputable tuners strongly recommended deleting VVT because the power wasn't worth the added potential failure of the extra moving pieces. I still have a stock converter, which most will argue I'm leaving performance on the table, but the car drives great with how it's setup.

Also, Brian Tooley Racing, Texas Speed, and GPI are three of the most popular cam manufacturers.

Good luck in your search and happy modding!

Do you have any audio on yours? I'm having the same cam installed. BTR headers with Flows super 44's cat and res delete. Can't wait to hear it.
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #16
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Stick with a stage 1 cam if you want to keep the stock converter. I have TSP stage 2 ls3 cam with stock converter and its not too daily friendly.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
LINYSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
It's been brutal waiting lol. I'll be posting a build thread next week. Dyno videos too.
Just saw your car on the lift this past weekend
LINYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #18
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYSS View Post
Just saw your car on the lift this past weekend
Nice! I'll probably poke in tomorrow to pick up the cats and double check the gauge fit in my dash bezel pods project.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
Do you have any audio on yours? I'm having the same cam installed. BTR headers with Flows super 44's cat and res delete. Can't wait to hear it.

WHY WHY WHY are we picking a cam by the way it SOUNDS? Good lord.... How about what is the best cam for your situation and build, and how it sounds is how it sounds.

You can pick a cam by how it sounds, but when you drive it....it runs like crap, what have you gained?
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #20
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
lol, I picked mine by how it sounded.. And the performance I got from it with the LOD intake and the 4200 Circle D is astounding!!! The car went from being bada$$ to being a freakin MONSTER !! Can't wait to get to the track now!! My tuner when I bought the cam said that is was a pretty nasty cam for the street, but that is what I wanted, and with the converter, daily is a delight !! lol And sooooo much fun!
Old 10-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #21
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Let's get honest here. Half the joy of a cam is the chop chop. Unless you are tracking the car, it's not as critical to get every bit of power out of the engine. If that was the case, we would all have stage 4 cams. I selected a cam that has a nice chop but also works great with a centrifical blower. The car has never been on a track. The closest track is hours away so it most likely will remain a street animal.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Let's get honest here. Half the joy of a cam is the chop chop. Unless you are tracking the car, it's not as critical to get every bit of power out of the engine. If that was the case, we would all have stage 4 cams. I selected a cam that has a nice chop but also works great with a centrifical blower. The car has never been on a track. The closest track is hours away so it most likely will remain a street animal.
^^^^ My words and feelings exactly!!!! Well put. "Street Beast" for sure!!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
Warship2k15

Quote:
Ok I disagree on the chop chop being important I go for function over sound.
Now the funny thing is I usually end up with a moderate chop anyways because my builds usually have the supporting mods and make more torque and hp.
So for me even though I don’t base my choice on how it sounds I get both that and performance.Thats a win win in my book.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #24
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkurek View Post
WHY WHY WHY are we picking a cam by the way it SOUNDS? Good lord.... How about what is the best cam for your situation and build, and how it sounds is how it sounds.

You can pick a cam by how it sounds, but when you drive it....it runs like crap, what have you gained?
No one said I was by the sound. I think I I had posted that I'm having the same set up. And asked if he had audio of how it sounds. The curiosity is getting to me waiting on it to be done. I certainly ready to hear it.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #25
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
FYI: on a smaller cam with "not enough chop," you can tune-in the chop to your liking, too...

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #26
SSkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
FYI: on a smaller cam with "not enough chop," you can tune-in the chop to your liking, too...
Bingo. My stage 2 sounds just as rowdy as any cam Ive heard thats bigger.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #27
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
I have TSP ls3 stage 1, sounds great and drives awesome too. Glad I went with it, would never change it.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #28
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I did hear this from my builder this go around. Started having the tuner talk as that's getting near.