Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
2012 45th ann LS9 Z28 limited production.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
As an owner of a 1979 Z/28 I must point out that 175 hp was fairly respectable in 1979 (compared to what else was available).

I for one wanted a little more power so mine makes 300+ hp now (still with the original motor).

Heck, I fully understand that. Those were some pretty dreary years for performance. I lived through them myself. I am defintely not a spring chicken by any stretch of the imagination.

THe top "F" body at the time was the Pontiac Trans Am with the 4 Speed an the 400 c.i. Pontiac engine rated at 210 horsepower (if I remember correctly). (and there weren't too many of those built either).

Let's hope that never happens again.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Does anyone else find it a little annoying when someone says fact after they make a statement. It reminds me of lawyers and muslims (basically intellectual wanna bes) Einstein never said e=mc2 fact. Sorry I didn't mean to pick on you, I just see too many people using the statement "fact" as defining whatever it is that they say.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #18
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Could def see it happening. But who in their right mind is going to wait yet another 4 years??

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
wold be nice but i think it would be too long of a wait.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
There is no way the Z will come out at 3,000 pounds. As much as I WISH it would, it's not going to happen. Read some of Fbodfather's posts about weight and how hard it is to pass crash safety standards these days. Because of mandatory safety equipment, there is just no way. Fbodfather knows how important weight is and if he could have gotten the Camaro to come in at 3500 pounds, he would have. It was impossible.

If they could put a higher performance cam in the LS3 for the new Z, and find a way to drop it to 3700 pounds, get some nice suspension, and power up to 480 HP, it would compete with the GT500.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #21
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
yawn i am truly tired of reading his posts. he has no facts that are true. there is a possibility of sc z but lutz said no 600 hp sc but i didnt hear no 550 hp sc camaro did you?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #22
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
How many threads is this guy going to create about the "Z28" that was never mentioned officially once? Talk about ridiculous. It's like watching the stages of grief after a death. Anger, Reckoning, Bargaining, Acceptance. He's on bargaining now. Trying to convince himself that there is another way to build his fantasy car. LOL HAHAAHHA

Dude, for your own sanity, here's your answer. Buy a damn SS when it comes out and shut up Convince yourself that you don't need to have more than 425 horses. Or if you do, bolt on a damn supercharger.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #23
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
How many threads is this guy going to create about the "Z28" that was never mentioned officially once? Talk about ridiculous. It's like watching the stages of grief after a death. Anger, Reckoning, Bargaining, Acceptance. He's on bargaining now. Trying to convince himself that there is another way to build his fantasy car. LOL HAHAAHHA

Dude, for your own sanity, here's your answer. Buy a damn SS when it comes out and shut up Convince yourself that you don't need to have more than 425 horses. Or if you do, bolt on a damn supercharger.
It really is like that. That is the best way to explain it and it pisses me off so much no.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Name:  %21cid_003401c594ae%24bfb0e9f0%2406c85a42%40admin.gif
Views: 714
Size:  260.8 KB

It just never ends...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^ Tell me about it.

OK, Stop bashing people for posting threads here. Trust me the Mods will review every one and if deemed inappropriate we edit, or delete.

I agree there are plenty of Z28 or bust or get over it threads out there. The same can be said for weight, and LS3 vs L99, or turbos vs superchargers, or blue vs blue, or auto vs manual...

Stop being so pissy with each other. If you don't like the thread topic, send a PM to a mod or leave the thread alone. Obviously we want you to argue and debate the topics. But, let the Mods determine what threads belong and which don't.

This concludes your moderator public service announcement.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #26
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Attachment 7547

It just never ends...

LAWLZ !!!!

Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #27
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
Can you say Clone

Well if we don't get a Z28 we can always go clone with aftermarket stuff, lol. Look how many 69Z28 clones are out there now.

KJ
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
By now everyone on this forum has the information from GM that they will not be manufacturing a 2010 Z/28 Camaro.
No...we don't actually. Nobody, not even Scott has said that the Z28 is not going to be manufactured. They HAVE said, however, that there will be no Z28 out of the gate. There is a difference in terminology.

The "FACT" is it is not going to come out with a blower.
You don't know that. I don't know that. I doubt even GM knows that for 100% certain. Things change constantly; and the only FACT we have, is that the original plans for Z28 have become difficult to implement due to CAFE among other things. However your following points lend your idea credit:

The Z/28 in 1969 was built to compete in Trans Am racing."FACT" The best shot of getting a Z/28 back is to trace it to it's roots.... This car would be stripped of comfort features like leather,power windows,air conditioning etc... Have the car come in at around 3,000 to 3,200 LBS.
Such an idea will never wear the Z28 badge -- because a stripped-down-to-nothing-but-an-engine-and-a-frame car is not a Z28. What you propose (besides nearing on the impossible) will not be street legal. How do I know? Because Chrysler already did this. The Drag Challenger is near 3000 lbs, and it is NOT street legal.

But besides that, there are two problems with this thinking.
#1; a very few people will find a 100% stripped car appealing. Such a very few that the costs to implement such a Camaro will probably outweigh the sales revenue.

#2; You'll never get a streetable Zeta car down to 3000 lbs. 3600 maybe...if you try REAL hard, and spend LOTS of money, and sacrifice some durability.

However, this is not to say that I don't agree with you. I think a lower-weight, track-oriented Z28 is probably the route that will be taken. The good news is, the R+D for such a weight program could filter down to the rest of the Camaro's trim levels. Related: Holden Commodore

With bolt on parts as I described above this would indeed be the car to own and it would be cheaper than a super charged Z/28.
No it wouldn't. Most definitely not. What you proposed would be outrageously expensive. The weight-loss methods and materials alone would equal or go beyond the costs for a supercharger and supporting mods. Then you must factor in the costs associated to actually BUILDING this thing on the assembly line (it's not your average Camaro, and would require specialized attention)...or hand-building it (see: expensive).
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
The Camaro brand manager said there would be no Super Charged 2010 Camaro. Did you not see that statement? Lutz also stated Camaro would not have a Super Charger. That is "FACT". If you cant find these quotes I will email them to you.
I know you're talking to TAG, but I'd like to see these quotes too, please. Because it shocks me that I have no recollection of ANY of them.

In you last quote you said that GM is going to build what makes them money. You are 100% correct with that. If GM builds a Z/28 with the idea less is more regarding less weight and more power I think the car would be profitable and powerful. I am not trying to start a fight, just trying to show an option of how to get what we want. Jeff
I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions regarding losing weight v. adding a supercharger as they relate to cost......