Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #267
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
I'm not going to lie. I LOVE the looks of this kit and the power it makes. There are three things I'm worried about and only two being a real concern. Heat. I'm worried the under hood temperatures over time will cook everything under the hood and make it all brittle and fragile. Not only will I daily drive my car in the summer but I'll be going on plenty of 3-6 hour road trips.

Secondly is cracked headers. I know you lifetime warranty them but it's not something I want to change every 2-3 years. Anyone with either a mustang or camaro that has some significant miles and time with tip mount turbos? Like 50,000 miles and no issues?

And lastly because my car will be more of a hot rod or fun car than I can drive everywhere. Take to the odd car show and blow away the odd GT-R with on the highway I want to be able to hear my power adder. Can the turbos be heard other than wide open throttle? So hard to tell from the videos I've been watching.

Thanks. Kit does look amazing and we'll engineered. Just trying to decide if I should go this route or a Procharger.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 AM   #268
2011WhiteSS

Drives: 2011 White 2SS
Hellion, any EFR BorgWarner options with the V-band internal wastegated turbine housing and blowoff/bypass compressor housing. Seems it might simplify pluming and all the external items. Maybe even a wash on pricing Not to mention the spool-up of the EFR turbos puts even the ball bearing turbos to shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #269
'14-ELLIE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
I'm not going to lie. I LOVE the looks of this kit and the power it makes. There are three things I'm worried about and only two being a real concern. Heat. I'm worried the under hood temperatures over time will cook everything under the hood and make it all brittle and fragile. Not only will I daily drive my car in the summer but I'll be going on plenty of 3-6 hour road trips.

Secondly is cracked headers. I know you lifetime warranty them but it's not something I want to change every 2-3 years. Anyone with either a mustang or camaro that has some significant miles and time with tip mount turbos? Like 50,000 miles and no issues?

And lastly because my car will be more of a hot rod or fun car than I can drive everywhere. Take to the odd car show and blow away the odd GT-R with on the highway I want to be able to hear my power adder. Can the turbos be heard other than wide open throttle? So hard to tell from the videos I've been watching.

Thanks. Kit does look amazing and we'll engineered. Just trying to decide if I should go this route or a Procharger.
Your concerns are valid. It goes right back to the old saying... 'you need to build it right for it to last.'

Your first concern is heat. Really the main concern for anyone considering top mount turbos. Here's what I did:

- Seibon BB-II Hood: This hood has hood vents right over the turbos. It couldn't be better. Almost like the hood was made for this kit. Relieves heat at the hottest point. Best decision I've made. Oh, and when people look from another car, they have to double take when they see the turbos through the hood. Pretty surprised no one has gotten in an accident because of this.

- Electrical Protection: My installer spent an entire day organizing and wrapping the electrical wiring with an impressive amount of heat wrap. My car is a daily driver, kit installed in June, and has survived a hot Florida summer with zero heat issues.

Your next concern was the headers. I agree with you that a lifetime warranty is nice to lean on, but I don't plan on having to replace them. Here's what I did:

- Ceramic Coating: This is a great option. Some people wrap the headers also, but I don't like the look compared to the coating. It is a bit more expensive, but worth it for peace of mind, IMO. I found a shop that actually sandblasted the headers prior to the coating. He showed me his Harley pipes that have the same coating and over 100,000 miles. Looks like it was just done.

Your last concern was hearing the turbos over the WOT exhaust. Absolutely, and loud. I have catless mid-pipes and a full 3" Corsa ZL1 Quad Tip. You'd be more than happy at how loud these turbos whistle!

Take your time on your build. Spent at least $2,000 on protection from the heat. My next plan is Meth and that will help IAT's even more. Even without it, I feel more than safe. 660 RWHP all day @ 10 PSI. More like 750 RWHP after the meth. Get a good (great) tune and plan on your cheeks hurting because you'll be smiling a lot more.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #270
HELLION TURBO

Drives: Twin Turbo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011WhiteSS View Post
Hellion, any EFR BorgWarner options with the V-band internal wastegated turbine housing and blowoff/bypass compressor housing. Seems it might simplify pluming and all the external items. Maybe even a wash on pricing Not to mention the spool-up of the EFR turbos puts even the ball bearing turbos to shame.

Hello.

We do not have any Borg options at this time.

We can assure you that these turbos and our system design eliminate lag, and it has a very seamless transition to power.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #271
2011WhiteSS

Drives: 2011 White 2SS

That'd look nice in the kit!!
Sorry just a lot bigger fan of BW turbos. Especially the EFR line. 🏻

Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #272
the rich dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by '14-ELLIE View Post
Your concerns are valid. It goes right back to the old saying... 'you need to build it right for it to last.'

Your first concern is heat. Really the main concern for anyone considering top mount turbos. Here's what I did:

- Seibon BB-II Hood: This hood has hood vents right over the turbos. It couldn't be better. Almost like the hood was made for this kit. Relieves heat at the hottest point. Best decision I've made. Oh, and when people look from another car, they have to double take when they see the turbos through the hood. Pretty surprised no one has gotten in an accident because of this.

- Electrical Protection: My installer spent an entire day organizing and wrapping the electrical wiring with an impressive amount of heat wrap. My car is a daily driver, kit installed in June, and has survived a hot Florida summer with zero heat issues.

Your next concern was the headers. I agree with you that a lifetime warranty is nice to lean on, but I don't plan on having to replace them. Here's what I did:

- Ceramic Coating: This is a great option. Some people wrap the headers also, but I don't like the look compared to the coating. It is a bit more expensive, but worth it for peace of mind, IMO. I found a shop that actually sandblasted the headers prior to the coating. He showed me his Harley pipes that have the same coating and over 100,000 miles. Looks like it was just done.

Your last concern was hearing the turbos over the WOT exhaust. Absolutely, and loud. I have catless mid-pipes and a full 3" Corsa ZL1 Quad Tip. You'd be more than happy at how loud these turbos whistle!

Take your time on your build. Spent at least $2,000 on protection from the heat. My next plan is Meth and that will help IAT's even more. Even without it, I feel more than safe. 660 RWHP all day @ 10 PSI. More like 750 RWHP after the meth. Get a good (great) tune and plan on your cheeks hurting because you'll be smiling a lot more.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I love your hood. The only problem I see is the fact I would daily drive my car in the summer and it would most likely end up seeing rain at some point. I'd hate for the turbos or engine bat to sit in a stream of rain for goes on end.

That's awesome that the turbos can be heard at full throttle. But what about idle or light throttle? Can they be heard then? Thanks again..appreciate your input. I'd definitely Want the pipes coated for sure.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #273
'14-ELLIE

Mine is also daily driven. I had the same concern with rain. I was able to use 135 silicone elbows to relocate the air filters out of the vents. This also allowed me to get some bigger filters in there.

Idle? Not really, unless you're out of the car. Just cruising, yes, if you're listening for it. If you're passing a car or a car is passing you, you can certainly hear them. Just hit the gas for half a second and you'll hear the blow off valves very well when you let off. Extremely difficult to stay off the pedal! Haha

If your main concern is hearing the turbos, it shouldn't be a worry. You'll be more than happy with the noises that come from under the hood.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #274
the rich dude

Thanks bud. Appreciate your feedback. Since I won't be getting a kit until next year for the Gen 6 I'll be looking to hear back from you on how everything is after some more miles. Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #275
RR
Nie

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by '14-ELLIE View Post
Mine is also daily driven. I had the same concern with rain. I was able to use 135 silicone elbows to relocate the air filters out of the vents. This also allowed me to get some bigger filters in there.

Idle? Not really, unless you're out of the car. Just cruising, yes, if you're listening for it. If you're passing a car or a car is passing you, you can certainly hear them. Just hit the gas for half a second and you'll hear the blow off valves very well when you let off. Extremely difficult to stay off the pedal! Haha

If your main concern is hearing the turbos, it shouldn't be a worry. You'll be more than happy with the noises that come from under the hood.
Do you have any pictures of the elbows with filters on it? Im looking to do the same hood but rain is my biggest concern as its a daily driver also.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #276
the rich dude

One question about 2 videos I saw which look to be the same car. One video was on power nation and at 10 PSI the car made 603rwhp. Then this video with the same boost makes 720+rwhp? I'm confused where the extra 120rwhp came from?
Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #277
dhall1911

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
One question about 2 videos I saw which look to be the same car. One video was on power nation and at 10 PSI the car made 603rwhp. Then this video with the same boost makes 720+rwhp? I'm confused where the extra 120rwhp came from?

Buddy has this kit. Running 7 psi putting 620 whp

Old 09-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #278
the rich dude

I'd also like to see a dyno graph of said 720 rwhp pull to see the torque curve which is ultimately more important to me
Old 09-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #279
RR
Nie

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Heres a screenshot of the graph off the video.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #280
'14-ELLIE

I'm at 600 RWHP @ 6 PSI, 630 @ 8, and 660 @ 10 so what the couple posts above had said seems right.

The 729 @ 10... I bet they added meth. That would make sense.

Closed Thread