Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #43
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
WELL... THAT didnt work. Player indexed fast, song titles show up, but it skips every track with DRM.... UGH!
DRM = FAIL. Man I hate that crap.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #44
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
WELL... THAT didnt work. Player indexed fast, song titles show up, but it skips every track with DRM.... UGH!
Take a look at my post here http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27371. It should help you
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #45
Sideswipe

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
It's not as simple as running a cable from the back of the radio to a USB port. There's another module that's required to do the USB functionality, which is not available on the 1SS. You do have an aux jack though to hook your iPod audio up to, you'll just have to control the iPod using its controls instead of the radio's.
Hi Codeman,

So I updated my iphone to 3.0 and connected to the radio using GMmusicConnect selection on the phone. It won't pick up automatically though, and some time is just says not paired in my iphone....any tips?

Thanks.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #46
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Take a look at my post here http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27371. It should help you
Thanks I did look for that I just dont want to lose the newest media player and stuff it works so well. Unless I was looking at the wrong solution.

PS the DRM files "should" work if "playsFromDevice" worked properly... too bad MS sucks....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #47
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Thanks I did look for that I just dont want to lose the newest media player and stuff it works so well. Unless I was looking at the wrong solution.

PS the DRM files "should" work if "playsFromDevice" worked properly... too bad MS sucks....
I don't understand what you mean...you can simply "un-DRM" them and then play them in any other music player, windows media, winamp, iTunes, etc. PM me if I'm misunderstanding you're problem, I'm pretty good with these sort of things
Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #48
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I don't understand what you mean...you can simply "un-DRM" them and then play them in any other music player, windows media, winamp, iTunes, etc. PM me if I'm misunderstanding you're problem, I'm pretty good with these sort of things
Oh the programs that i found that were freeware, many seemed to require I downgrade WMP to 10. send me a PM with what you use....

Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #49
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Ok so 2 questions (or more of a confirmation) I pick up my car in about 3 hours. I have an iriver clix which last night i updated the firmware and it asked me if i wanted to format it to work in MTP to allow support for PlaysFromDevice, so I did that. So I am hoping this will be enough to play my DRM'd music on the car? i guess I will find out soon...

Secondly, I recall you saying that there are 2 bluetooth modues in the car, 1 for the phone and 1 for the PDIM. So concieveably I could have my cellphone hooked up to work as a phone and if I had some sort of MP3 player that has bluetooth (do they even exist?) I could just play music and control it through that without even connecting a USB cable? Both connected at the same time?
I'm sorry to read that the DRM didn't work. I don't know why Microsoft allowed so much variability in the PFD implementation, but they did. Looks like your best bet is to try to un-DRM the files like has been suggested, or just go aux cable...

For the Bluetooth, that's correct, you'll be able to hook up a phone to the phone BT and a media player to the audio streaming Bluetooth. And yes there are media players that have Bluetooth. Sony's new Walkmans support A2DP and the iPod touch (as of yesterday) also supports A2DP.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #50
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
Hi Codeman,

So I updated my iphone to 3.0 and connected to the radio using GMmusicConnect selection on the phone. It won't pick up automatically though, and some time is just says not paired in my iphone....any tips?

Thanks.
Hey Sideswipe. Thanks for the info. Is your iPhone also paired/connected to the vehicle using the handsfree profile (connected to General Motors)? I haven't heard for sure if the iPhone is able to be connected to multiple BT devices at once. Apple has said that the iPhone will support it, but we have yet to get confirmation. Try disconnecting from General Motors and then try connecting to GMusicConnect.

The other thing is that you may have to initiate the BT connection from the phone to the vehicle on GMusicConnect. Because of the way Bluetooth works, for you to be able to connect to multiple devices, you may have to initiate the connection from the phone. Otherwise when the vehicle tries to connect to the phone, the phone says it's already connected to another device and then the PDIM isn't able to connect.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #51
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
I'm sorry to read that the DRM didn't work. I don't know why Microsoft allowed so much variability in the PFD implementation, but they did. Looks like your best bet is to try to un-DRM the files like has been suggested, or just go aux cable...

For the Bluetooth, that's correct, you'll be able to hook up a phone to the phone BT and a media player to the audio streaming Bluetooth. And yes there are media players that have Bluetooth. Sony's new Walkmans support A2DP and the iPod touch (as of yesterday) also supports A2DP.
Thanks for your reply!

Now the question is, what if I had a Sony Walkman with DRM content? Would the DRM content play, or does it work that the walkman plays the content and transfers it to the system as raw audio....

Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #52
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Oh the programs that i found that were freeware, many seemed to require I downgrade WMP to 10. send me a PM with what you use....
I'm not aware of un-DRMing software that works without downgrading WMP to 10.

It is times like these that common practice of depending on WMP and accepting DRM'd files really starts to stink. There's a whole world of different programs, different music sources, and different techniques out there for people willing to spend some time and effort on it.

However, it's not unreasonable to want to just listen to your music without having to spend time and effort on it. Not everybody is a geek.

I recommend not buying DRM'd music anymore. Amazon and Rhapsody (and probably other major online music stores) sell complete catalogs of DRM-free MP3 files in addition to their usual DRMified offerings...you just have to know that you want it.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #53
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

Now the question is, what if I had a Sony Walkman with DRM content? Would the DRM content play, or does it work that the walkman plays the content and transfers it to the system as raw audio....
The Bluetooth functions similar to the aux jack, so the device does the decoding and just transfers over the audio stream. So, if the device can play the DRM content, it will work on the vehicle. You can then also control next/previous from the steering wheel or faceplate. The Bluetooth profile doesn't currently support browsing of the content on the device, so if you want to go pick a particular song, you have to do it on the device itself.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #54
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I'm not aware of un-DRMing software that works without downgrading WMP to 10.

It is times like these that common practice of depending on WMP and accepting DRM'd files really starts to stink. There's a whole world of different programs, different music sources, and different techniques out there for people willing to spend some time and effort on it.

However, it's not unreasonable to want to just listen to your music without having to spend time and effort on it. Not everybody is a geek.

I recommend not buying DRM'd music anymore. Amazon and Rhapsody (and probably other major online music stores) sell complete catalogs of DRM-free MP3 files in addition to their usual DRMified offerings...you just have to know that you want it.
I'm prob just gonna do that, cancel my napster and just start buying non DRM songs... In the long run it may come out to be more money but I believe in paying for music, and I believe its retarded that i DO and still cn't play it.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #55
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
The Bluetooth functions similar to the aux jack, so the device does the decoding and just transfers over the audio stream. So, if the device can play the DRM content, it will work on the vehicle. You can then also control next/previous from the steering wheel or faceplate. The Bluetooth profile doesn't currently support browsing of the content on the device, so if you want to go pick a particular song, you have to do it on the device itself.
Thats really cool... not cool enough for me to go out and buy a $300 music player, but cool nontheless hehe

Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #56
CamaroDreams07

You are probably talking about WMA files I assume. If you really don't wanna downgrade WMP, which isn't a big deal as the new versions are practically just facelifts, but anyway, if you DON'T want to, you will have to un-DRM, then convert WMA to MP3, that will free up the file for operation on any player program such as iTunes.
I know I know that's not the most convenient thing, but sorry to say it's kinda the only option if you wanna use the Thumb drive.
Sorry there isn't anything easier, just the hazards of money-hungry companies who charge for their downloads. I've said it before, there is NO reason to pay for music. Use Limewire, that's user friendly and definitely not encrypted. Just make sure you download PeerGuardian so Big Brother has a little harder time watching your every move.