Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
garage?

I was starting to get all psyched about getting a new car in a year or so (hopefully a Camaro V8). Anyway, I just realized I still don't have a garage and maybe thats why my wheels are rusting after only 3 years and I've gone thru 3 sets of lug nuts. The body of my 4 year old Nissan is still in pretty good condition, but I have replaced the exhaust twice also. Do you guys think a garage is absolutely necessary? Or will a new car last a long time without rusting if you keep it clean and wax it once in awhile. btw, I only waxed my nissan once and never waxed the wheels or cleaned them that much for that matter. What about a carport? Or should I start looking for a house with a garage? My house needs alot of work to sell though and I just started a new job...
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
You are describing salt damage from the roads in the winter, which a garage has nothing to do with. You can fix all of that by not criving the car when it snows (IE- have a snow-car-beater) or make a habit of spraying the undercarriage of the car down when the temperature is above freezing to delute some of that salt-sludge.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Yeah I understand what you're saying. I try to wash the car at least once a week, but when its below freezing for weeks at a time in the winter and sitting out with snow caked around the wheels, I see why it starts to rust. I just wonder if a carport or even a car cover would help in the winter? I would probably be too lazy to put a cover on though and would worry it would scratch if the car was'nt real clean. But being persistent in keeping a car waxed would probably go a long way too...
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Wax helps the paint, but not the underbody and wheels. A garage helps if you are never taking it out in the snow, but a car that's driving on winter roads is going to pay the price for it in the way of rust and corrosion. It's just the way it is. It sucks, I know!
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
I'm looking for a new place as well and top priority is a garage, maybe a 2 car garage. I decided that the Camaro will not drive in the snow, unless an emergency happens with my now declared "snow-beater" SUV.

No matter how much you wax, that salt is brutal. This will be the first time I will have two cars and seasonal, this will be interesting but I want to preserve my Camaro as long as possible.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
You can prevent rust by coating unpainted parts with oil when they are clean and dry. Do it every fall and it will NOT rust. A little messy yes but may save aggravation in the long run. Once it starts however, forget it, the rust won't stop until it is removed.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote