Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Hmmm... very interesting. I have been faced with the problem of not being able to transport my track wheels/tires. My Camaro is not my daily to start with but I still have a set of wheels/tires for the track. Right now my street set up and track set up are the same (Pilot Super Sports), but I suspect I will go back to the (cheaper) Eagle F1's for my street tire and continue PSS tires or similar for track. I really need to figure something out, I throw my track set up on and drive to the track. Thankfully the track days I've had are within 30 miles of where I live, but there are some other tracks I want to go to that are 60-200 miles away. I'd be happy if I could fit my two front wheels/tires in my car, the rears wear very little for the tracks I go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Trailer has worked great for me, except the one time that I broke at the track.

This is a small Lowe's trailer with a couple of truck tool boxes attached. Higher quality than the Harbor Freight trailer I borrowed from a friend once.
How is your trailer hitch installed? How noticeable is it? Do you have any close up pictures? The small trailer would be extremely useful however I really do not want a visible trailer hitch when I'm not pulling something.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
This thread just got real interesting. I was at VIR yesterday for the Grand Course day and I was scouting out a few small trailer setups. I think this may be my winter research project.

Subscribed...

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
rodknee
amidst a mid-life crisis

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
i have built a bunch of tire trailers. this one, early in it's development, can easily fit 2 rows of big tires for the heavy chebby...

it is based on a tractor supply 4x6 trailer, which was stretched 4" or so to accomodate 5 275 width tires. in the pic, there is a mix of 245 and 275 width tires, so there was some room to "grow".

i have over 40,000 miles on this trailer now, and after some growing pains, she handles great at 80+ mph.

Last edited by rodknee; 11-12-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Hmmm... very interesting. I have been faced with the problem of not being able to transport my track wheels/tires. My Camaro is not my daily to start with but I still have a set of wheels/tires for the track. Right now my street set up and track set up are the same (Pilot Super Sports), but I suspect I will go back to the (cheaper) Eagle F1's for my street tire and continue PSS tires or similar for track. I really need to figure something out, I throw my track set up on and drive to the track. Thankfully the track days I've had are within 30 miles of where I live, but there are some other tracks I want to go to that are 60-200 miles away. I'd be happy if I could fit my two front wheels/tires in my car, the rears wear very little for the tracks I go to.

How is your trailer hitch installed? How noticeable is it? Do you have any close up pictures? The small trailer would be extremely useful however I really do not want a visible trailer hitch when I'm not pulling something.
It's visible but it's a Hidden Hitch - so you can see it but just barely. Bonus- doubles as a rear tow hook

Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Just getting away from 12" barely-bigger-than-wheelbarrow tires seems like a really good idea if you care much for your trailer's wheel bearings long term.

Norm
Actually, the 12" wheels are upsized from the smaller ones I see on some cheaper trailers. I've felt the wheels to see if they're hot after long hauls. The bearings don't seem to be heating up so I think this is fine for a budget solution. The ultimate is a full trailer that you carry your car to/from the track on, but then you're talking big bucks. This is a good compromise for those not wanting to break the piggy bank.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknee View Post
i have built a bunch of tire trailers. this one, early in it's development, can easily fit 2 rows of big tires for the heavy chebby...

it is based on a tractor supply 4x6 trailer, which was stretched 4" or so to accomodate 5 275 width tires. in the pic, there is a mix of 245 and 275 width tires, so there was some room to "grow".

i have over 40,000 miles on this trailer now, and after some growing pains, she handles great at 80+ mph.
Awesome trailer!

Quote:
It's visible but it's a Hidden Hitch - so you can see it but just barely. Bonus- doubles as a rear tow hook
I didn't think about using it as a rear tow hook, good idea.

But GOOD LORD, I didn't realize how big that wing is! Bet that has some down force.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknee View Post

What tires do you use? My trailer has ST tires, and I cannot go above 65 MPH with those on.

I also like the idea of bringing in a bike. It could help a lot at tracks with big paddock area : )
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:
Bonus- doubles as a rear tow hook
Good thinking!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #23
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Awesome trailer!

I didn't think about using it as a rear tow hook, good idea.

But GOOD LORD, I didn't realize how big that wing is! Bet that has some down force.
Haha, well the iPhone's lens makes it look a little bigger at that angle. It's actually a medium-sized wing, with about half the downforce of the Viper's ACR wing. Still, up to 470 Lb at 150 MPH aint nothing to sneeze at! It works really, really well.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #24
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Haha, well the iPhone's lens makes it look a little bigger at that angle. It's actually a medium-sized wing, with about half the downforce of the Viper's ACR wing. Still, up to 470 Lb at 150 MPH aint nothing to sneeze at! It works really, really well.
Still a lot more down force than my ZL1's 65 lbs of down force + whatever the wickerbill added.

Did you add anything for the front? If not, did the increased rear down force upset the balance of the car? All of that down force is on the rear.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #25
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Still a lot more down force than my ZL1's 65 lbs of down force + whatever the wickerbill added.

Did you add anything for the front? If not, did the increased rear down force upset the balance of the car? All of that down force is on the rear.
I vented the hood and put an APR splitter on the front. When driving, it feels exceptionally well balanced and lap times are fast. However the rear squats more than the front in high speed straights so I'd like to add some front downforce. Not sure what to do yet. If there were an easy way to put a Z/28 front end on it I would, but it would be cost prohibitive. Perhaps some canards and a different hood vent such as the 2014+ SS hood vent, which was designed for downforce.

photo 3 by solomontodd, on Flickr
Old 11-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #26
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Perhaps some canards and a different hood vent such as the 2014+ SS hood vent, which was designed for downforce.
I was thinking about canards as well, although it appears no one makes them for the 5th gen. I work for an engineering company, so maybe I can come up with something in my spare time using Autodesk and then possibly running a CFD analysis..

Also, here is some guy making the Z/28 front splitter for the ZL1 (not much use for you though), I'm curious if they will duplicate it as close as possible. If not, it would likely end up just being a visual mod and not functional..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384375
Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
I vented the hood and put an APR splitter on the front. When driving, it feels exceptionally well balanced and lap times are fast. However the rear squats more than the front in high speed straights so I'd like to add some front downforce. Not sure what to do yet. If there were an easy way to put a Z/28 front end on it I would, but it would be cost prohibitive. Perhaps some canards and a different hood vent such as the 2014+ SS hood vent, which was designed for downforce.
What suspension do you have? If you still have stock 1LE, perhaps a set of coilovers with 8/12kg springs would help quite a bit? They would also lower the suspension a bit, which might help you improve the front down force.

You could also use Z/28 shocks/struts, of course. They are 85% stiffer up front, and 65% stiffer at the rear per GM. I believe the spring rates of SS and 1LE are same, so these percentages should hold against 1LE, too.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #28
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
What suspension do you have? If you still have stock 1LE, perhaps a set of coilovers with 8/12kg springs would help quite a bit? They would also lower the suspension a bit, which might help you improve the front down force.

You could also use Z/28 shocks/struts, of course. They are 85% stiffer up front, and 65% stiffer at the rear per GM. I believe the spring rates of SS and 1LE are same, so these percentages should hold against 1LE, too.
I've got Pedders Supercar Coilovers already. They are fantastic, but the springs may be a little soft for the wing. I reached out to Justice Pete and he recommended raising the back a bit rather than swapping springs. Not sure who's springs would fit the Pedders even if I did want to swap them.

It was lowered about 1/2" front and 1" rear, which is the most you'd want to lower it before messing up the suspension geometry and degrading handling, per Pete. I had initially lowered more, but Pete said raise it back up. And now I'm raising the rear 1/4", so I'll end up with 1/2" front and 3/4" rear lowering. However I run 315/30-18 Hoosiers at the track and that lowers my car an additional 1.3".