Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
GM news about electric auto

Hate to pop your bubble but I kinda knew this was the direction GM would head to. Like it or not electric auto is here to stay. I have GM, Ford, and Tesla stocks and in past 10 years Tesla stocks been kicking GM and Fords ass not so much in 0-60 performance, but 0-2000 in dollar wise.

GM shifts Corvette engineers to electric program. I hope Corvette engineers come up with a kick ass EV for consumers. I also hope Ford will come up with kick ass EV for consumers too. I know Ford will introduce the all new mid-size Mustang Mach-E all electric real soon.

With all this electric stuff coming up, I only see our Z and other true American V-8 muscle cars value going up. At some point or another the auto manufacturers will discontinue the V-8. I'm not saying V-8 will not be around, but third party or after market V-8 makers will take up the slack. Want to hear your thoughts.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/28/gm...ctric%20future.
2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Past Cars:
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic 5.7L
1985 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Blazer 5.7L
1989 Chevy IROC-Z 5.7L
1995 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Tahoe 5.7L
2005 Chevy 4DR Tahoe 5.3L
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
The death of the V-8 is certain. I think a big part of its demise wasn’t just electric stuff, but the Ford EcoBoost V-6. Once Ford started pumping them out it was hard to get an F150 with a V-8. I’d like to see the sales numbers of their trucks with the different engines. I also agree on our cars going up. They are the last of the breed for sure. You’ll never see an N/A engine over 400 cubes being built.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
I will never buy or own an electric vehicle as long as I live. Combustion engines rule forever! Maybe not in speed or power but in character. I for one don't want a car with a speaker for an exhaust system.
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Good luck when you need to spend more then 1/2 the cost of the car as new to replace that battery that will start to lose reserves after 1 year.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
$2.50/gal gas will keep EVs off the road for a while. As soon as gas hits $5 again, different story.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
$2.50/gal gas will keep EVs off the road for a while. As soon as gas hits $5 again, different story.

Here, Here
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I used to say I wouldn't own a car built after '72. Then I said I wouldn't own a car with a computer. One of these "generic" new muscle cars? No frickin' way. Needless to say I have evolved. Nostalgia and sentimentality will always be a part of our hobby. We don't have to warmly embrace the new tech just use it to our advantage. On a side note look at the current level of enthusiasm for Flathead Fords. 100 year-old tractor technology. Whodda thunkit?
Old 09-01-2020, 10:12 PM   #8
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
There will always be a handful of V-8 enthusiast, but I have a feeling, just my intuition, the next Z/28 out will be in 2025....Z/28e. Just like it's older brother the Vette will be all electric. IMO.
2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Past Cars:
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic 5.7L
1985 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Blazer 5.7L
1989 Chevy IROC-Z 5.7L
1995 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Tahoe 5.7L
2005 Chevy 4DR Tahoe 5.3L
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm not so quick to jump on the "everything will be electric" bandwagon yet. True, tech is evolving thus working the bugs out of these new systems but GM has fumbled the ball before the goal line before. And let's not forget it was about 10 or so years ago EVERYTHING was going to be diesel and fuel would be nearly free since we were going to be using French fry grease. Sooner or later the power companies will charge accordingly for juice and we'll all get squeezed. I'm hoping for a leap in combustion engine efficiency coupled with a "next level" electric motor. Can you Imagine a supercharged hybrid that you never plug in? Best of both worlds. If the auto makers don't produce it the Hot Rod community will.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 AM   #10
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I'm not so quick to jump on the "everything will be electric" bandwagon yet. True, tech is evolving thus working the bugs out of these new systems but GM has fumbled the ball before the goal line before. And let's not forget it was about 10 or so years ago EVERYTHING was going to be diesel and fuel would be nearly free since we were going to be using French fry grease. Sooner or later the power companies will charge accordingly for juice and we'll all get squeezed. I'm hoping for a leap in combustion engine efficiency coupled with a "next level" electric motor. Can you Imagine a supercharged hybrid that you never plug in? Best of both worlds. If the auto makers don't produce it the Hot Rod community will.
I agree.

ICE and EV will be around together. The jury is yet to be out on EV.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #11
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
It's just a matter of time... before a nice looking EV blows us away on the street or track and the car enthusiast in you will say, "I gotta get me one"... it's only a matter of time before the extreme left progressives take lasting control in the USA and mandate EVs no matter whether it's good or bad... it's just a matter of time. There is no stopping it.
I have driven a Porsche Taycan and can say the future is not going to be "all" that bad. We're still only in the "Model T" era.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
The difference between ICE and EV reminds me of coming through a WV tunnel in my Z/28 and have a very nice and fast 4 cylinder import come up alongside me. He squirts his nitrous and revs it. I look over, give him a thumbs up, then push in the clutch and give him some 427 thunder. The tunnel shakes! He looks over in awe and gives me a thumbs up. Nothing talks like ICE!!! No electric for me, regardless of the power differences. I never wanted to be the fastest, I want what makes my heart sing...
Old 09-03-2020, 06:06 AM   #13
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
It's just a matter of time... before a nice looking EV blows us away on the street or track and the car enthusiast in you will say, "I gotta get me one"... it's only a matter of time before the extreme left progressives take lasting control in the USA and mandate EVs no matter whether it's good or bad... it's just a matter of time. There is no stopping it.
I have driven a Porsche Taycan and can say the future is not going to be "all" that bad. We're still only in the "Model T" era.
It can be a matter of time but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the correct decision. Unfortunately incorrect decisions have been made before throughout history.

There is a lot of research to be done with EVs. And there a lot that people pushing EVs that don't tell you the whole story including health and environmental effects. They'll peddle this for profits and to get in the pockets of greedy politicians in it for their own gain (as you've alluded to).

Taycan is nice and so is the Tesla. The jury is still out on Tesla to begin with. Elon is great on twitter and great at hyping up the product. Let them be around for another 30 reasons first. I believe to re-tool a whole production line for EV production and change up you whole strategy on the fly can be catastrophic for GM.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
You can't stop progress and, eventually, EVs will rule the road. When, is hard to say. I remember 5 years ago "experts" were predicting it would occur by 2022. I laughed at that.

At some point, when they're affordable for the average person and battery range is significantly improved, most new cars likely will be EV, but it'll take a long time to clear the roadways of ICE cars. Also, as others have mentioned, combustion engines are becoming more and more efficient. If you can by a Honda Insight that gets 55 MPG (HWY) for $25k, it's a hard sell to convince same buyer to purchase an EV for $55K (avg. EV price).

I don't have an issue going EV at some point, just want to be able to get gas for my Z and motorcycle. Thankfully, gas stations aren't going away anytime soon.