Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Small children, car seats, advice?

For those of you that have a Camaro with small children and car seats, I have a few questions...

1) How would you rate your experience in the Camaro so far? Obviously this isn't a mini-van, so I understand it's not a perfect scenario getting kids in and out, but do any of you have any regrets about getting a Camaro due to extra hassle?
2) Is it possible to have a rear facing car seat in the back (infant)? How difficult is it to get the car seat in and out?

I have my 1st kiddo on the way, so I really am somewhat ignorant about these type of things....any comments or advice are appreciated
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
For those of you that have a Camaro with small children and car seats, I have a few questions...

1) How would you rate your experience in the Camaro so far? Obviously this isn't a mini-van, so I understand it's not a perfect scenario getting kids in and out, but do any of you have any regrets about getting a Camaro due to extra hassle?
2) Is it possible to have a rear facing car seat in the back (infant)? How difficult is it to get the car seat in and out?

I have my 1st kiddo on the way, so I really am somewhat ignorant about these type of things....any comments or advice are appreciated
Here ya go http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hild+car+seats

Posted by "Shroomjohn"
"Rear facing fit fine I took mine to dealer to find out same thing and it fit great! Was actually surprised how much room there still was in front passenger side. I have a 5 month old and shes still in the rearfacing and we plan on takin our 2 newborn girls for plenty of rides of course if my car gets here b4 she goes to college just ordered a couple weeks ago"

I searched for this before I ordered my Camaro I have one that is forward facing and a newborn on the way (3-wks away) so I will be using the Camaro for this.

Hope this helps

Sean
Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
I have 2 kiddos (1 and 3) -- both in car seats. I am 6'2". No problems. None of them rear facing though. As a fun car, no problem at all. I am not real sure that I would want that setup as my only car though.

Sometime in the near future, I would consider picking up a portable DVD player and a power inverter.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
I'm 6,2 and with the wife driving Our 6 yr old cannot sit behind me in the passenger side very well. The seats are deep enough however due to this her legs stick almost straight out and I have to put the passenger seat up until my knees are touching the dash:( I have a 36" inseam so I am a bit "leggy". As mentioned in the OP this will suffice for My wife and daughter on a daily commute basis. With 3 grandkids 3,3,& 1 month old along with my youngest of 6 the Dodge Mega Ram will have to do when Wednesday night DQ rolls around or any other time we go as a group

Note, The Camaro is the Wife's birthday present so she'll just have to deal with it
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Khirstin

Drives: 2002 Malibu
My dad had a 1984 Camaro in which I grew up with until he got it smooshed when I was 14. I'll just assume that the space in the new Camaro would somewhat be like my dad's old one. Oh boy I had great fun in that vehicle when I was pint sized.

I warn you though, I barfed in that car, drooled in it, spilled food, kicked the seats with muddy shoes etc like I'm sure any other kid did at some point in their parents' vehicles.

I feel really bad that I puked in such a nice car but I couldn't help it at the time.

When I got older however, being a tall girl of 5'9, sitting in the backseat was not comfortable at all and I preferred the mini-van over the Camaro for comfort.

My parents had a rear-facing seat for me when I was little but I can't remember much else.
Khirstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
SamsinSS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
Send a message via MSN to SamsinSS
I have a 2 year old and for me with a bad back it is at times hard to get her in her car set. You really have to bend down and lean in to secure here. She is on the passenger side and my wife has to move the set up and take our daughters shoes off so she wont scuff up the back seat. For me it is a pain in the a$$ to get her in. I cant imagine loading up TWO little ones in the back seat. My seat has to be ALL the way back for me to drive. Needless to say I drive the car by myself most of the time!
SamsinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khirstin View Post
My parents had a rear-facing seat for me when I was little but I can't remember much else.
Holy Crap!! I can't remember anything before 7-8 yrs old Ok so I'm an old fart, Still get to drive a Camaro
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Phoneguy

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro CGM 2LT
We have a car seat in the Camaro for my 3 year old. Thankfully, she is to the point that she can crawl into the car and get into her seat without too much assistance. She actually starts to get mad if one of us tries to pick her up to put her into the car seat. Of course, I think that banging her head on the top of the car may have helped with the self reliance thing.
Phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
I'm 6,2 and with the wife driving Our 6 yr old cannot sit behind me in the passenger side very well. The seats are deep enough however due to this her legs stick almost straight out and I have to put the passenger seat up until my knees are touching the dash:( I have a 36" inseam so I am a bit "leggy". As mentioned in the OP this will suffice for My wife and daughter on a daily commute basis. With 3 grandkids 3,3,& 1 month old along with my youngest of 6 the Dodge Mega Ram will have to do when Wednesday night DQ rolls around or any other time we go as a group

Note, The Camaro is the Wife's birthday present so she'll just have to deal with it
Hi!
I'm Camarorick's wife. We have no problem with our kids in the back seat.
They are 15 and 13 years old, and they are taller than me. Okay,
everyone is taller than me.(5ft)
The whole family is pretty comfy too.

Joanne
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Angelina

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
I have 3 kids at home, 18, 14 and 7.

18 (5'9") she drives her own car, but when she does ride with us (5'7" and 6'2") she has to sit behind me with her feet behind her dad.

14 (5'7") he sits fine behind either of us

7 (4'1") here lies the issue, he has to be in a booster so we both have to move pretty close to the front to make room for his legs.

Drives: 2SS RS, IOM, Auto, Sunroof

Delivered: 5/15/09
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
ftshark

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS CGM
Click, Click, Click and a pull of the straps to tighten and youre done. Took me 2 minutes to get my child seat in. Needed to pull the passanger seat up about 4 inches to give my 3 year old some leg room, but there was pleanty of room left for my wife. I don't know about rear facing or how it would fit on the drivers side with me at the wheel.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
I have 3 kids at home, 18, 14 and 7.

18 (5'9") she drives her own car, but when she does ride with us (5'7" and 6'2") she has to sit behind me with her feet behind her dad.

14 (5'7") he sits fine behind either of us

7 (4'1") here lies the issue, he has to be in a booster so we both have to move pretty close to the front to make room for his legs.
I don't have mine yet but I have a 3, 6, and 8 yr old. For the most part the car will only have 3 people. The wife or I drivng and two kids. Any more than that and it's time to pull out the Yukon.

I planned on having my kids turn sideways in the back when they get older like you mentioned but they just recently passed a law that ALL pasengers have to be wearing a seat belt (not sure if this is TX only). That kinda makes it hard to sit sideways in the back seat. Man....as a child my parents drove us across the US without any car seats at all. I even remember riding on the rear pkg tray. How things have changed.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Brady_SS
Otis From Mayberry

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS #42033
Send a message via Yahoo to Brady_SS
I'm 6'4", and have a 22 month old and a 4 year old. My 4 year old is in a booster and the baby is in a forward facing car seat. Neither fits behind me well at all so, when I have both in the car, I put my 4 year old in the front seat w/booster (air bag automatically turns off), and the little one behind the passenger seat. Lucky for me, the drive is normally around 2 miles otherwise we use the Yukon. It works for now and the kids like riding in the car. I'm planning to take the wife's Yukon from her after the first of the year and get her something new to drive. Then the Camaro can retire from daily driver duty.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
--Larry The Cable Guy
Brady_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
I have two boys, 5 yr & 22 months.....it's kinda tight for us because I am 6'3". I have the 2 year old behind me and the 5 year old behind the passenger seat. Both my wife and I have to scoot our seats up so they don't complain........but hey.............that's why I have a Denali too. If we do go in the camaro its for a short drive to my parents to drop off the kids then go have some fun