Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
topkat
topkat

Drives: Red 2017 SS camaro
Exhaust wrap ?

Thoughts about exhaust wrap, reason why or why not, how much of the exhaust do you wrap and I’m assuming you would use the 2 inch wide fiberglass rolls that you see on headers, exc. any reason to use on a stock exhaust or cat back system. Topkat
topkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I like exhaust wrap better than ceramic coating for heat insulation. I have long tube headers on my C6 Corvette and I wrapped them with the lava rock based wrap. It is cheaper but a lot of work. Doesn’t look as good as ceramic coating though.

As far as what to wrap, would be any part of the exhaust that is near something you want to protect. Typically that is the headers or manifolds. You don’t want to wrap cats as it can overheat them.

Not much of a need to wrap stock manifolds but it doesn’t hurt anything either.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
When I was looking to get my headers ceramic coated, I looked around for businesses that offer the service. I ran across this article that kept me from wrapping. Just a perspective here that may or may night help you make a decision.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...o-not-use.html

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Wasting your time on stock stuff. And wraps can actually be harmful if not done right.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I like exhaust wrap better than ceramic coating for heat insulation. I have long tube headers on my C6 Corvette and I wrapped them with the lava rock based wrap. It is cheaper but a lot of work. Doesn’t look as good as ceramic coating though.

As far as what to wrap, would be any part of the exhaust that is near something you want to protect. Typically that is the headers or manifolds. You don’t want to wrap cats as it can overheat them.

Not much of a need to wrap stock manifolds but it doesn’t hurt anything either.
I think this post is very accurate. I think the wrap works actually better than coatings for heat insulation but looks worse and cannot work as well for a daily, as it can collect salt and other corrosives
Old 07-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by topkat View Post
Thoughts about exhaust wrap, reason why or why not, how much of the exhaust do you wrap and I’m assuming you would use the 2 inch wide fiberglass rolls that you see on headers, exc. any reason to use on a stock exhaust or cat back system. Topkat
Wrap is not something you set and forget. It becomes a pain in the ass when it begins to deteriorate, hang lose, and drags under the car. If you like to get under the car a few times a year to re-wrap, then go for it. I found it extremely annoying and tedious, will never do it again, ceramic coat or nothing at all.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
topkat
topkat

Drives: Red 2017 SS camaro
Ok guys thanks for your opinions, and I will not be wrapping any of my exhaust.
topkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I will add for posterity:
Back in the day I wrapped a turbo wrx exhaust system ( very helpful keeping heat in a turbo system). It most definitely improved throttle response and boost onset. Sure it will degrade the metal underneath at a much faster rate, but we are talking stock manifolds.

However at some point some oil dripped onto the header wrap from an oil leak and now I had a oil soaked rag essentially wrapped around the glowing hot exhaust. Luckily I caught it in time before it caught fire and burned the engine down. For this reason I will never use wrap again. Ceramic only and not all ceramic coatings are created equal.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote