Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
tonicmole

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro
2012 2LS Camaro

This is my 2012 LFX V6 Camaro. Few things to keep in mind. I'm not a rich man. The 2LS Camaro was a big purchase for me. So my build is for those who are equally super poor. Enough about that, to the build!

I started simple with a cold air intake. As you know, most run $350 and up. That wouldn't do. I bought a generic one for $125, and then replaced the god awful filter with a $25 Spectre cone filter. Noticeable boost, but not as pretty as K&N. Total: $150

Next! Pulled off those god awful mufflers and replaced them with rip roaring glass packs. Essentially generic brand. Though I've done plenty of exhaust systems on my old cars....I decided to let my local muffler dude handle this. The engine now roars when opened up, but stays relatively quite while cruising. In no way mimics a V8, just let's the V6 sing a little. Total: $120 installed. (It'd cost me more to do it myself. That guy is crazy.)

Than on to the tune. Since my other car is a 1971 Pontiac Lemans, I haven't had much experience tuning so I kept it simple. I got the 91 octane Trifecta tune for the LFX for $435.00. Let me say, Holy crap. The car's launch is fire and brimstone even in Drive. In manual it'll eat you alive. If you tune the LFX you will notice, if you don't than you did something wrong. My Camaro could squeal the tires a little on a good day, now it will burn them bald if you let it. Maybe I was lucky and the tune just hit the right note....then again, never did a tune unless you count adjusting the idle on my Holly. The hardest part was getting all of the drivers for my laptop so I could connect. Trifecta was a little vague about that. Once connected I hit a button or two and viola. Power.

Just wrapped up getting all of the LS badges put on as you can see. One on the grill, two on the hood, one on the trunk, and an LFX badge just in front of the doors.

Next up is to see where I'm at. If it dry's up anytime soon, (as you can see it's a swamp here right now.) I'm gonna get a 0-60 time. That'll give me some idea how much I've gained. Honestly, 90% of my gains feel to be in the low end. Feels like a torque monster more than anything. Which is good for being badass, but not so much for 0-60. More burning out than moving.

For the future, I'm not sure. Probably build a prettier CAI tube, maybe a high flow catalytic converter. Ruled out Nitro. Not really my thing. IPF Supercharger may happen in the distant future, but $6,000....that'd buy another car! We'll see.

Constant cosmetic changes can be assured. Pretty up that engine compartment, do something about those brake calipers. Maybe do the gauge cluster from the RS.

Rims: 18 inch Forte F-57 Phantom
Tires: 255/55R18 Cooper HT Plus
CAI: China..... and filter by Spectre
Tune: Trifecta
Glass packs: Once again, some factory in China I'd assume.

What I want: I've been eyeing the Ram Air hood at Phastek, Halo headlights, and various under the hood decor.

Last edited by tonicmole; 12-21-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Make it suck less.
tonicmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
tonicmole

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro
Been investigating a Rear Axle Ratio swap. 2LS's come with 2.97 instead of the 3.27. Seen many people swapping out for 3.55's or higher. I'm gonna put that on my list. Have also seen people just swapping out the whole rear end. I've done that plenty of times on older cars.

The other project I'm looking into is enabling Sport mode for the 2LS. Found an interesting thread here on Camaro5 about someone who pulled it off.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340877

Update: Found the 3.55 gears by Richmond for my car for $580. Maybe a project for the spring.

Last edited by tonicmole; 12-19-2014 at 01:14 PM.
tonicmole is offline   Reply With Quote