Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
E85 in the Camaro?

So if the 6.2 V-8 in my GMC Sierra can produce 402hp with an automatic while running on E85, why can't the Camaro come equipped with E85 as an option?

Just curious, E85 is almost a dollar cheaper a gallon here than premium, which would be a nice option for people.

(And I don't care about the price of gas in this type of car)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
SorrowCamaro

Drives: looking for a Black: 1SS & an LS.
I don't think E85 is that easy to find - In my town, there's only 1 station within a 25 mile radius. I don't think GM will think its worth it.

Black/Black 2SS. Can't afford one yet, but one day.
SorrowCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
To make an engine E85 capable costs money and on a performance car thats better spent elsewhere till E85 is available to a wider group of people. Someday it might get it but for now it's not likely.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Plus you really wouldn't want it. The only reason it's on the trucks/Impalas... and other real high volume stuff, is a numbers/credits game with the feds. Build x many "alternative fuel" vehicles and get so many credits towards building the other less green stuff. Like the hot rods, Vettes, Camaros... so in a way, one allows the existence of the other, in todays over regulated industry.

I've tried it in my truck, kills your mileage - you can watch the gauge go down. The price difference would have to be much greater to be any real advantage.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I've tried it in my truck, kills your mileage - you can watch the gauge go down. The price difference would have to be much greater to be any real advantage.
I couldn't agree more. I've read reports of mileage dropping between 20% to 50% on E85.
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Savini
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to Savini
It's true that E85 has less energy per unit volume than gasoline (that's what makes gasoline such a great fuel), and it tends to corrode old rubber seals (not a problem with new cars) ~ but it is cheaper, made entirely in the US, and responds extremely well to boosted applications (turbos and superchargers are able to pick up a ton of timing while keeping cylinder pressures and EGTs in the safe zone).

I'd be interested if only to thumb my nose at OPEC.
Savini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savini View Post
It's true that E85 has less energy per unit volume than gasoline (that's what makes gasoline such a great fuel), and it tends to corrode old rubber seals (not a problem with new cars) ~ but it is cheaper, made entirely in the US, and responds extremely well to boosted applications (turbos and superchargers are able to pick up a ton of timing while keeping cylinder pressures and EGTs in the safe zone).

It's not really cheaper. It's so very heavily subsidized by your and my tax dollars that it can be priced cheaper.

"Gas stations that sell E85 receive a federal income tax credit of 51 cents per gallon. Corn growers receive farm subsidies. Alcohol distilleries also get various tax credits and incentives.

E85 currently sells for about 30 to 50 cents a gallon less than gasoline. That sounds pretty good, but E85 does not contain as much energy as straight gasoline. Alcohol contains only about 80,000 BTUs per gallon compared to about 120,000 for gasoline. Because of this, the fuel economy you get with E85 isn't as good as with gasoline.

The auto makers want to see E85 offered at more service stations so they can build and sell more flex fuel vehicles. In return, they'll receive more alternative fuel credits from the government to offset their gas guzzling models that hurt their Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers."

excerpts from http://www.aa1car.com/library/e85.htm
Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
E85 needs to be 30 to 35 cents a gallon cheaper then regular gas for me to break even mileage wise. Regular fuel here is $2.73 a gallon. Premium is $2.92. E85 is $2.18. I have been using it for 4 years now, in several different vehicles and it works great.

I havn't noticed any power difference between the two different fuels.

In the winter I don't run it because the mileage gets atrocious in the cold.

It just seems that it would be a neat option, and that it wouldn't cost anymore. In trucks the E85 engine and the regular fuel engine are the same price.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savini View Post

Careful there. E85 requires a unique set hoses and components in the fuel system that are very specific to E85. Just being a newer car is not sufficient to run E85. It will eat away at regular (non E85) components in the fuel system. The vehicle needs to be clearly designed and built for E85. For GM cars you should have a badge and a yellow fuel cap.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

I thought this was interesting as well (from Cars.Com)

"A flex-fuel car burning E85 has different levels of tailpipe pollutants, but it's not dramatically better overall than gasoline exhaust. Separate from true pollution emissions, E85's output of carbon dioxide — a greenhouse gas — is again comparable to that of gasoline, at the car's tailpipe."

And this from autotropolis.com...

"Statistics kept by the United States International Trade Commission indicate 400 million gallons of ethanol was imported from Brazil in 2006....Even though ethanol burns with overall fewer emissions, studies indicate ethanol increases the emissions of several cancer-causing carcinogens, such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Ethanol also contributes to ozone emissions and related environmental and health problems associated with ozone."

Last edited by Camaro_Custom_Painted; 01-26-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
E85 also make them allot of money the US Gov pays 65cents per gallon to anyone who uses it.

was a stink over it a while back, forign tankers would fill up/water down their gas with it at our ports, collect the 65cent pr gal gov refund, then pull away and sell it elsewhere.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Forget E85.............I am waiting for this alternative fuel
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Forget E85.............I am waiting for this alternative fuel
I'd have cry a lot if this were to become a reality, that's an atrocious disregard for beer.

daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Custom_Painted View Post
I thought this was interesting as well (from Cars.Com)

"A flex-fuel car burning E85 has different levels of tailpipe pollutants, but it's not dramatically better overall than gasoline exhaust. Separate from true pollution emissions, E85's output of carbon dioxide — a greenhouse gas — is again comparable to that of gasoline, at the car's tailpipe."

And this from autotropolis.com...

"Statistics kept by the United States International Trade Commission indicate 400 million gallons of ethanol was imported from Brazil in 2006....Even though ethanol burns with overall fewer emissions, studies indicate ethanol increases the emissions of several cancer-causing carcinogens, such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Ethanol also contributes to ozone emissions and related environmental and health problems associated with ozone."
There is a pretty big difference in emissions between corn based (U.S.) and sugar based (Brasil) ethanol. Plus in Brasil they use E100 as well. They apparently made a big push back in the 80s to be free of oil from OPEC and made huge gains in the use of ethanol.

But it isn't the cheapest way to go and that never works in America.