Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
So Im doing my first auto-cross this weekend need some tips!

As, stated I am doing my first auto cross this weekend in my ls3 ss and read that the coarse is designed to keep speeds below 25 mph so it is safe for both participants and spectators.

So does this mean first gear the whole course?

This is the new one that GoodGuys is doing, This weekend ill be at the summer get together in Pleasonton and will be there first time with the autocourse for participants this year.

So I need some tips.

I know there is gonna be a bunch of cars with a ton of money in there suspension out there, but I want to try and get a good time and not spin out.

So im thinking competitive mode and leave it in first?

Any thoughts or tips?

Im seeing #s in the 31s 32s for 4th gen camaros, newer mustangs and a g8.

What should the 2010 see?

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Went to my 1st one a month ago and I learned .

Walk the course many times , ride with a veteran guy as much as you can , try to hit (get as close as you can to) the cones with your rear tires and dont try to be a hero !

AND dont feel to bad when a STOCK Honda Fit driven my a girl out runs you(me) LOL !!! (true story)

Light weight+good driver+good tires/shock/springs= win in AutoX not HP and allseason 400 treadwear tire (as I found out) , yeah I pretty much fail at autox but had fun !
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Went to my 1st one a month ago and I learned .

Walk the course many times , ride with a veteran guy as much as you can , try to hit (get as close as you can to) the cones with your rear tires and dont try to be a hero !

AND dont feel to bad when a STOCK Honda Fit driven my a girl out runs you(me) LOL !!! (true story)

Light weight+good driver+good tires/shock/springs= win in AutoX not HP and allseason 400 treadwear tire (as I found out) , yeah I pretty much fail at autox but had fun !
Thanks, Hopefully there some cool people at the event that I can ride with. I was looking at some pics from last months event and there was a bunch of first gens with tons of suspension mods.

I may be the only stock car out there but I just want to give it a shot.

Dont try to be a hero is a good motto, Im not trying to spin out at all.

Hopefully these pirellis stick to the ground, they have proven pretty sticky thus far so well see.

Any tips on a gear? First seems good if the course is intended for under 25 speeds?
And as far as traction control, I think ill go with competitive mode
as its stated for open course or autocross , maybe if i get a few runs ill try both.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Don't try too hard the first time out, learn the course and try different lines to see what the car likes. Matt is correct, the slow course is going to favor the little cars. Watch the larger cars with experienced drivers and do what they do.

Your SS can overpower a slow course like that, the car has so much low end grunt you can try 2nd if you get alot of wheelspin at exits. If you use 1st, be easy on that right pedal

Your line may not be the same as a small car, a small car can go in fast and tight, if it doesn't work for you try a wider arc thru corners.

If your tires scream at you, you're probably pushing too hard.
steady steady STEADY

Take your floor mats out, they can get in the way at the wrong time. Remove any loose objects in the car, including the trunk.

Have fun!

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 05-28-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Sweet, floormats removed is a good tip, seeing the way these cars slosh around on everyturn I see why everything should be removed.

Ill let you know the turnout after the course.

Steady as she goes sounds good to me, second gear may be a little more forgiving as my right foot is pretty heavy.

Thanks for the tips

Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
01badz28

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28
The most important thing is to walk the course as many times as possible. Try to walk it with one of the more experienced folks if you can. If there is a novice walkthrough, take advantage of it.

Don't overdrive the car. Believe it or not, a tight course is not a bad thing. Remember, your car has a lot of torque that the smaller cars don't have. Dont be a hero in the corners, and try and turn every straight into a mini drag race. Go slow to go fast.

I've usually found that throwing the car into second and leaving it worked pretty well with a stock LS1. When I cammed it (ASA cam), I needed first gear more for the tighter stuff. This weekend will (hopefully) be my first time out after adding an LS3 to my 4th gen, I think this engine has enough torque that second gear will be more than sufficient (and probably difficult to control in first).

Above all, have fun. Don't get too discouraged if you don't post the time you want right off the bat, autocross is pretty tough (but a lot of fun in the end).

Post up some vids / pics after the event. I'm curious to see how the 5th gen fares.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Second gear is probably your best bet. Your main problem is visibility and there is nothing you can do about that. Let us know how it goes but keep in mind the Camaro is not a small, nimble car.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote