Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
would you trade your 4th gen for a 2nd gen camaro?

This is a "what if" so post your opinions after you read the thread. I may have the opportunity to get a 2gen camaro but there is a problem. A friend of mine has a friend who owns a junk yard and has a 71 in his yard. Now I currently own 4 cars. My blazer for work. My wifes 01 monte SS, my 94 camaro and a 54 belair (project). Now my biggest issue is money. I'm on a tight budget and right now I don't have any money to work on the 54. I promised the mrs we would get this car on the road but with money not being there I haven't been able to do much. So to be able to own this 71 one of my cars will have to go. I'm sure the 71 is not road worthy as my friend said the engine runs but the car has been sitting for the last 3 years. I haven't seen it yet to know its condition. I can't let the 54 go because it was my wifes fathers car and he gave it to us to keep the car in the family. My wife monte is also out of the question. My blazer is my work truck and although its my first choice to go with money being so tight and my long commute to work it just wouldn't be smart with money being so tight and gas prices going up all the time. With my performance upgrades and gearing the camaro would not be a good car for such a long drive. It would just eat up too much gas. Its not just the gas issue with the camaro. There are a few more factors. So at this point the camaro would be the best choice. With the money I get for the camaro I can get the 71 on the street plus I can use a chunk to get the 54 on the road as well. Now I've owned my 4th gen for the past 12 years and I love this car but what I truly want is some old school muscle. Now a 1st gen is my dream bute you still can't go wrong with a 2nd gen. Now this hasn't happened and I'm not 100% its going to happen but I'm going to call my friend Monday to take a look at the car. Oh in case you're curious they guy only want 1500 for the car cause he wants it out of his yard.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Dukeboy01

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS; 2001 Silverado
Would I trade my 2002 SS for a 2nd Gen Camaro? No. Would I trade a '94 like yours? Ehhhh, maybe. Although your plan to have enough money out of the sale of the '94 Camaro to fix up both the '71 Camaro and the '54 might not work. Projects always end up costing more than you think they will, at least in my experiece.
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
Would I trade my 2002 SS for a 2nd Gen Camaro? No. Would I trade a '94 like yours? Ehhhh, maybe. Although your plan to have enough money out of the sale of the '94 Camaro to fix up both the '71 Camaro and the '54 might not work. Projects always end up costing more than you think they will, at least in my experiece.
You are 100% right about the project cars. They always cost more than you expect. However, the 54 is about half way done right now and needs paint, which I already have, and the motor and tranny to be dropped in and since I'm doing most of the work I save on labor cost. I figure about 2.5k shoud cover it and as far as the 71 goes id just be looking to get it on the street right now and deal with fixing it up as I go. I'm sure my 94 is no where near as nice as your SS but as I mentioned I've had my car for 12 years and its been my baby but I truly want an old school muscle car. As I said this is not a for sure deal yet.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
In my situation no. I need a reliable car. If both cars were worth equal value, and I had a solid DD maybe. It depends on the car. Rust bucket no. But face it, 2nd gens are becoming the new first gens. The prices are only going up on them. You can find nice 4th gens all day, not the same with 2nd gens.