Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Maggie experts - owners and tuners - please weigh in.

416, GT9 cam, TVS2300.

Part 1:
I don't want to run rear cogs. Not interested in the noise. So, what combination of pulley systems (front and rear) will allow the most boost before slip becomes an issue, and how much boost would that be?

Part 2:
Since I'm limited to XX lbs of boost (or XX pulley sizes) what would the ideal compression ratio be? What I'm giving up in peak boost I'll make up with compression.
Unavowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
Well change out to a 8 rib front drive and over drive the read and you can run a good amount of boost actually. with just the 6 rib front we have done 13PSI many times on car with zero issues if slippage on 400+Ci motors. Some may argue the comp point but Maggies love a tad higher comp. we normally dont do the 9.1 to 1 on a maggie, were in the high 9s low 10s depending on what your finally goal is. Not all builds are the same.

What is your goal? what are you going to use the car for? do you already have your heads for your motor you listed in the OP?
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
416, GT9 cam, TVS2300.

Part 1:
I don't want to run rear cogs. Not interested in the noise. So, what combination of pulley systems (front and rear) will allow the most boost before slip becomes an issue, and how much boost would that be?

Part 2:
Since I'm limited to XX lbs of boost (or XX pulley sizes) what would the ideal compression ratio be? What I'm giving up in peak boost I'll make up with compression.
You would have to go 10 rib up front and 14 Rib on back if you don't want the cog.

On a 416 Your going to have to spin that little 2300 Pretty fast to keep up.

You will need over drive in the rear, over drive crank, and 3.0 Pulley up top

Along with this you will need My Maggie Max Stage 2 Package to be able to flow the air that the 416 will consume.

I run all this on a 376 with my smooth Idle blower cam and it makes 16 PSI boost and runs well in to the 9s regularly.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I can offer the 10 rib OD RIP pulleys for the rear, the 8 or 10 rib front pulleys with a RIP blower pulley also would be a good idea. The RIP will allow you to run serpentine & grip up to about 15psi without notable slippage.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
416, GT9 cam, TVS2300.

Part 1:

Part 2:
I have a similar setup on my 417 LS3 with a TVS2300, 10% OD crank pulley, 10 Rib setup, OD-Cog, CAM and Maggie Max Stage II with 3" pulley my builder got from Ted. He is right you are going to have to spin the Maggie really hard to get a lot of boost. I think you would be better off with the OD-Cog setup, you need to do everything you can to eliminate belt slip. My car is very quiet and if you have the belt snug you can hardly hear it at all and only when you listen for it inside the car. I am making 787 RWHP at 17PSI right now. My car is right at 10:1 compression
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You would have to go 10 rib up front and 14 Rib on back if you don't want the cog.

Along with this you will need My Maggie Max Stage 2 Package to be able to flow the air that the 416 will consume.

I run all this on a 376 with my smooth Idle blower cam and it makes 16 PSI boost and runs well in to the 9s regularly.

Ted.
Ted are you spraying your car with nitrous or is this just on the Maggie and motor? I hope to get a 9 second pass on my setup with the Maggie and motor soon. The Maggie Max Stage II is working out nice!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Unavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
Well change out to a 8 rib front drive and over drive the read and you can run a good amount of boost actually. with just the 6 rib front we have done 13PSI many times on car with zero issues if slippage on 400+Ci motors. Some may argue the comp point but Maggies love a tad higher comp. we normally dont do the 9.1 to 1 on a maggie, were in the high 9s low 10s depending on what your finally goal is. Not all builds are the same.

What is your goal? what are you going to use the car for? do you already have your heads for your motor you listed in the OP?
The build is still on the drawing board, hence my research here. I'm thinking 10.3:1. If I will be limited to how much boost I can run without cogs, I'd like to make up for it with compression. The goal is refinement. Parameters are:
No cogs, o.e. idle (hence the cam selection), quiet exhaust (I have a solution in mind for this, I may post in the exhaust selection and look for feedback there). Since all of those choices will limit hp, I'm willing to make up for as best I can in other areas, hence the 416 bottom end, compression, and JREs Maggie Max package.

Quote:

Ted.

I realize that it would have to spin fast, but I'm also looking to make up some ground with the compression. If my lack of cogs won't allow me to run 16+ psi, can up bump in compression make up for some of it? Your Maggie Max package is part of my plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@SCC View Post
I can offer the 10 rib OD RIP pulleys for the rear, the 8 or 10 rib front pulleys with a RIP blower pulley also would be a good idea. The RIP will allow you to run serpentine & grip up to about 15psi without notable slippage.
This sounds like the way to go, though it seems some have had tried the RIP pulleys with little to no improvement. I'd love more feedback from guys (and gals ) who've actually used them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdmax View Post
I have a similar setup on my 417 LS3 with a TVS2300, 10% OD crank pulley, 10 Rib setup, OD-Cog, CAM and Maggie Max Stage II with 3" pulley my builder got from Ted. He is right you are going to have to spin the Maggie really hard to get a lot of boost. I think you would be better off with the OD-Cog setup, you need to do everything you can to eliminate belt slip. My car is very quiet and if you have the belt snug you can hardly hear it at all and only when you listen for it inside the car. I am making 787 RWHP at 17PSI right now. My car is right at 10:1 compression
I'm glad you chimed in. Your build is the closest to what I'm looking to emulate, minus the cogs. In your case, if you lost the cogs, and the additional boost they allow you to run, what do you feel you could bump your compression to to offset the difference? On the noise side, are there vids of your car at idle, and at the track WOT? (I'll look around as soon as I finish this post).

Thank you all for taking the time to post here, I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
The build is still on the drawing board, hence my research here. I'm thinking 10.3:1. If I will be limited to how much boost I can run without cogs, I'd like to make up for it with compression. The goal is refinement. Parameters are:
No cogs, o.e. idle (hence the cam selection), quiet exhaust (I have a solution in mind for this, I may post in the exhaust selection and look for feedback there). Since all of those choices will limit hp, I'm willing to make up for as best I can in other areas, hence the 416 bottom end, compression, and JREs Maggie Max package.

I realize that it would have to spin fast, but I'm also looking to make up some ground with the compression. If my lack of cogs won't allow me to run 16+ psi, can up bump in compression make up for some of it? Your Maggie Max package is part of my plan.

Thank you all for taking the time to post here, I really appreciate the feedback.
Remember OCTANE is the limiter.

Combinations of compression and boost will hit an Octane limit either way.

If you run Race gas Keep the Compression and spin the hell out of the blower.

If you have to run Shitty fuel you have to lower the compression and limit how much you can spin the blower.

Ted.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
We can offer you every piece of the puzzle with proven results.Give me a call anytime and will be glad to help you out,i hate the sound of the cogs as well but you can drill them out to help a little.FWIW i run 11-1 on 93 at 14lbs...
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
We can offer you every piece of the puzzle with proven results.Give me a call anytime and will be glad to help you out,i hate the sound of the cogs as well but you can drill them out to help a little.FWIW i run 11-1 on 93 at 14lbs...
How much Meth?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Quote:
How much Meth?
Zero,im 45 year old i dont do drugs lol
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Unavowed

Quote:
Remember OCTANE is the limiter.

Combinations of compression and boost will hit an Octane limit either way.

If you run Race gas Keep the Compression and spin the hell out of the blower.

If you have to run Shitty fuel you have to lower the compression and limit how much you can spin the blower.

Ted.
93 pump fuel. Maybe E85, but I'd address that later. Just not enough of it close to me at this time.

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I'll follow up with a phone call as soon as I can.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Keep in mind it only makes a measely 800rwhp ,when we go for more power we may need to change a few things
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Zero,im 45 year old i dont do drugs lol
That is some good 93 octane