Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Agent Atomic Orange

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS IOM M6
Autocross Tips and Tales

It seems alot of the focus here is on the 1/4 mile. I am interested in hearing how the Gen 5 is doing in autocross. Anyone has some stories to share?

Airaid CAI (V2 Tube)/ Flowmaster American Thunder/ Barton Shifter Kit/ Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars/ Hotchkis Sport Springs/ AAC Lights/ GM Trim Kit/ Tint/ Pioneer Premier Champion Series Sub/ Pioneer 1500 Watt Amp
Agent Atomic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Not there but plenty on the road course.
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
I've been a few times. It's great fun. This big badboy has done a lot better than I thought it would and surprised a lot of people. I'm finally going again next weekend after my suspension and power mods, can't wait. I'm not sure what's cooler, when the ricer kids come up to ask me what's up with my car or the mustang and challenger guys.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I am racing the complete season in SCCA SoloII (NER region). 6 events done so far..

I built my car to be competitive in Autocross. I am in the Street Modified division.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
I am racing the complete season in SCCA SoloII (NER region). 6 events done so far..

I built my car to be competitive in Autocross. I am in the Street Modified division.
Is your car strictly a racer or do you drive it on the streets? I'm curious how your setup does on the street.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Quote:

I need that set up you got for the track !!!!!!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Is your car strictly a racer or do you drive it on the streets? I'm curious how your setup does on the street.
The alignment will wear through tires pretty fast on the street, so I drive it sparingly. It handles outrageous on the street! There's nothing like it!
On and off ramps are a blast.

Wife refuses to ride in it. Not because of the ride quality.. because of the way I drive it.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:

Your car should be in the deadly weapon class. Seriously, that thing must require a Lot of restraint with the skinny pedal on some of the shorter courses. Did you ever run it on the stock tires? Curious about the difference the track tires made.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Agent Atomic Orange

Quote:

How has it gone so far?

Airaid CAI (V2 Tube)/ Flowmaster American Thunder/ Barton Shifter Kit/ Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars/ Hotchkis Sport Springs/ AAC Lights/ GM Trim Kit/ Tint/ Pioneer Premier Champion Series Sub/ Pioneer 1500 Watt Amp
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Sounds cool, I'm planning on AutoX soon too. I got to buy a helmet lol.. and I think me and a couple friends are going for it =D Hopefully I'll have stories and videos
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Agent Atomic Orange

I am going to take an intro class put on by the group that puts on the local SCCA autocross races. After that I plan on doing several of the late summer and Fall events. At the events, do they normally just break the groups out by experence, type of cars (mods) or all?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
Mine is bone stock, stock tires. It understeers a bunch, but that is typical for a stock GM car. I think we need upgraded front sway, adjustable rear sway. 20" tires are too tall. I am thinking 18-19" wheels with Nitto NT01. Our stock Pirellis are holding up better than I expected. We have been running 41-42 PSI front, 42-43 PSI rear.

The SS has plenty of power and plenty of brakes.

We've run both SCCA and NASA solo events for a total of five autocross events so far this season. My son and I are a two-driver team, so that means our car runs the course 12 to 16 times per event. No worries, she doesn't even break a sweat!

We hope to do a road course track day with instructors.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Your car should be in the deadly weapon class. Seriously, that thing must require a Lot of restraint with the skinny pedal on some of the shorter courses. Did you ever run it on the stock tires? Curious about the difference the track tires made.
Gas pedal? the added power is not usable.. there are NO straight sections on an autocross course. Using the throttle takes a lot of control so as to not send the rear tires up in smoke.

I never ran it on the stock pirelli's. I have been using the street set - 19" Bridgestone RE-11's that are in my signature. Last event I was my first time trying out the 18" Hoosier tires, and I had a rubbing issue, so I cut the testing short. The inside wheel lip was hitting the lower control arm, and had a small amount of rubbing inside the wheel well. This is fixed now. John at CCW made me another set of rear wheels that pushed the tires out another .3 inch, and we added another 1/2 inch to the width of the wheel (now at 12"). I clearanced the lower control arm and raised the rear of the car 1/4". These changes should address the rubbing issue.

July 18th is my next event. I have been spending a lot of time and effort to get ready for the 18th. Hopefully, it's just suspension adjustments after that date.

The class I am running in (SM) is a tough class - everything is S/C'd or turbo'd and ALL competitors have been running in the class for at least 5-7 years. It's not a cake walk. I do know that with the Hoosier's I will be able to be competitive in my class. The bridgestone's still had understeer. I was pushing in the front and overpowering the rear tires. The hoosier tires got rid of the understeer, and are wide enough in the rear to put some power down exiting the corners.

I bought a suction cup mount for my camera. I will be able to capture video from the next event.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Agent Atomic Orange

bump