Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #43
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
. We're talking 370WHP with excellent top end power vs. 240WHP with no top end power at all.
Your dead wrong about Evo's having no top end power, that's where they shine and that's why they can walk domestic V8's when both are modified to somewhat equal power because or their ability to rev each gear a lot longer to 8,500-9,000 when modified.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Your dead wrong about Evo's having no top end power, that's where they shine and that's why they can walk domestic V8's when both are modified to somewhat equal power because or their ability to rev each gear a lot longer to 8,500-9,000 when modified.
You sure thats not because its a lighter car with AWD? AWD gives it the advantage off the line, less weight gives it the advantage down the track. Sorta hard for it not to win.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #45
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
If an evo makes equal power to an SS or a mustang it will absolutely rape them. You're talking about a car that weighs over 300 lbs less than the mustang, 500 less than the camaro and has much shorter gearing with perfect traction, dgthe3 is spot on. A 370awhp evo or sti is a DEEP 11 second car with traps will into the teens, but you will need to modify to make those power numbers. Top end isn't very impressive stock because in comparison the low end is far more impressive. To keep up up top, you're going to need 300awhp or so which doesn't take much, but the mustang and camaro would still pull in most cases (an l99 would be close). Tune and exhaust will do 300awhp on an sti with a good tune, even less mods in an evo IX. I am in the middle of an e85 build and we expect to make around ~330awhp/370awtq at 6k ft. At that point I will pull stock SS' and 5.0's from any speed and all the power mods I have are 255lph fuel pump, 850cc injectors, exhaust and tune. In the end, evos and stis aren't straight line cars, but they can do it well with the right mods. The sti's weakest link in the 1/4 is it's gearing is absurdly short. The car is optimized for road racing and it does that very well.

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 10-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #46
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You sure thats not because its a lighter car with AWD? AWD gives it the advantage off the line, less weight gives it the advantage down the track. Sorta hard for it not to win.
I think if you added passengers or ballast weights to equal the weight of a 400whp SS or GT the 400whp EVO will take the win every time even on a freeway roll race 40-130 and it might take an extra 40-60whp to pass the 400whp EVO at those speeds because of its ability to rev past 8k while still making more power when there at the 400whp level and making the same wtq unlike Honda motors.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I think if you added passengers or ballast weights to equal the weight of a 400whp SS or GT the 400whp EVO will take the win every time even on a freeway roll race 40-130 and it might take an extra 40-60whp to pass the 400whp EVO at those speeds because of its ability to rev past 8k while still making more power when there at the 400whp level and making the same wtq unlike Honda motors.
I can't think of anywhere that roll racing takes place besides public streets, so I don't see the relavance of discussing it. But I'll explain why what you claim would happen, wouldn't.

If you have 2 cars making the same power at the wheel, with the same weight, they will essentially accelerate at the same rate. Particularly from a roll. Gearing, rpm limit, and torque curve all play a role but in this particular case its effect is minimal. The high rpms and the aggressive gearing mean that the engine's operating range is effectively compressed to be very similar to that of a large NA V8. The torque advantage of the slower turning engine (and yes, it has to make more torque if it makes the same power at lower rpm) gets negated by the gearing advantage of the faster engine.

The shape of the torque curve is highly unpredictable for a car thats making 60% more power than stock. But if it has been built to produce 400 hp @8000 rpm, chances are slim that it will be making much more torque in the mid-range than a 400 rwhp Camaro. It might, but they'll probably be about the same. In the end, it would be an extremely close race and it might come down to who hits the gas first.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #48
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda

Drives: XW30
Upgrade the Evo 8/9 with an FP Green or GT35R turbo and even the best modded Kenne Belle Cobra/Camaro will not be able to keep up
The FP'd EVO will put down 440whp on stock internals....That power will pull to redline.Add Cams and built internals and a mixture of 91+meth injection you're looking at a 550whp lightweight sedan on steroids
Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #49
cmiller8006

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay J View Post
Upgrade the Evo 8/9 with an FP Green or GT35R turbo and even the best modded Kenne Belle Cobra/Camaro will not be able to keep up
The FP'd EVO will put down 440whp on stock internals....That power will pull to redline.Add Cams and built internals and a mixture of 91+meth injection you're looking at a 550whp lightweight sedan on steroids
Umm there is 800hp kennebell cobras. No fp green evo is hanging.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #50
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post

another award winning post
of course, this comes from a v6 owner... they all hate me.... only on a forum can they talk.. but on the street is where is matter
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #51
carguy_z28
eating 1 ricer @ a time

Drives: 1974 Z28, 2011 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
of course, this comes from a v6 owner... they all hate me.... only on a forum can they talk.. but on the street is where is matter
shhh! Dont say " on the street " some soft hearted people get upset hahahaha kinda like the PETA of car forums these guys are hahaha jk
Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #52
BigDan

Quote:
I can't think of anywhere that roll racing takes place besides public streets, so I don't see the relavance of discussing it. But I'll explain why what you claim would happen, wouldn't.

I watch just about all the high hp exotic roll races on dragtimes.info.uk youtube channel, which take place legally on a runway in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DragtimesinfoUK

That's where all the big boy's play.

and if you want to get schooled in 4g63 tech and alot of other high hp turbo 4/6 video's check out Dynoflash's channel on youtube and you will see 500whp/500wtq EVO's on the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dynoflash?blend=1&ob=4
Old 11-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #53
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I watch just about all the high hp exotic roll races on dragtimes.info.uk youtube channel, which take place legally on a runway in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DragtimesinfoUK

That's where all the big boy's play.

and if you want to get schooled in 4g63 tech and alot of other high hp turbo 4/6 video's check out Dynoflash's channel on youtube and you will see 500whp/500wtq EVO's on the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dynoflash?blend=1&ob=4
I don't really care to learn too much about turbocharged 4's and 6's. No real interest in them. I know that there are smaller displacement, high hp TC'd engines out there. And if thats what people are into, fine. However, I also know that others can make more power with V8's, often with less money and/or fewer problems.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #54
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
I don't really care to learn too much about turbocharged 4's and 6's. No real interest in them. I know that there are smaller displacement, high hp TC'd engines out there. And if thats what people are into, fine. However, I also know that others can make more power with V8's, often with less money and/or fewer problems. Thats just what happens when you start with 3x the displacement.
Depends what you want. evos and sti's aren't drag cars. They can do OK in the drags, and respond well to mods, but they're much better suited to the twisties as that's what they're built for. You also have to go the right route as far as modifications are concerned. Little things make the difference when it comes to turbo cars. A bolt on sti on 93 could make ~310awhp/350awtq give or take depending on specific mods. On E85 the same car could make ~370awhp/450awtq. It's just a different route of accomplishing the same goal: Go fast
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #55
BigDan

Quote:
I don't really care to learn too much about turbocharged 4's and 6's. However, I also know that others can make more power with V8's, often with less money and/or fewer problems.
But only if that V8 has forced induction from the factory with forged internals and is capable of high boost right out of the box like these turbocharged 4's and 6's since your talking about "making more power, often with less money and/or fewer problems."

For the past 11 years Ford was the only domestic company willing to provide such a dream of a V8 engine but luckily GM got with the program and developed the LS9 and LSA. Now if we could only to convince the two of them to go with turbo applications on their top of the line V8's since its free hp and way easier to control boost and tune just like the turbo 4/6's have been doing since the late 80's. I've always been a big fan of the TC's Grand Nationals, TC's DSM's, and TT Audi's, and I was looking into the TC'd DI Cobalt SS for cheap once the Cruze come's out for the wife. In fact those car's back in the day were killing NA V8's leaving them scratching their head's.

Last edited by BigDan; 11-01-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #56
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda

Drives: XW30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
Umm there is 800hp kennebell cobras. No fp green evo is hanging.
Search youtube for Kenne Belle Cobra or Kenne Belle Camaro vs Evo..Every single one (minus 1 video where the Evo driver couldn't launch to save his life pulled and beat the V8)
And for DGthe3
The LSx is a great motor don't get me wrong its the best swap for the RX7 that exists

But 4g63 blocks can be modded for quite cheap (Boltons//Meth Injection//and an aftermarket Turbo) You're looking at 500+whp for under 2500 bucks (In parts)
Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote