Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Heat/AC not working

Hi my heat and my ac arent working. The fan works to blow the air out but it gets neither hot or cold. I brought it to a local mechanic and they said its the climate controller or something to that extent. They said only chevy can work on it.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how much did it end up costing you?

Thanks
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Blend door broke I’m betting
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
yea blend door. Super common issue with our rides. I have the same issue and am trying to decide on the Dremel fix or paying someone to fix it. Check youtube and search on the forum. There are how to's and explanations of what you are experiencing and how to fix it. The long, expensive fix requires removal of the windshield and dash.

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
blend door is very common as stated above. not a diy job unless you know what you're doing. most windshields break upon removal which is required so that plus all the labor of removing the dash is costly.

or look up the dremel fix, either way it sucks to remove or mess with the dash since things can break, crack, make noise, etc. especially if you have the dash crack already, though that problem may be more for the 2010-2011s
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
There is also a bulletin I seen that mentions the connector at HVAC controller under the glove box. Seem the connections can loose contact over time and can cause odd things to happen. Fix was to simply remove the plug from the HVAC unit and plug it back in. Worth a shot for free.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I saw a video on the blend door actuator, and it's doable without taking a ton of stuff
apart. The door inside, totally different story. A video shows a guy cut the side out
to replace his door. Then epoxy'd it back together.

https://youtu.be/Py-2ukNVAGs
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
seang2340

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Just did the same thing yesterday on mine. It was a pain to lay upside down, but not too bad for what a dealer would charge. The actuator over rotates past the point it is supposed to and breaks the blend door. Usually when in the hot position. Mine happened because I was dumb and didn't remember to add more coolant when I pulled the head and did a quick test drive and the safe mode came on and turned on the heat and snapped the door. The job isn't too bad once you are familiar with the layout. I suggest ordering the door and the actuator. Plenty of YouTube videos on it by various people.
seang2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
When this actuator over rotates, is that because something breaks inside it?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
The door is plastic and the actuator over rotates which makes it snap in the corner where the actuator is attached. thanks to another member on the forum who posted the following link, this seems to be the best/easiest way to me...check it out....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Py-2uk...ature=youtu.be

Seems that you would need a Multi Max Dremel tool ($100) and it would allow you to make a clean cut and give you access to replace the door ($10 part on rock auto). Make sure if you do it this way, you retain the 2 bolts that will allow you to re attach the panel once finished. I will be going this route very soon.

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda1LE View Post
The door is plastic and the actuator over rotates which makes it snap in the corner where the actuator is attached. thanks to another member on the forum who posted the following link, this seems to be the best/easiest way to me...check it out....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Py-2uk...ature=youtu.be

Seems that you would need a Multi Max Dremel tool ($100) and it would allow you to make a clean cut and give you access to replace the door ($10 part on rock auto). Make sure if you do it this way, you retain the 2 bolts that will allow you to re attach the panel once finished. I will be going this route very soon.
IIRC, you daily drive your SS to work so you wouldn't be able to have the car down for a few days. I think when it comes time to do mine, I'm going to do it the harder way by cutting the long screws. I'll just rent a car for a few days, if need be, to get around town if I need to.

I've already had the Instrument cluster, console and the HVAC radio faceplate off few times so now it's really easy for me to do those items. Taking the whole dash apart does seem intimidating, but if I take my time I'm sure I can do it. I just don't want to break anything in the process.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote