Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Paratrooper

Drives: 2 sad communter cars.
Might buy 2SS 1LE, questions.

Hello all,

Sometime in the beginning of January I'm going to buy a new "fun car", the first I've had in about ten years. I don't like the new design of the '15 Mustangs (looks too Euro), and I've narrowed my options down to a few.

- '15 Challenger Scat Pack 392 shaker.

- '15 Camaro 2SS-1LE

- '13 Mustang Boss 302

- A few other possibilities.

I haven't test driven any of them yet because until I'm ready to buy I don't want to waste the salesman's time with joy rides, but I will. I have gotten to see some of them in person.

I've ridden in a V6 Camaro. It was a limited edition green with cloth seats. I didn't care for the interior or the visibility from inside. On the flip-side, I think the exterior design of the 1LE is fricken awesome. I plan to take a novice track driving course and pick that up as a hobby, and from what I've read the 1LE has amazing handling and is easy to drive (relative to other cars).

One downside, though, is with a redesign coming in '16, my brand new car will become outdated only months after driving it off the lot. So here I have a few questions....

Someone posted an article claiming you can buy a Chevy upgrade kit and have a dealership install it.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...nd-track-packs

Are there Chevy dealerships who will act as "speed shops" using Chevy parts and keep your warranty?

According to the article the engine upgrades include heads, cams, and increased redline... for only +40 horsepower? Does this sound right? Sans forced air, what are the best mods for real horsepower gains?

Last, I noticed this thread here about limited edition Camaros.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385178

Will there be any limited additions for 2015? I want a bit of uniqueness to my car. More important, if you order the 1LE option does that preclude having a limited edition?

.... and any other advice. Thanks!

- Sean

Last edited by Paratrooper; 11-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Paratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Paratrooper

Oh, yeah. What's different with the '15 model vs '14 or '13? Used is an option as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
there will be a commemorative edition with special striping and badge coming out, see the post on the home page..... Both the other cars you posted with the Camaro will cost more most likely.
And out dated is only in a opinion, I for one am glad I have a 13, and did not want the 14 15 changes to the tail lights, and also do not want the new Camaros most likely to come out with VVT and AFM like the Corvette........
Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Well, being that the new Camaro's are on their way out i wouldn't get a 15 Camaro. They are awesome. Well maybe if i were to get one heck of a deal on a 2SS 1LE pkg. Just maybe.

The new 392's are pretty sick too. A bit pricey though.

Flat no on the 13 Boss. Its outdated but to each their own. Id rather go for the new GT's.

For the record, No Auto for me. Next coupe i get will be a manual!
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
OP, if you click on the edit button on the lower right-hand corner of your original post and then select " Go Advanced", you should be able to edit the title.

The difference between the '14-'15 vs. the '10-'13 for the Camaro is that GM did a refresh beginning with the '14 models which included changing the style of the front and rear bumpers.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Boss 302 all day, every day.

Nothing against the other two but, well, Boss 302.

Plus it is going to hold its value way better than the others.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Boss 302 ALL DAY.....15 mustang looks like crap. If you want a camaro get the 1le!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
OP, if you click on the edit button on the lower right-hand corner of your original post and then select " Go Advanced", you should be able to edit the title.

The difference between the '14-'15 vs. the '10-'13 for the Camaro is that GM did a refresh beginning with the '14 models which included changing the style of the front and rear bumpers.
So basically the difference is purely cosmetic? Then used might be a good option.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
So basically the difference is purely cosmetic? Then used might be a good option.
Can't go wrong with one that is "gently" used

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
If there's any chance of picking up a track day habit, more power is the last thing to be thinking about, especially now. The keys are (1) seat time, (2) brakes, (3) tires (and wheels), and (4) everything else.

Brakes - A GOOD DOT4 brake fluid is really a "must" here. At least ATE 200, but Motul RBF600 is better still. You'll quickly outgrow street pads, even the so-called "performance street" compounds, and having brake fade occur at 110 mph with a 70 mph corner maybe 300 feet ahead is the kind of excitement you don't ever want to find.

For tires, stay with max-performance summer tires for now. They'll "talk" to you when you're pushing them close to their limits instead of snapping loose with little or no warning. And you won't absolutely have to swap from street tires to track tires and back again at the end of your track day. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are among the best here, and at least in my experience wear quite well. The 1LE's Goodyears may be a little better on a dry track, but that's for somebody else to verify. Stay with a "square" tire setup; staggered is for appearance, drag racing, and forced induction power levels. Remember what I said about power and tracking back in the first paragraph...

Within "everything else", power is still a ways down the list. At most, go with a cold air kit with a friendly tune - one that does NOT open the throttle plate aggressively. Those aggressive tunes may be impressive for lighting up the tires and responding to a street challenge, but in being good for that you lose throttle modulation - the ability to precisely dial up only the amount of power that your tires can handle. That's kind of important as you start squeezing into the throttle exiting a corner when you're running close to your car's cornering limits.

A performance alignment IS something you should do (have done). This will improve cornering grip, will extend tire life, and the car can remain fully street-driveable if you don't go crazy with the settings. There are a few other things you can do to improve the basic foundation, such as rear cradle bushing inserts or bushing replacements if you choose the 1LE, though even those might be better put off for later when you have a gut-level feeling of why and how they'd benefit you (with maybe some first hand observations). Me telling you now that you'd probably benefit isn't worth as much as you discovering something about the car's behavior that they might fix and having THAT verified. Same goes for the rear control arms (trailing links) on the S197 Mustangs if that's what you end up with.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-21-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
No you get color HUD for the 14-15's and recaro seats for the 1LE and ZL1 ! Oh , and of course the different paint!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Can't go wrong with one that is "gently" used
Between 2010-now are there any differences in performance parts, engine, breaks, suspension, etc?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Be sure you get rock/splashguards for the front tires, a must have as the rear quarters are prone to paint chips.
Put a clear bra on the front end if it doesn't already have one installed.
If you buy used, take it to a car wash and rinse it off and dry it, then inspect it for paint chips before you buy.
Some dealers use color wax which will come off after 1st wash exposing chips.
You'll be best off if getting a used one if it has clear bra on front, hood, and rear quarters already installed.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
Between 2010-now are there any differences in performance parts, engine, breaks, suspension, etc?
Suspension was updated in 2012 on the SS & the 1LE option did not come until 2013. But since you are essentially undecided, maybe look for a low mile ZL1 at 580 hp. Sounds like you are looking for max hp & that would do it along with being a bit more limited in production. Definitely worth considering depending upon how hard you want to track the car.

Sports cars are always going to lose money initially regardless the brand. But have always been told/read that buying the outgoing year of a certain generation are always the most sought after(if you are keeping it for the long term). The obvious unknown variable will be how good the new 2016 Camaro is received.

Hypothetically, buying a out going 2015 1LE may turn in to a great buy if you can find some discounts & factor there are always price increases with via various packages for new models. Mfg's usually like to claim the base price has little to no change for a new model. But desired packages get reconfigured to raise the actual transaction price.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote