Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Oil sampling

Some of the more geekier UK members might find this interesting; in my day job I run a large fleet of big boys tunnelling toys and whenever my lads do any servicing I submit oil samples to Caterpillar's analysis lab for reports - helps sometimes with knowing that a motor, pump or transmission etc is about to 'let go' so we can change-out stuff or rebuild units before major damage and expensive production stoppage. I slipped in two samples from my Camaro (taken by the technician at Toomey Chevrolet) Sent one from the engine (LS3) and one from the diff. I've pasted the engine report below so you can see what stuff is in there. No bits of big-ends, piston rings or small animals. Yet.....

(The forum doesn't seem to like the format of the report; the figures below the Elements refer to content in ppm (parts per million) e.g;
Fe (iron = 62 ppm)

Attn: Ed
More Information
------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMPLE DETAILS 11-Jan-2016
------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT SAMPLE
Customer
BBMV C510 JOINT VENTURE
Jobsite
BBMV JOINT VENTURE HQ
Serial No
CHEVROLET
Unit No
LS3-V8
Model
CAMARO
Make
CHEVROLET
Oil Type
ACDelco Dexos 1
Oil Grade
5W/30
Compartment
ENGINE - PETROL
Compart Serial

Job No

Meter
Lab No
Sample Date
22-Dec-2015
Eval
B
Sample Site
BBMV OFFICE

DETAILS
Lab No
Eval
Date Sampled
Date Received
Label
Actioned
Meter Read
Comp. Hours
Fluid Hours
Fluid Added
Fluid Changed
Filter Changed
B
22-Dec-2015
06-Jan-2016
N
Y
Y

ELEMENT TESTS
Lab No
Eval
PQI
V40
Pb
Sn
Cu
Na
K
Fe
Cr
Al
Si
Ni
Mo
Ba
Mg
Ca
P
Zn
OXI
NIT
SUL
F
A
W
B
Fe 62
Cr 1.5
N
P
N

COMMENTS
Lab No
Eval
Comment
B
WE NOTE THAT THE OIL HAS BEEN CHANGED AT THIS TIME - WEAR METALS DON'T LOOK TOO BAD - COPPER, IRON AND ALUMINIUM IS SLIGHTLY ELEVATED BUT MAY WELL BE NORMAL FOR THIS TYPE OF ENGINE... PLEASE CONFIRM THE OIL TYPE / GRADE BEING USED AND WE WILL OBSERVE THE NEXT SCHEDULED SAMPLE BEFORE MAKING FURTHER COMMENTS.

Sent by InfoTrak. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete the message immediately, and notify the sender. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. Reproduction, transfer or distribution of part or all of the contents in any form without the prior written permission of Finning (UK) Ltd. Is prohibited. Views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Finning (UK) Ltd. Please note that we reserve the right to monitor and read any emails sent and received by the Company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000 Although Finning (UK) Ltd. has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any e-mails have been checked for viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure this e-mail and its attachments are virus free before opening. Finning (UK) Ltd. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Finning is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for credit-related, regulated activities. Finning (UK) Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales (Company Registration Number 367090) and its registered office is at Watling Street, Cannock, Staffordshire WS11 8LL Copyright Finning (UK) Ltd. 2015
Yellow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Oil sampling

That is an AWESOME Post and. Great Idea!! :-) Thank you.

What does it all mean?!

There's a small business hiding in this ...

Please continue, maybe at 6 monthly Oil changes? :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post

What does it all mean?!

Redleader - pm me your own email address & I'll send the original versions of diff and engine sample reports - and some jargon buster stuff to interpret it You could maybe work yer IT voodoo on them and post them up in better format than a club-fingered mechanical engineer. The original is in Word with an accompanying pdf with graphs and colours and all sorts of magic stuff. If any of you UK guys want some of this I can maybe work something out for you.....

'Oily' Ed
Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
RichSS2006

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Oily Ed, Is this only for your UK friends or can certain Yanks have a look see too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post

What does it all mean?!

There are already multiple oil analysis services available online, such as Blackstone Labs, I'm sending a sample in soon. But I agree, it's a great tool!

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSS2006 View Post
Oily Ed, Is this only for your UK friends or can certain Yanks have a look see too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Rich - might just be a visa exemption available for you mate I'll mail you tomorrow bud - just off to bed (23:05 here) only stayed up late to watch the sad David Bowie fallout (RIP - formative stuff in my life - what a legacy he's left)