Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
ECO1369

Drives: Camaro 1LT V6 & 2015 ZL1 Fun
Issues With Front End Suspension

Hello all,
I own a 2015 ZL1 with 23000 mil. my question is as follows.
Has anyone experienced a noticeable vibration in the front end that travels up the steering column? When driving on rough pavement or bumpy roads I can feel the road through the steering column. vehicle has been brought in to dealership 3 times with same results (Unable to duplicate). Am I crazy or has anyone experienced this issue.
ECO1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
take it to a dealer or tire shop that has a road force balance machine. issue can be as insignificant as flat spots on the tires and/or poor balancing. see it happen a lot of times

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
It seems like you are more describing "jolts" when hitting bumps than vibrations at speed?
They would be looking at different parts for those distinctly different symptoms.
Jolts might be some rubber bushings bad, bad shocks, or tires too firm for your tastes. You know the ZL1 has a firm suspension as a sports car(?)
I wonder if you air down the front tires to 28psi for some test drives how that affects the jolts.
It could be vibrations from out of round or out of balance tires which get worse after hitting bumps but I'm not sure which you are experiencing. Jolts from bumps or shaking vibrations.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
What tires do you have fitted and how many miles are on them?

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO1369 View Post
Hello all,
I own a 2015 ZL1 with 23000 mil. my question is as follows.
Has anyone experienced a noticeable vibration in the front end that travels up the steering column? When driving on rough pavement or bumpy roads I can feel the road through the steering column. vehicle has been brought in to dealership 3 times with same results (Unable to duplicate). Am I crazy or has anyone experienced this issue.

If its only on bad pavement that you feel it, its suspension related, something worn/loose. If its on all surfaces and the wheel shimmy increases with speed, its wheel/tires/rotor/caliper/Hub related.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:00 AM   #6
ECO1369

Thank you for the info. The vehicle has BF Good rich all season comp. tires are less than a year old and have been balanced twice on a road force. I leaning more towards the suspension. New highway pavement with no issues. There is no issues with balance or alignment. its more of jolts than shimming. brake rotors are fine and not warped. there is no pulsating when breaking. Its been at the dealership 3x for the same issue. They road test the vehicle in their parking lot. I'm at a loss.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I have my car lowered 1.25". It was fine at first but I think the car settled more or my front shocks failed. Now I am getting a firm jolt when I hit bumps in the front. I think it may be hitting the bump stops.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Quote:
Thank you for the info. The vehicle has BF Good rich all season comp. tires are less than a year old and have been balanced twice on a road force. I leaning more towards the suspension. New highway pavement with no issues. There is no issues with balance or alignment. its more of jolts than shimming. brake rotors are fine and not warped. there is no pulsating when breaking. Its been at the dealership 3x for the same issue. They road test the vehicle in their parking lot. I'm at a loss.

I would agree suspension is where you want to focus. Unless you have a lift at home where to can pry on each component with a prybar, you may want to invest in a mic/sound kit and start placing units in the suspension until you find the thump/bang.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #9
ECO1369

So here is the skinny regarding my 2015 ZL1. Vehicle has been in a much repeatable dealer her in the Pacific North West. So dealer stated battery needs to be replaced. Low voltage test determined that this is the issue with front end due to the electric steering assist? Second, First dealership (No names at this time) installed diff, axels, drive shaft incorrectly. Don't ask me how I don't know. GM Executive Office Flew a Field Tech out to evaluate concerns and damage. Should I be concerned about damage to trans? More to follow.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Quote:
So here is the skinny regarding my 2015 ZL1. Vehicle has been in a much repeatable dealer her in the Pacific North West. So dealer stated battery needs to be replaced. Low voltage test determined that this is the issue with front end due to the electric steering assist? Second, First dealership (No names at this time) installed diff, axels, drive shaft incorrectly. Don't ask me how I don't know. GM Executive Office Flew a Field Tech out to evaluate concerns and damage. Should I be concerned about damage to trans? More to follow.

Driveshaft is two piece and only goes in one way. You do need to mark the allignment between the two shafts and both the yoke on the trans and diff so you get back to the same balance.

While most dealers will screw up the diff set up/backlash and crushsleeve bearing depth, but the diff only goes in one way. Also the axles only go one way although the internal joint at the boot can disconnect when installing but you would know that right away after driving.

Not sure I understand how a low battery is going to make the steering rack shake your wheel at certain road conditions with a working alternator at 14.xx volts.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Screwblower

Drives: 14' 2ss convertible
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on battery’s voltage.
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #12
@ReaperZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1 aka the Reaper
check your upper bushing on your front shocks. its as simple as pull the wheel off, unbolt, unplug, compress the spring and un bolt the top. there should be no movement or loose wobble in it. if there is, it has gone bad. i had similar symptoms with mine, its a 30 dollar part from that gm parts guy website. simply reverse order going back in then get an alignment done to be safe.
@ReaperZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
re is no issues with balance or alignment. its more of jolts than shimming. brake rotors are fine and not warped. there is no pulsating when breaking. Its been at the dealership 3x for the same issue. They road test the vehicle in their parking lot. I'm at a loss.
Found your issues. They are not actually road testing it if it's only in the parking lot... Have them go out on a test with YOU in the car and direct them towards where you experience the issue.

It might take a little effort for them to agree to a ride-a-long but would be well worth it if they figure out the issue.

Also, you could jack up the front end and start checking for loose or worn parts.

Last edited by tstodii; 01-18-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: update "care" to car b/c I'm a dummy :)
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote