Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Paint A pillars?

Just curious to what you convertible owners thought.

I'm not a huge fan of soft tops and would rather have a foldable hard top.
But wanted to see if anyone planned on getting there A pillars painted the same color as the top. It's one of those things that always bothered me about soft tops.
Not sure if it would look better or not or just be different as I'm not a huge fan of two tone cars either, so go figure. Just wanted to see what you guys who have the car thought.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I could see doing it. Or going with a contrasting color like the Neiman Marcus cars.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
I'd really like to see someone paint their A-Pillars / windhshield surround the same brushed aluminum look as the Camaro Convertible concept, and the Neiman Marcus special edition. I think it really gives the car a premium look, and keeps it much more true to concept.

It can be easily accomplished in a variety of different ways. The cheapest would be to get it painted silver, then lightly rub it with a steel wool pad. Then do a few coats of satin clear. Or... you could go the more expensive route, and get a paint called "Ghost Chrome", which is a paint that mimics aluminum, and then do the same steel wool / satin-clear treatment. This would make it look exactly like brushed aluminum. I've used Ghost Chrome paint before on some other projects, and I know it would look amazing on the Camaro!!!

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to do the same to his Camaro Convertible when he orders it!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
centric

Drives: 2008 Saturn Sky, 2003 Viper RT/10
I'll absolutely be doing a matte black wrap on my SW/CGM stripe convertible (when it arrives). The painted "basket handle" has to go!

So, paint: no. Vinyl wrap:yes. There's silver vinyl available, too. It would be wonderful if a forum sponsor did a pre-cut kit, but I suspect that ain't gonna happen before I do mine.

Pics when done!
centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
da-bizket

Drives: 1967 SS/RS
The black top looks real good on a black car. I have been wanting to see this on another color with a closed top also. On the attached pic the mirrors are painted black also. This might make the black look a little more natural.

Definitely like to see how the aluminum look would work with the top closed.

da-bizket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

I guess it's not such a bad idea after all. Have to admit I kind of expected a bunch of face palms and at least one "how dare you".

@Grandeos. I like your idea about painting it to look like brushed metal. I wasn't aware you could mimic that look with just paint. I'll have to try that out on a non car related future project

Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
painting them to match the top might look good with the top up, but I wonder how it will look with the top down? Then it might not look as good.

Last edited by HDRDTD; 05-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
Thats why I went with the black car.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Now I wonder what a color matched roof would look like. I know it won't ever match completely, two completely different materials. But it would minimize the amount of contrast.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Orangebowtieboy
Dart GT M as a daily ride

Drives: 45th 2SS LS3
I like the look on my 4th Gen. but its a big A$$ piece of glass.
Attached Images

Orangebowtieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Mandog

Drives: 2011 RJT 1LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-bizket View Post
The black top looks real good on a black car. I have been wanting to see this on another color with a closed top also. On the attached pic the mirrors are painted black also. This might make the black look a little more natural.

Definitely like to see how the aluminum look would work with the top closed.

Where did you get the cool roll bars????
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by centric View Post
So, paint: no. Vinyl wrap:yes. There's silver vinyl available, too. It would be wonderful if a forum sponsor did a pre-cut kit, but I suspect that ain't gonna happen before I do mine.

Pics when done!
Agreed. I'd try the vinyl wrap first to see how it looks. I've thought of trying the stainless steel look like the concept car, but I'm now in the process of removing all chrome and silver. Don't think it would look right on mine with black pillars like the roof.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Where did you get the cool roll bars????
There's a previous thread on these from the Camaro5Fest. They're from Revolution and they're not protective roll bars, but show bars. Still, pretty cool.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
njmike

Drives: Inferno orange Vert
I have not gotten my car yet but I plan on having my a pillar vinyl wrapped like the neiman marcus car and the vert concept was. I know both of those cars have a stainless inlay but I want something I can remove if I get tired of it. I talked too the wrap place already they have a vinyl that looks just like a brushed metal once its on the car.
njmike is offline   Reply With Quote