Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
JooktheSnooke

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Angry Problem with Car starting. PLEASE HELP

Hi all
I need some help!
so I recently did a cam install and other mods
Got a remote tune from jannetty that I loaded into the car yesterday. after the load was done I started the car up, drove it around, all seemed fine except for a "service stabilitrac" message and lights on my dash
this morning I drove to work still had the stabilitrac message but the car seemed to run fine. I took the car out just now to get lunch and it started up but still with the same message for stabilitrac. drove a few min to get lunch, after lunch I get in the car and it struggled to start. I turn the key and it's an even slower start like its about to die then it start. the engine was crancking slow but it did manage to start. while driving back to work the the tac on the instrument cluster wasn't moving. The service stabilitrac message was on, no CEL but all traction lights on. This is the first time this ever happened to me. I get back to work, turn off the car and try to start it again to see if that would fix the gage. the car wont start. the engine is barely turning over. my first thought is the battery, its the orginal in a 2010 car so its already a 9 year old batter. im also thinking maybe the started? Im asking here to see if you guys have any other thoughts on what it could be. also what is the "service stabilitrac and how to fix that?
thank you all for the help!
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch |
JooktheSnooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
KTMracing09

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 ABM
Definitely sounds like the battery going out. I had the same problem, tested my battery and it actually tested good, put a new one in it for shiggles and solved my problems
Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
i would check ground wires and guess battery as well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
JooktheSnooke

Update. So after lunch I let the car sit till I had to leave work. I go outside and she starts right up. Still have the service stabilitrc. I drive home and and try to start her again, same issue. Think it might have something to do with the motor getting hot. I talk to my pops and uncle (who is a mechanic) and they both said that the starter is getting too hot from the headers. Has this happened to anyone before?
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Stainless Works Longtubes w/ high flow cats | Muffler Delete | TSP 229/244 stage 2 cam| TSP .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Mulling high volume oil pump | PTB | Trunnion upgrade | Hurst short throw shifter | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Exedy stage 1 clutch |
Old 07-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JooktheSnooke View Post
Update. So after lunch I let the car sit till I had to leave work. I go outside and she starts right up. Still have the service stabilitrc. I drive home and and try to start her again, same issue. Think it might have something to do with the motor getting hot. I talk to my pops and uncle (who is a mechanic) and they both said that the starter is getting too hot from the headers. Has this happened to anyone before?
There is a thread about that exact problem more or less. I’ll see if I can dig up the thread.
Here ya go,
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...rting+problems
IMO, I would lean more towards the battery coming to the end of it’s serviceable life. I’ve seen other threads where people have mentioned the stablitrac message coming up when their batteries were on the way out.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
There is a thread about that exact problem more or less. I’ll see if I can dig up the thread.
Here ya go,
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...rting+problems
IMO, I would lean more towards the battery coming to the end of it’s serviceable life. I’ve seen other threads where people have mentioned the stablitrac message coming up when their batteries were on the way out.
i made myself one of these. solved many problems. i rarely have issues starting unless i leave the batt running the car too long. Personally best electrical mod yet
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Also re-check all grounds — especially by the passenger’s header and the back of the heads.

Sometimes adding a better grind from engine to chassis can help....

Like the linked post suggests...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes your battery is getting old, yes I had starter problems did various things like starter wrap, with new starter new battery.....wire around terminal post in engine bay....the only thing that finally did it was a good high torque starter so it wont get too hot and start too slow throwing the codes and making it have to have the battery unplugged to clear the codes.....yes; stabillitrac, t/c ,Check engine light...

https://www.amazon.com/Powermaster-9.../dp/B004BTBS6G it kicks butt and that's the fact jack more torque is needed; from the old motor head whos not about to wrap his stainless... Starter heat stroke is very old news like 50 years old...… The only way I could drive the thing without the codes was clearing it and starting after it cooled down....because driving it in limp mode sucks just to get somewhere and have to baby it...….its not like rocket science and all these guys who tell you do this and do that...MEH.....

read the reviews on this starter and its about the stock starters price which stock BTW is a mini starter compared to old chevys etc...…. and to do this starter you can ditch the worthless stock heat shield, bend the battery cable where it connects to the starter and clock it by turning it to clear the headers and pans sensor on its side of the pan, and simply use a round loop connector instead of the stock plastic crappy male female slip in connector. Not my First rodeo...……. try it you will like it guaranteed...… nothing like having more power than stock...…...
Old 07-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Roader

Drives: Camaro
I've replaced my battery but still get the hard starts when the car is hot. I do think that is part of the problem with starting but I don't see how it would affect the stability track issue. That could be a million different reasons but start with what all was changed and work backwards.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
I've replaced my battery but still get the hard starts when the car is hot. I do think that is part of the problem with starting but I don't see how it would affect the stability track issue. That could be a million different reasons but start with what all was changed and work backwards.
Even when a starter is working properly with a good battery you will see a voltage drop when it is engaged. With a heat soaked starter that is struggling there will be a greater draw on the battery resulting in an even larger voltage drop.
That is what causes electronic issues.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #11
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Battery....causes all kinds of gremlins,especially 10 year old ones
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
JooktheSnooke

I will try the extra ground mod and new battery and see if that does the tric. I am also goin to wrap the starter with a heat shield just to try and keep it alittle cooler. how do you guys feel about exhaust wraps? do they hold moisture and rot the pipes? thank you all for the help and inputs!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Have you talked to your tuner about the hot start issue? Ted knows that tweaking the Startup Airflow table 5% in either direction should solve that issue.

Every cam is different and the tune will be also. Sometimes these things dont pop up until it hits a certain ECT vs ERT field.

Talk to Ted before you do anything.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Jook …..the Stupiditrac codes throw for anything, to clear the codes..unhook battery for a few, to really take advantage of a good engine built well in in a tight space that's hot with hot headers cooking the starter...……….A Aftermarket starter is the trick, I did the tricks you describe doing...basically worthless, and as the old saying goes …...you can lead a horse to water...………….. And like I said heat wraps of the starter also hold in heat, for the headers heat wraps are nice but you have to have them off to put them on; and are ugly and then the heat goes further down the pipes ….and why not try the starter it works for my stock hood 428 which BTW makes more heat built...………. I also removed the center portion of the hood to firewall seal to help vent with a xacto knife since it does not leak water there and I live in rainy Oregon. I tell you its night and day with this starter and I am running hot...………. daily stop and go and when it drags from heat it shakes it off and kicks it...…… powermaster xs 9509...……. try finding the stock starters torque on the internet..... your way overdue for a new battery BTW as they only really keep up their CCA for about 1/2 their life.....