Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #15
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Well, in the end I spose its your vehicle. I figured I'd toss my two cents in from the tone of the original post. I find more often than not, across various platforms of vehicles I've owned, the consensus amongst most owners is that they want more power but end up complaining about wheel hop or how a car with lesser power showed them their tail lights. I guess I was just trying to say that there are different aspects to the game than just adding power.
Right - getting the traction to apply the HP/TQ is key. I did have to change out the GY's with a set of Nitto NT05's on the rear as I have an auto and the car would fishtail on 2 and 3rd gear shifts. The NT05's solved that issue.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #16
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Hmmm....the car already has a better suspension and forged wheels. Quicker acceleration is what I wanted and with just some pulley changes, CAI, and a tune, you can gain a quick 100+ more RWHP & RWTQ. I don't need over 700 at the wheels but coming near 600 at the wheels is fun and the car makes a great daily driver as it is my only car.

But you add a ton of heat and void your engine warranty with the pulley and program. The ZL1 has a good suspension, but their is always room for improvement.

I track mine and more power will benefit you in a straight line but better suspension is what helps the most in the corners.

My 2 cents..

I would upgrade sway bars (Detroit Speed) and cooling,(Ron Davis heat Exchanger and D3 ½ gallon SC reservoir) then if you are maxxing out the track look to add more power since you have your foundation in place.

So many people add power first, but then find they can't control it and also have to deal with heat issues.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #17
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
But you add a ton of heat and void your engine warranty with the pulley and program. The ZL1 has a good suspension, but their is always room for improvement.

I track mine and more power will benefit you in a straight line but better suspension is what helps the most in the corners.

My 2 cents..

I would upgrade sway bars (Detroit Speed) and cooling,(Ron Davis heat Exchanger and D3 ½ gallon SC reservoir) then if you are maxxing out the track look to add more power since you have your foundation in place.

So many people add power first, but then find they can't control it and also have to deal with heat issues.
Well unlike a lot of folks here - I don't track the car and have no desire to. It's my daily driver with just some added power for my benefit.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #18
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
I wish I had built it up earlier, 850 crank hp and full Detroit Speed suspension set up. The car just feels smaller and more eager to dive into the corners. Can't wait to run it on the track. My favorite part is the cam. So many thumbs up and people rolling the windows down at the stop light just to hear it. So much happier now.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #19
deeds

Drives: 2013 zl1
They way I like to think about it is just like the way I explain to my girlfriend when I'm out at the bar (only staying for one or two that it) then before I know it its last call.

more is always better

1 beer = good 12 beers = great

580 hp = fun 700 hp = really fun 800 hp = insanely fun
Old 11-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
Title pretty much says it all, I can easily afford the parts and labor. 580hp is a lot but I feel like the ZL1 is capable of a lot more. I just want to know if you guys are happy with your mods, if you had the chance would you stay stock or get the mods again?

My friend has a C5 corvette pushing 761hp to the wheels and its just insane to ride in. To the point to where its no longer a daily driver, constant wheel spin.

I would like to be at around 700rwhp without sacrificing reliability and the over all driving experience of the car.

I know tires are a huge part of putting the power down to the ground. Are there some good street tires than can handle that much hp?
To me much more than what the stock ZL1 has is a waste on the street. In most congested areas of the country you can't make use of it. And if you start upgrading the suspension, you degrade the driveability. And adding long tubes and a loud exhaust the car is not as much fun on long trips.

And if you add power, you will definitely need to make drag radials your every day tires. Even stock the ZL1 overpowers the traction control. Add power and the ZL1 can become dangerous on a chilly day with the stock tires.

My last car was a 625+ rwhp twin turbo 1LE with a worked suspension. It was fun at first but in the end I enjoyed driving my 1LE more when it just had boltons. The power was fun drag racing, but turbos are not a good plan at the drag strip unless you turn the boost way up.

Big power is fun and useful if you drag or roll race (off the public roads please) or run events like the mile. But is not useful on a road track as mentioned here and is especially dangerous in inexperienced hands. My 1LE wound up on its roof when I let a friend drive it at the NJ Motorsports Lightning track. He didn't even make it through the first turn. Luckily he was okay, but the 1LE was toast.

In the end I was not happy with my mods on the 1LE and wish I could get back more than 25% of what I spent. I had more than ZL1 $$ in my 1LE. I am happy with my stock ZL1 so far, but it does feel slow on a drag strip. I am a bit spoiled. But my plan is to take it easy on the ZL1 and at first add a little power with some untuned mods. I do already have LTs and a full 3" exhaust if I get bored and want to do more. And maybe a 10% pulley. That hopefully will be enough to keep me happy.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #21
leggettjd

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Hmmm....the car already has a better suspension and forged wheels. Quicker acceleration is what I wanted and with just some pulley changes, CAI, and a tune, you can gain a quick 100+ more RWHP & RWTQ. I don't need over 700 at the wheels but coming near 600 at the wheels is fun and the car makes a great daily driver as it is my only car.

^^^
+1
Old 11-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #22
JD-ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Send a message via Yahoo to JD-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Is more power worth it?
Hmmmm
Is sex worth it?
Hell yes to both !!
Lingenfelter LPE idler relocation bracket
DynaTech SupperMaxx LT headers/Supercats
BMR 1" lowering springs
BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms,
Z/28 wicker bill extension.
HAWK HPS, MRR228's, M/T ET SS's P305/35-20
JD-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #23
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I can assure you the zl1 can easily handle more than stock hp with out upsetting the whole package. On the street with 20" radials it can make use of 800+ whp quite well. I buy cars and make them my own. Some guys buy what a manufacture designed and say that's good enough for me. We are both right, but I have pride in knowing my car is unique and a product of my design.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #24
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
To answer the op's question....IMO...YES! It's my DD and I do track it occasionally and am extremely happy with the mods, and power.
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #25
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
Title pretty much says it all, I can easily afford the parts and labor. 580hp is a lot but I feel like the ZL1 is capable of a lot more. I just want to know if you guys are happy with your mods, if you had the chance would you stay stock or get the mods again?

My friend has a C5 corvette pushing 761hp to the wheels and its just insane to ride in. To the point to where its no longer a daily driver, constant wheel spin.

I would like to be at around 700rwhp without sacrificing reliability and the over all driving experience of the car.

I know tires are a huge part of putting the power down to the ground. Are there some good street tires than can handle that much hp?
To answer your question IMO its your car and you need to do what you and your driving skills feel comfortable doing....At 700 rwhp you are not by any means sacrificing reliability. My ZL1 is not my daily driver and my wife can drive mine to pick up son, groceries, etc. Without the nitrous of course. Tires are very important in putting that power to the ground. A drag radial will really be your best option. I switched to 17in rears with M&H Racemasters and have 0 traction issues unless i'm at the dragstrip dumping the cluch at 4500rpm and spraying it......Again at 700 rwhp your car will feel completely different and does take skill to put that power to the ground safely. The ZL1 is a great platform to mod and I have no regrets what so ever.....Whatever your decision is enjoy the car.

Last edited by G Money; 11-11-2015 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #26
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
I had a 2001 SS SLP car built to the max, It was fun but it was not a real useful car. I did not track the car. As someone stated it gets old and many times you wish you left it stock. But one thing for sure the minute you mod you cut the value of the car. 90% of the buying public would not touch a Modded car. and dealers most of the time will not touch it. They say maybe its better you sell it yourself. Just do not kid yourself thinking it will make it more valuable. Everyone into cars should try it once, but most of us feel the pain when all the money you speed flows down the river in the end!!!

If you have more money than you need go for it. If you are taking money from something else, It is a black hole.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #27
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I'm a minority on this thread, and I have absolutely no desire to add more power or to mod this car. To make me happy, you've got to have the goods out of the box. The ZL had everyting that I was looking for, so there's no need for me to add more.

A lot of my thinking has to do with how this car originated. This was a clean sheet, factory ordered car, and thus I don't want to change what I pictured this car to be. On the other hand, if this car was bought as a fixer-upper or a project car, then I could see adding power or doing a build.

We all do what we want and feel to get the most out of our cars.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
Get smoked by a CTS-V and then tell us how you feel about that question.
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote