Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
JL FiX 86 with BA system?

Has anyone here tried the FiX 86 with the BA system? Trying to figure out if its worth it before pulling the trigger. I already have after market speakers and amps that can take advantage of a flatter EQ curve.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
The JL FiX 86 is not a unit I recognize from my SQ and DSP groups, but I can ask them.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
I would be curious too.
Leviser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
crazydave

Well i just ordered on along with the DRC-200 controller. I have been playing with JL's TUN software and really like the interface. I will provide some feedback once i get it installed latter this week. I have some goofy mid-high range frequencies that are defiantly over-boosted and I hope this levels things out...including getting rid of the stupid volume based bass reduction.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Leviser

Looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
crazydave

First Stage of Review:

I installed the FIX86 unit tonight. Everything was with the install was very straightforward. Cutting the RCA plugs off of the ST harness made for a very clean install and the unit automatically creates a sub-woofer channel by combining the 4 inputs. Running the calibration in the 13 Camaro is a bit of a pain because it does not have a CD player so i had to use my laptop though the aux input.

I was kind of surprised/disappointed that there wasn't much correction done to the stock output. It did make a few minor corrections to the curve and the time correction and it sounds great with all the EQ settings centered. The (optional but not really) DRC-200 allows for both volume control and subwoofer level control from one integrated knob and its kinda cool. It also provides an LED indicator that lets you know the level and quality of the signal. Its neat, but unnecessarily bright and kind of annoying, especially at night. I went ahead and tucked it away under the plastic trim.

The ONE thing that i love is that with the remote volume i can now turn up the volume with out adjusting the base knob due to the stupid bass reduction built into the stock head-unit. I just set the stock volume to 25 and adjust it via the remote knob and the sound is amplified equally.

Also its cool to turn all the crossovers on the amps off and just use the software to set all the crossovers.

Overall it does sound good with the way it is but with the TUN software I have 10 band EQs for every speaker that I can play with with the use of the laptop.

I will follow up with more information once I use the system some more and feel like its the best it can be.

So my preliminary verdict is that for the Camaro, the TWK88 might be a better investment. It does more and the signal from the stock head unit is really not that bad.

Setup:
Front: Focal Integration 6.5" Component
Rear: JBL 6x9 Component
Amp: Alpine PDR 75X4
Sub: JL W6 10"
Sub Amp: JL Slash 600

Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Leviser

Great review. Thank you
Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm currently trying to decide whether I should buy the JL Fix 86 for my 2014 SS 'vert sound system upgrade or just skip it entirely.

My guess was that the stock HU put out a relatively flat signal and bass reduction and timing offsets were handled in the BA amp, so by intercepting the signal before the BA amp and sending it to an aftermarket amp I would get a relatively flat response curve and not need a sound processor. But based on what you wrote it sounds like that may not be the case?

Are you still using the stock HU and/or the stock BA amp in your setup at all, or are you intercepting the signal from the HU? Is the HU doing bass reduction? Did you ever run a spectrum analyzer to check the response curve before and after the JL Fix installation? I would love to hear any other information you can share as I've been agonizing over this decision for a week now.

For reference, I'm planning:
Fronts: Morel Tempo 602
Rear: Either Infinity Kappa Perfect or just disconnecting entirely
Front/Rear Amp: Zapco ST-4X
Sub: Sundown SA10 R3
Sub Amp: Zapco ST-1000XMII

Thanks!
nbostaph is offline   Reply With Quote