Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #57
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Would I mod a ZL1?????

Check the sig

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #58
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
Pulley
Tune
Headers
Intake
Maybe a small blower cam
A few appearance mods

I just cant leave anything stock......I never have!!!
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #59
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
hell yes its got to be modded , that's what there made for, and gm will have performance parts for it, not that i would use all gm parts but the usual high end headers, a cai, blower cam, pulley swap, dyno tune, etc etc. it will be an awesome ongoing project.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #60
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
I have to mod mine , my sister has a 2008 Porsche turbo
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #61
Busy_Boi
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: RJT 2010 camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Busy_Boi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Full exhaust
Long tubes
Intake
Pulley and snout swap
heads
mild cam
and a tune.
700hp
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #62
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I know this is going to be an unpopular post but I think you guys are all crazy. Why would anybody spend what is likely to be around $50K for the ZL1 and then buy a bunch of mods. First, you de-value the car instantly. Second, the car is alreay going produce 550+ hp. How much do you need on public streets? How much can you really connect to the ground? You throw away and 100K mile warranty and any chance of having it be worth something a few years down the road. If you are into heavy mods the smart play would be to buy the SS and have your way with. I think all this talk about heavy mods on the ZL1 is crazy. I will keep mine bone-stock. No mods. I have had plenty of fast cars in my day. A low 12 second car out of the factory is a serious machine. It doesn't need anything.
why spend ~$50k for a car in the first place if you dont intend to get the most out of it? devalue the car? maybe. but this isnt the ZL1 of yesteryear. there'll be more than 69 of them this time around.

some people will buy them as investments, and thats cool. its their money. but I personally love pushing things past their limits.

and a low 12 second factory car does need something... it needs to go faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Yes, I want to have it hold as much value as possible. Maybe in twenty years it will be worth something. Granted it is not an investment and that's not why I am buying one. I will enjoy it. It will be the model's top marker. Yes, it is smart to keep the warranty in tact.

True hot rodders don't buy a brand new car. True hot rodders buy an old car and restore it. If money was no object then I can see your point but I'm guessing money is important to most people these days.

I don't agree with this. I personally feel that true hotrodders..... HOT ROD their cars. yeah, there's the guys that restore their older cars to original condition and thats great, but there's also the guys that take their cars and rest-mod them and swap in modern performance parts all in the pursuit of power.

My point is if you want to mod a car I can't see why you would buy a ZL1.

instead of starting with an engine designed for 400hp, start out with one thats rated higher. instead of piecemealing the SS into a ZL1 clone, you get a better foundation to start with and to build upon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'd really like to see 600 RWHP. If I can get there, I'll be plenty happy. I'd like to see how effective the car is stock, and see what bolt-ons work. While I'd like to keep as much of the warranty as possible, I know some of the bolt-ons could impose problems. I'll be tracking the luck others experience before setting my plans in stone.
600 rwhp will be a piece of cake.

I'm keeping smog-issues in mind, so I'd be sticking with a CAI, maybe CARB-legal shorties (I know... I don't want to hear it, lol ), and maybe a bigger intermediate pipes for a while. I'm not going to fool with the cats' and want to see how effective the dual-mode mufflers are. I have to see what restrictions they impose. I want to leave them though, and if they're similar to the 'Vette system, I'll disable the valves so they're open all the time. It depends on how exactly they function during spirited driving; I don't want drone. Though I doubt a pulley will be legal, no one is really going to be able to tell, so that's one place (and the CAI) that I'll look the other way, in terms of CARB-parts; a custom dyno' tune, too. I'll see about snout and blower porting and probably a combination of an upgraded heat exchanger and a Super Chiller upgrade. I know more boost will be more heat, so I'm going to see what others experience and go from there. That Super Chiller looks really promising and relatively simple and effective. I'll have to see how the suspension is set up, but I know I'll be doing a complete set of bushings, front-to-back. Maybe sway bars, again, depending on balance. Probably a good billet shifter, depending on how the stock short-shifter one is. I'll probably add some Autometer Cobalt gauges, some accent interior lighting (depending on the ABL), and hopefully some LED exterior lighting. I'm completely happy with the look, interior-wise, minus the accent lighting. I'm almost completely happy with the exterior, except I'd be looking at painting the textured black aero' package.

As time goes on, I'm going to be considering some stickier wheels and tires, mostly for strip and track stuff. I get out to the strip (well - used to) a lot more, and would like to try my hand at the track. Depending on the power I can get with the above power mods', I might see about some CNC heads, but leave the cam alone, unless I upgrade to LS9 or something. It looks like this cam is pretty safe and tame. Those are a LONG ways away though.

cam swap and maybe a pulley. and you'll be at your power level and still pass emissions
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #63
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
So, how well does the LSA take to mods?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #64
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
So, how well does the LSA take to mods?
in a word:

Very

the v's we have had experience with handle everything we have thrown at them, now of course we would never push them past a certain point for durability's sake, but 700 rwhp should be no issue so long as it is tuned properly, and care is taken with it.

with great power comes great responsibility
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #65
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
in a word:

Very

the v's we have had experience with handle everything we have thrown at them, now of course we would never push them past a certain point for durability's sake, but 700 rwhp should be no issue so long as it is tuned properly, and care is taken with it.

with great power comes great responsibility
This.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #66
AlaskaZ06

Drives: 1968 RS/SS 396
I'm going to have mine drop shipped to Livernois and let them do there magic
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible
1971 Corvette convertible
1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro
2009 335i xdrive BMW[/B]
AlaskaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The only things I can think to do to it would be window-tint, K&N filer, oil-catch can, and a clear-bra.

Everything else is PERFECT!

EDIT: Once the warranty's up, though....maybe some nice headers and a tune...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #68
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The only things I can think to do to it would be window-tint, K&N filer, oil-catch can, and a clear-bra.

Everything else is PERFECT!

EDIT: Once the warranty's up, though....maybe some nice headers and a tune...
This is EXACTLY what I'm planning. One of the things that when was selling my Z06, was the fact it had 3M clear bra and the new owner was very impressed with front of the car, from bugs and rocks.

Once the warranty is over, CAI, headers and tune. But with the price of gas keeping going up, I wonder how much it's going to be per gallon for 93 by mid 2012. And whether it will be my DD car or weekend car.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #69
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaZ06 View Post
I'm going to have mine drop shipped to Livernois and let them do there magic
I fully support this plan for some reason lol!
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #70
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
I fully support this plan for some reason lol!
lol
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote