Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Vette View Post
I guess there'll be no "marble test" commercial coming out of GM anytime soon... :(

You can pick up a piece of crap Hyundai for <$20k and don't have these issues (not saying I would, cause death b4 Japanese for me).
Lotta foreign references here. This is not a luxury Car OR a peice of crap. It's a Chevy that is not a Corvette. Your getting what you pay for with this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAwheelman View Post
indeed. this is gap is probabl within their inspection standards.
I've said it before. I think this is what Gap Insurance is for.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #30
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
Get a prybar and just start lifting around under it. If you find any anthills underneath you'll be damn glad you did. If something snaps, just pry it all off and replace it with Velcro tape. Go down to a kitchen store and have them cut you a bunch of laminate in exciting colours. Cover the backs with the other side of the Velcro tape.

As a bonus, you can then jam a pocket comb down between the Velcro in case you need one. Sewing needles. Zippo flints. Keybumps of blow in little tin cylinders. Blades of fake grass. Spare keys. Bookmarks. Playing cards. Tiny glass canes filled with corrosive acid. Lockpicks. Toothpicks. Set screws. Eyeglass screwdrivers. Game hens. Porridge. A grounding strap. Dimes.

WTF?! I'm so effing confused by this post, lol!

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_hoyt View Post
WTF?! I'm so effing confused by this post, lol!
Name:  brain_on_drugs2.gif
Views: 276
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #32
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I have to imagine that there is an aftermarket solution if GM can't fix it. Can someone take apart the door and move around some of the mounts? I'm sure that might cost a little. I'm sure someone can resolve this, though.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #33
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
Get a prybar and just start lifting around under it. If you find any anthills underneath you'll be damn glad you did. If something snaps, just pry it all off and replace it with Velcro tape. Go down to a kitchen store and have them cut you a bunch of laminate in exciting colours. Cover the backs with the other side of the Velcro tape.

As a bonus, you can then jam a pocket comb down between the Velcro in case you need one. Sewing needles. Zippo flints. Keybumps of blow in little tin cylinders. Blades of fake grass. Spare keys. Bookmarks. Playing cards. Tiny glass canes filled with corrosive acid. Lockpicks. Toothpicks. Set screws. Eyeglass screwdrivers. Game hens. Porridge. A grounding strap. Dimes.
wtf?

Fear and Loathing?
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #34
jelly2m8

Drives: GM 2 seaters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Sorry, but no car will be perfect.
Theres a difference between not being perfect and huge ( yes that is huge) misalignments like in that picture.

I've owned many GM cars and I've never seen issues such as that. I'm pretty sure my 24 year old corvette doesnt have any panles that misaligned.
Even my Fiero's that were originially marketed as ' econo cars ' have much better quality than that.

This day and age with the technology available, quality should certainly be alot better than that.

I hope the OP and anyone else with this issue does get it fixed, it is a sour spot in a ~$40k car touted to be perfect before release.
jelly2m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #35
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
lol glad im waiting to get one!! all this is expected.

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #36
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUCE View Post
lol glad im waiting to get one!! all this is expected.
I will bet you good money that time will not cure this.

This is a case of design meets impractical situations. The tolerance is too tight, it literally needs to be in PERFECT alignment to look right, you guys are talking a 1/4".......damn. The Mustang does not have to worry since it has a flat style dash with ZERO wrap around..........the designers made it easier to achieve. With the decision to wrap around and have a panel in the middle, comes the understanding that there is no way to line this up perfect in an assembly line situation.

You guys yell to turn up production to get your cars, then complain when small stuff like this goes wrong. (By small I mean cosmetic).

You guys are like bitches, like Dice used to say, she told me to give her 12" and hurt her.......so I banged her twice and hit her in the head with a brick!
You will only be satisfied if everything was dead perfect, and even then you will find something wrong.

This is a production vehicle, manage your expectations, they are way too high. The assembly line is chugging out almost 500 cars a day, this is no Ferrari.

If mine comes mis-aligned, I will look to see how the dash and door panel go on and re-align it myself. It may be as simple as pulling up or down on the door panels if they are clipped in. This gives you the time and excuse to learn how the car is built and make yours better.

For those of you who are not inclined to work on cars, let the dealer work on it, but remember nobody cars about your car like you do, so be there when it is done if at all possible.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 AM   #37
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Sorry, but this shouldn't happen.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #38
Anaconda

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Vette View Post
Honestly, people need to stop making excuses. I'm a diehard GM (Pontiac to be exact) fan. I've owned; 68 GTO, 85 TA, 94 TA, 00 TA and was raised in a 72 Caddy, 74 Catalina, but $40k for seriously misaligned panels and parts popping off with <1000 miles is inexcusable. You can pick up a piece of crap Hyundai for <$20k and don't have these issues (not saying I would, cause death b4 Japanese for me).
Hyundai isn't Japanese. It's Korean.
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #39
jimhowie2000

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT/RS & 6 older Chevy's
Well. I for one hope they get this corrected. I have been a staunch defender for Gm and American cars in general because, in general they have gotten better and though nobody is noticing because they do not scrutinize them closely, Japanese cars are getting worse. I rented a Subaru Impreza a few months ago and the seats were horrible. That car gave me a backache for anything longer than a 20 minute drive. The paint had acres of really bad orange peel and the doors sounded really tinny upon closing. The trunklid did not line up properly and was hard to close at times. Overall, I found the interior a mishappen exercise in cheap ill fitting plastic, that seemed to be trying to imitate a '93 Buick Skylark in it's overall deign. A co-worker has a new Toyota Camry and it too, has terrible orange peel, bumpers three shades darker than the rest of the car, stitching already coming apart from the seats, the center instrument cluster doesn't line up well with the right hand trim, the doors on the passenger side have gaps that are inconsistent, and they have already had trouble with the transmission. So, if you really go over any car with a fine tooth comb, you will find things not right. Do I think that excuses GM from doing better than this? Absolutely not. When a company is in the situation GM is now in and is coming out with a car that is as high profile as the new Camaro is, they had better well get it as close to perfect as possible or they are going to fall flat on their face. I accepted sloppy build quality on my first two new cars (both Chevy's,an 86 El Camino and an 89 Cavalier Z24), and after having my last two new ones be very well built (they were both Chevy's as well, a 98 S10 and an 07 Cobalt SS) I am not going to accept this one if it isn't right. Particularly after waiting so long to get it.

And to illustrate my point, take a look at this Hyundai Genesis....it suffers from the same problem.....it doesn't exactly line up well at the door/dash area.....http://www.genesisdriven.com/wp-cont...-camaro-06.jpg If you make the picture larger you will also notice the trim at the forward edge of the door/window on the driver's side doesn't line up perfectly and the lower windshield is showing sealer oozing through to the inside gleass behind the A-pillar. Also, the plate surrounding the lower center console looks pretty lousy on the right hand side at the seam ....so much for superior imported quality.

Last edited by jimhowie2000; 06-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.
jimhowie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote