Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Thoughts on brakes?

I have done a bit of searching for what to replace / upgrade my OEM brake setup on my SS. I have a little over 87k miles on the car and brakes just started squealing at low speeds. I am torn on OEM pads/rotors/lines or changing it up with HAWK HPS 5.0 pads, Granatelli rotors, and Goodridge SS lines. I plan on changing the fluid to Motul RBF 600. My car is primarily a daily driver with spirited driving and some drag racing. I run 18" welds so not looking to upgrade to bigger brakes.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Sounds like a plan..go for it.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
For a DD and drag use, I would go with the Hawk Performance Ceramics. Minimizes dusting to near zero and stops as well as OEM pads. Also save your money and don't bother with the Motul, it's WAY overkill.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
GoldCartridgeGamer

In my experience over the years reduced dust means less performance. The brake dust doesn't bother me.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
Did I understand you to say you got 87K on original brakes?
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
If you are getting that sort of life from brakes, the only reason to switch from OEM is for changing appearance.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Did I understand you to say you got 87K on original brakes?
I'm not original owner. I am second owner. Bought it with approx 37 or 38k miles. Haven't touched brakes since except to cut off harmonic balancers for welds to fit.

How to hug your camaro
Old 03-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
I'm not original owner. I am second owner. Bought it with approx 37 or 38k miles. Haven't touched brakes since except to cut off harmonic balancers for welds to fit.
You are easy on brakes. You can't do better than the OEM setup that lasted 50K before the wear squealers kicked in.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
I got the car quest Wearever platinum professional series pads for $88 for all 4 from advance auto parts with 25% off coupon code. So far the rears work great. Installed the fronts today and will get back with a review

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote