Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
durden

Drives: camaro 2015 (future)
Question Camaro 2015 1LT - Exhaust/availability questions

Hey all, my wife is likely getting a 2015 Camaro in the next few weeks, and we have a few questions after lurking here a bit soaking up some knowledge. I'll start by saying, I'm not a car guy, this car is for her. She grew up driving Camaro's and has fond memories of the rumble of a good muscle car.

That being said, we're looking to keep the price reasonable and as such will likely be going with a 2015 1LT. As a consequence, one of the main options we're looking at is the NPP exhaust(dual-mode performance).

When talking to dealers they have frequently referred to this(npp) as an rs package feature, but she doesn't really care about the rs enhancements and simply wants the rumble(not wake the neighbors rumble, just a little extra growl) with some other creature comforts (remote start, beige interior, rear backup camera, etc). One dealer suggested that if she simply wants the sound that it would be cheaper to put on a an aftermarket exhaust(gmpp for example).

So, two questions:

The npp with mild to wild switch interests her due to its flexibility, but is an after market exhaust a better option in this instance, due to the price difference and the likely hood that we'll have to accept an RS package to get the npp?

Secondly, is it likely that a dealer will be able to locate a car with these set of options cheaper than we could order custom?

Thanks for your time,
Durden
durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
oustaz

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
Wait two more weeks please...
oustaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by oustaz View Post
Wait two more weeks please...
Thanks for your reply. Yes we weren't going to order until at least may 16th just in case the 2016 is just irresistible, or the price on the 15 drops significantly.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Your not gonna get anything close to a muscle car rumble in a V6
Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Your not gonna get anything close to a muscle car rumble in a V6
Understood. We're not expecting a v6 to sound like a v8, just looking for a little extra growl over stock. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
My sixxer sounds great at full acceleration. Its loud, and not in the bad way.

But you don't get that V8 idle/rumble.

The V6 sounds a bit "whiney" in the low-RPM range, but once you hit 3500+ RPM it opens up and sounds great.

NPP + CAI is all I run.

Pull the fuse in the back (if you have a dual mode exhaust) and it'll stay open all the time, and the lower-RPM whiny-ness goes away somewhat.

No replacement for displacement.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
My sixxer sounds great at full acceleration. Its loud, and not in the bad way.

But you don't get that V8 idle/rumble.

The V6 sounds a bit "whiney" in the low-RPM range, but once you hit 3500+ RPM it opens up and sounds great.

NPP + CAI is all I run.

Pull the fuse in the back (if you have a dual mode exhaust) and it'll stay open all the time, and the lower-RPM whiny-ness goes away somewhat.

No replacement for displacement.
Awesome, thanks for the tip on the low-RPM whine. We'll probably put a mild to wild switch in if we end up going the npp route, just not sure if NPP is gonna be worth over 2 grand when it's all said and done(unless we custom order).
Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by durden View Post
Awesome, thanks for the tip on the low-RPM whine. We'll probably put a mild to wild switch in if we end up going the npp route, just not sure if NPP is gonna be worth over 2 grand when it's all said and done(unless we custom order).
pssshhhh dont listen to him haha. The v6 wont ever sound like the v8, you know that, we all know that. However, depending on what sound you're looking for there are a ton of options for the v6 to make it 'growl' much better than stock.

if you dont feel like paying the $2k for the NPP (not worth it IMO) you could go with the MRT V1 or V2 exhaust designed for the v6, OR, go very aggressive like I did and cut the exhaust off at the cats and replace the h-pipe with a resonated x-pipe and straight tubes out the back. She has some drone at highway speed but sounds awesome at idle/low rpm and instant smiles at WOT
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
bluebonn
Texas

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by durden View Post
Understood. We're not expecting a v6 to sound like a v8, just looking for a little extra growl over stock. Thanks for your response.
get a Rotofab CAI and MRT version 2 and it will give you some rumble best your gonna do for a V6
Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonn View Post
get a Rotofab CAI and MRT version 2 and it will give you some rumble best your gonna do for a V6
Agreed! 2 of our best sellers and one of my favorite combos. I like the MRT sound on the V6 better than the NPP.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
durden

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We'll definitely be giving the MRT V2 some serious consideration as we move forward.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
movurazz

Drives: 2015 1LT Coupe
I have a question

I believe i have the NPP i have the 1LT with dual mode performance exhaust.... 2 pipes on both sides.... I have a nice little growl and when i open it up it has an even better growl... but i want a meaner growl. Would this MRT axle back benefit me in the case and also would I go from the dual pipes on both sides to just one? Also do i need the CAI? I was talking to my guy about that last night. He is a Mechanic... still learning. He says that the CAI lets more particles in and eventually that they(the particles) could mess up the piston walls...Is this tru and if so is the CAI necessary?
movurazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1lt, availability, exhaust, npp