Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Eibach PRO-KIT lowering springs arrived (PICS!)

Well my Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs have arrived. I have an MRC car. I'm having a shop install them tomorrow hope everything works out well.

I'll take DSLR pics after I wash the car, install the center stop light blackout vinyl and there's some sun out.

Last edited by crankaholic; 11-29-2017 at 09:54 PM.
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
without installed pics this post is doo doo! lol
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
BMR Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
without installed pics this post is doo doo! lol
this made me laugh!
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
Well my Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs have arrived. I have an MRC car. I'm having a shop install them tomorrow hope everything works out well.

Come on, it's 2:00 PM in your neck of the woods. What's the hold up?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Come on, it's 2:00 PM in your neck of the woods. What's the hold up?
I had to measure the sensor positions before the guys started working on the car... so I can make new rods and keep the ride height sensors in the same position. The car should be done soon and I'll post pics right away and everything I figure out about the sensors later
Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I had to measure the sensor positions before the guys started working on the car... so I can make new rods and keep the ride height sensors in the same position. The car should be done soon and I'll post pics right away and everything I figure out about the sensors later
I was wondering what you were going to do about this. You have to be one of the first to toss springs on a MRC car. Please let us know the whole processed involved and cost!

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
MIAMI2SSRS

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
I was wondering what you were going to do about this. You have to be one of the first to toss springs on a MRC car. Please let us know the whole processed involved and cost!
+1
MIAMI2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
+2 and if you share the details of those sensor positions you can save me some time!

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
You have to be one of the first to toss springs on a MRC car. Please let us know the whole processed involved and cost!
One of.... =)
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
JaxChris

Quote:
Turns out the sensors measure changes in movement while in motion. They don't throw alerts from lowering the car. No need to move or buy anything else.

Pete@BMR will have a post up tomorrow about it. After I get an alignment and have a chance to throw it into curves I'll have opinions about the changes -- for now, the feedback is no alarms received.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #11
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
One of.... =)
I had my Eibach springs installed last week on Friday, drove it quite a bit since then. I have a MRC equipped SS. I have used Touring and Sport mode and the springs work great with the MRC I feel.

Not to stiff, not to soft, just right for either Touring or Sport mode setting. I will be at the track in Sept. sometime to test Track mode fully.

Props to Eibach for developing a solid setup!
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
crankaholic

Well my mechanic had to leave early (some sort of emergency)... the front suspension still needs to be reassembled, that's happening tomorrow.

As for the sensors - I know their position affects the steering rack, MRC and traction control. I was in a bit of an accident earlier on in the year and a few suspension components had to be replaced. The guys had to reset the whole ecu system (whatever that entails, I never asked) - after that the steering got really light, like 80's Cadillac light, even in track mode. Long story short - the dealer that's owned by the same people as the body shop called up GM and found out what each sensor does and how to calibrate them... they ended up re-calibrating those ride height sensors to factory spec and the steering started working as usual. Maybe lowering the car 1" won't throw things as out of whack as it was after the reset, but I know the steering system, traction control and MRC will be affected by the lowered car. I'll drive it around without making any changes and let you know what I think.

There are actually two ways to go about this - go to a dealer that knows what they're doing and will re-calibrate the ride height sensors to their new positions or adjust the rods and make a physical change. I'm going to do the latter since it's easy enough to do and doesn't require explaining to a service manager what the hell I want.

Last edited by crankaholic; 08-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
JaxChris

I also got sway bars and trailing arms done. I have some comments on steering and roll, but I need to go drive it a bit more and get the alignment done.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
crankaholic

All right, pics are in the first post.

The front is supposed to settle a bit and I'll get it re-indexed after a couple of hundred miles. I'm happy with the drop overall - it's just enough to look good (lose the 4x4 look) and there's still enough travel for it to be a functional street car. It should have came from the factory with this ride height.

The springs are a bit firmer, but they're progressive rate... so the initial travel is about as soft as stock and all the small road imperfections are dampened. After that they get noticeably stiffer, the car follows all the dips/curves/crevices in the road in track mode - as a sports car should in my opinion. The ride has to be firm in track mode, but not punishing. I only did the 10 minute drive home in some traffic, but I was able to take one corner at a fun pace. There's less roll and the chassis feels good.

I haven't measured the after-install ride height sensor positions because I want to drive for a couple of hundred miles and re-index it before doing that. I did notice the steering got a bit heavier in track mode (didn't try any other modes). I definitely have to drive it around more to get a better understanding of how the springs changed things.