Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
ryanb910

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Worth it?

I'm thinking about replacing my K&N CAI for a Vararam since it'll put out twice as many horses as the K&N will. Would this be worth the money in your opinion or would sticking with what I have be a better choice?

Also how does the Vararam sound? My current CAI puts out a good mean tone in the higher RPM range.

Last edited by ryanb910; 06-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
ryanb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
I love my vararam and love the way it looks under the hood.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
First the sound....Vararam sounds awesome.

I had a traditional box AirRaid intake first and I thought it was OK sounding, but the Vararam gave a great deep growl that the AirRaid never did.

The Vararam performance should be as good at lower speeds but really shines on the road when your moving....if installed properly it should definitely give your car a bit more power. Don't expect a huge change, but I can tell you I'd buy my Vararam all over again.

The only downside is install. It is not hard at all, but takes more work to get it right, and you really need to check it for awhile after your first drives with it to make sure it isn't moving and closing up the air gap. If it isn't moving, your golden. if it is, you may need to make some tweaks.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
First the sound....Vararam sounds awesome.

I had a traditional box AirRaid intake first and I thought it was OK sounding, but the Vararam gave a great deep growl that the AirRaid never did.

The Vararam performance should be as good at lower speeds but really shines on the road when your moving....if installed properly it should definitely give your car a bit more power. Don't expect a huge change, but I can tell you I'd buy my Vararam all over again.

The only downside is install. It is not hard at all, but takes more work to get it right, and you really need to check it for awhile after your first drives with it to make sure it isn't moving and closing up the air gap. If it isn't moving, your golden. if it is, you may need to make some tweaks.
What he said!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
ryanb910

Sounds like its worth the investment to me. I just need to find someone who is willing to take my K&N off my hands.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
ryanb910

Does installing the Vararam involve any cutting of pieces? I saw a video on youtube and wondered if that was necessary.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Yes it does

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
In my opinion if I was going to buy a cai Again I would go vararam from what I have heard. I would not change a current cai however for it. I don't believe the gains are enough. Scooping will help also.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
ryanb910

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
In my opinion if I was going to buy a cai Again I would go vararam from what I have heard. I would not change a current cai however for it. I don't believe the gains are enough. Scooping will help also.
The way I see it I would save money by selling my current CAI and getting a Vararam. That way I won't have to spend money on the scoop and washer relocator.