Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
I want neither. I want to be able to control the valves for open/closed, but I don't want vacuum/rpm actuation if I can help it.

From original post:

That's the idea. Thanks for the great insight into the unviability of installing a pressure system. I asked NPP in a Box directly, and they said that yes, it would work. However their printed directions assume quite a bit of functionality that my car simply doesn't have. I won't be going this route, but I'm still curious about my proposed option that you didn't mention.

Do you think that I could control the valves between open/closed with either the Forza or Mild2Wild controller, without vacuum activation?
Hello Hawk,

The short answer ... no. Unless you provide a vacuum to the exhaust bypass valves and the means to control the application of that vacuum (e.g., through a solenoid valve), you will not be able to use the Mild2Wild or the Forza controller.

I mentioned earlier about using the Xforce exhaust system. When you go to their website, they sorta push the entire cat back system for the Camaro. But, they also have the muffler only. You can get two of the Varex mufflers that include the valves and the means to control them without vacuum. Click here to see more info.

Regards,

Steve
forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
My .02: Buy a good aftermarket system. It will be much less hassle and you have more options for picking the sound level you are looking for. I say this as nothing more that feedback as I could get both systems for you.

I'd love to help when the time comes

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzasteve View Post
Hello Hawk,

The short answer ... no. Unless you provide a vacuum to the exhaust bypass valves and the means to control the application of that vacuum (e.g., through a solenoid valve), you will not be able to use the Mild2Wild or the Forza controller.
Perfect summary, thanks.

Quote:
I mentioned earlier about using the Xforce exhaust system. When you go to their website, they sorta push the entire cat back system for the Camaro. But, they also have the muffler only. You can get two of the Varex mufflers that include the valves and the means to control them without vacuum. Click here to see more info.
It makes sense for me to abandon the idea of controlling the valves in that case. Would you still recommend aftermarket exhaust over open-NPP? Is there much drone for NPP without valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
My .02: Buy a good aftermarket system. It will be much less hassle and you have more options for picking the sound level you are looking for. I say this as nothing more that feedback as I could get both systems for you.
Controlling the valves isn't paramount for me, just preferred, so I may just get the bolt-ons for NPP. Could you PM me with some pricing options?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
idealer

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Controlling the valves isn't paramount for me, just preferred, so I may just get the bolt-ons for NPP. Could you PM me with some pricing options?
I have been following this thread and almost went ahead and bought a Corsa but after another opinion about the NPP I decided to go that route because it comes with the quad tips which is my original desire. As for sound I really don't care either way. Look at my bike in my signature, the only mods on it are the passenger pegs and a mirror extension so that I can clear my shoulders. Well that said I am really all about looks, when I am ready for performance I will probably get a Corvette. Anyway enough blabbing.

This might solve the NPP control option.
http://www.maperformance.com/varex-m...e-xf-vk01.html

Last edited by idealer; 11-27-2015 at 10:20 PM.
idealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #19
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealer View Post
I have been following this thread and almost went ahead and bought a Corsa but after another opinion about the NPP I decided to go that route because it comes with the quad tips which is my original desire. As for sound I really dont care either way. Look at my bike in my signature, the only mods on it are the passenger pegs and a mirror extension so that I can clear my shoulders. Well that said I am really all about looks, when I am ready for performance I will probably get a Covette. Anyway enough blabbing.

That Varex controller in your link is for controlling the Varex muffler. As it applies to the NPP exhaust it would be no more useful than your television remote control. It is not going to manage the NPP exhaust valves.

Steve
Old 11-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
idealer

Quote:
That Varex controller in your link is for controlling the Varex muffler. It is not going to solve the NPP control option.

Steve
Steve I appreciate your input, however should I decide that I care about the NPP that much, I can make it work in my application with the electric actuators from that very muffler. So for roughly 100 bucks I can get a devise that opens and closes my flap by remote control. At the least it will give me an idea. Basically all you need is a mechanism to close a simple trap door either by vacuum or by electricity. When I wrap my mind to it even if I have to use stuff from RC planes to make the flaps open when I want them to, I can make it work. Like I said I really don't care of the factory application of the NPP. Like the original poster posted, It will be nice to have it quite once in a while say early morning - That possibility is why some of us think NPP. For example if I went with Corsa, it will be technically open all the time so will the NPP unless I decide to do something about it and for now it is not really an issue but thinking about it and discussing it is getting my creative juices flowing. Once again Steve "Never say Never"
Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #21
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
There was a thread a couple of years ago that a guy used a corvette headlight vacuum switch to control his flaps. I don't remember what section it was in but said he had less than a 100 bucks in it, if I remember correctly...
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #22
idealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
There was a thread a couple of years ago that a guy used a corvette headlight vacuum switch to control his flaps. I don't remember what section it was in but said he had less than a 100 bucks in it, if I remember correctly...
Yes it might be this one with the link below but naysayers are going to tell you that you will void your warranty by doing that. That might be true but to them I say, except you die in a wreck (God forbid), what stops you from removing your vacuum lines b4 taking your car to the dealer. It is not like they will forcible come and tow your car from your house for repairs.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314023
Old 11-29-2015, 02:42 AM   #23
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
NPP ... because it comes with the quad tips which is my original desire.

The look of Quad Tips is also important to me, and if I didn't get NPP I'd be looking at a cost of $200-250 to get them done right on another exhaust system.

What you linked doesn't seem like it will make NPP work on it's own, which is primarily what I'm looking for since I'm not the most mechanically savvy Camaro owner.

Quote:
... you will void your warranty by doing that. That might be true ...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314023
Thanks for another option, but I'd rather not compromise the engine. Honestly I had no idea how NPP worked, and I thought that I could simply wire it electrically to open and close on command.

I now understand that it is vacuum controlled, and the engine must be compromised in order for it to function. That is not a length that I am willing to go to, so bolted-on NPP is the road that I'll be taking.

Thanks for the great input!
Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #24
idealer

Quote:
The look of Quad Tips is also important to me, and if I didn't get NPP I'd be looking at a cost of $200-250 to get them done right on another exhaust system.
I have a pair of quad tips for sale. if you want them you can pm me. They are brand new still shrink wrapped.
Quote:
What you linked doesn't seem like it will make NPP work on it's own, which is primarily what I'm looking for since I'm not the most mechanically savvy Camaro owner.
Actually if you are desperate enough, It will do exactly what you want but it is not going to be the same as the factory NPP. You stated that you wanted to wire it in without using engine vacuum, well that system might be able to be used as a motor to open and close the exhaust system but you have to do it by using the provided remote.

Quote:
Thanks for another option, but I'd rather not compromise the engine. Honestly I had no idea how NPP worked, and I thought that I could simply wire it electrically to open and close on command.
In that case you must not do anything because just changing your exhaust system with the exception of adding tips can be linked to having compromised the performance of the engine. Once you change the system in any form from the muffler unwards, the system is no longer the same. The dealer can claim anything and should it go to court both of you will be hard pressed proving one way or the other. He already has the experts in his payroll, you will have to hire ASE certified mechanics and pay them per hour as your expert witness. (You don't seam like the type of person who will want to go through all that, except of course you are a lawyer)

Quote:
I now understand that it is vacuum controlled, and the engine must be compromised in order for it to function. That is not a length that I am willing to go to, so bolted-on NPP is the road that I'll be taking.

Thanks for the great input!
Don't do anything then because even a non factory recommended air filter can be proven to have compromised an engine by the increased airflow that was not originally accounted for by the factory engineers. Just saying. If you are not mechanically inclined and you are paranoid then do nothing to the Camaro, it is a beautiful car. I personally was in pursuit of the quad tips and that is how I got into all this other stuff. Note that everything I have written here are just random thoughts that also went through my head as a pondered the same questions. My Camaro still has the dealer tags on it, that is how new it is but come next week, it will be going full NPP - my way. Warranty is like insurance, it is one of those things you have but hope you never need.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
WOW FORZASTEVE laid it out out well and thank you for that. There have been over time many who tried retro fitting and if a guy wants to read up the threads are on here, and theres how to make your own actuators but yes the GEN5 Camaro does use vacuum unlike the new gen 6 which is electrical activated. AND also its programmed ... SO hey I am glad someone got something out of your valuable time, AND I love my friggin exhaust..... LOL Frankly I always thought some people should just use some electric cutouts and regular mufflers.........And did not know how involved retrofitting NPP was....
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #26
idealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
WOW FORZASTEVE laid it out out well and thank you for that. There have been over time many who tried retro fitting and if a guy wants to read up the threads are on here, and theres how to make your own actuators but yes the GEN5 Camaro does use vacuum unlike the new gen 6 which is electrical activated. AND also its programmed ... SO hey I am glad someone got something out of your valuable time, AND I love my friggin exhaust..... LOL Frankly I always thought some people should just use some electric cutouts and regular mufflers.........And did not know how involved retrofitting NPP was....
I forgot to earnestly thank FORZASTEVE because he did make an indisputable point and that is attempting NPP after the fact is like using your remote control to control your PC, it ain't no Tivo.

Personally, I was going to get the quad tips one way or the other. Sound wise I would not have cared if my vehicle came with factory quad tips even if it sounded just as it does now. However If I am going to be modding quad tips into it then I figured I might as well tweak the sound a little if I can. So sound wise the exotic sounding and droneless Corsa item # 14953 was by far my fav, followed by the heavy hitting MRT V2 and coming in at a close 3rd or probably tied with the V2 is the factory equipped NPP for the V6.

In my position retrofitting the ZL1 muffler makes sense because it gives me genuine quad tips plus the opportunity to experiment with vacuum if I care to or I could just leave it open all the time and enjoy it like I would have the MRT V2.

To everyone who took there time to indulge this thread I thank you especially FORZASTEVE. It is always too easy to see something in the forum and ignore it if it does not directly concern you. Adding your opinnion and risking challenges or misguided ridicule is bravery in my books and for that I thank you all.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #27
forzasteve

The Corvette C7 and the new Camaro Gen6 use electrically controlled actuators on the dual mode exhaust systems. And, they went the extra step to make the electric actuators (servo motors) controlled using PWM technology. PWM is a means to control anolog devices (the bypass valves) using a digital signal. PWM means Pulse Wave Modulation. There are a lot of cool features using this method of control. ... like making it programmable to different driving modes and having the ability to make it variable rather than merely fully open or fully closed.

Without going into a lot detail, the new version of the NPP exhaust will pretty much mean you will not be able to do simple things like pulling the fuse or disconnecting the vacuum line to force them open at all times. The proprietary controlling method will pretty much place control of the exhaust bypass valves under the car's ECU. Maybe at some point someone will come up with an aftermarket controller, but it is unlikely that it will add much function to the factory control. The new system will pretty much put an end to people wanting to retrofit the exhaust system onto a car not originally equipped with it unless they happy keeping it in a static valve position.

Just mentioning this in case you are considering moving to the Gen6. If you think you may want the dual mode exhaust, order it before you take delivery of the car.

Regards,

Steve
Old 11-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #28
forzasteve

Quote:
I forgot to earnestly thank FORZASTEVE because he did make an indisputable point and that is attempting NPP after the fact is like using your remote control to control your PC, it ain't no Tivo.
Thanks for that, Idealer.

One thing I would like to add, and I think you appreciate this, that with modern cars, diving in a making modifications without fully appreciating the complex nature of today's control systems, electronics and emissions ... one can get in way over one's head and cobble up the car. Not only maybe causing more problems than you fix, but degrading the car for potential resale. I expect many of us have had an experience with a previously owned vehicle where you peer into the engine bay and see stray wires going hither and yon, plugged vacuum hoses and goodness knows what all. I conclude from your postings that you give considerable thought before making a mod on your vehicles. Wish more people would have that mind set.

Best regards,

Steve

Tags
controller, dual tips, exhaust, mrt, npp