Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
bigrich2021

Drives: Impala
Im just wondering this

How much of a difference would it be if instead of the 3.6 v6 the 5.3 v8 was put in. I thought the mileage was similar but I could be wrong and its still a v8.
bigrich2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
How do you figure the mileage is the same with the 5.3l v8? The 3.6l will get 27mpg on the highway and 19 in the city.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
bigrich2021

Well I thought I read smewhere that the ss impala gets 18/28 epa. I was thinking since they both put out about 300 hp but the torque on the v8 is better I would like that more. I guess I just don't like v6s
Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
the impala SS uses the front wheel drive version of the 5.3. that engine wouldn't work in this car. this V6 even had some die-hard V8 guys extremely pleased with it's performance, so it shouldn't be an issue. if you're that dead-set on a V8, just get the SS. it'll probably cost you more in the long run to try & do a engine swap.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
Point 1. Putting a V8 would make a huge difference in insurance. Stupid insurance companies discriminate against V8 fbodies. I was treated like a criminal when I said I have a V8 not a V6 when getting my quote from State Farm. I'm automatically a street racer and need to pay double. Even though I have 0 tickets and 0 accidents on record.

Point 2. Fleet cars need to be cheap and V6 is a better sell then V8. 5.3 would probably cost more. GM makes a lot of sales to fleets. I rented a V6 camaro once. I don't think they had any Z28s.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
the impala SS uses the front wheel drive version of the 5.3. that engine wouldn't work in this car. this V6 even had some die-hard V8 guys extremely pleased with it's performance, so it shouldn't be an issue. if you're that dead-set on a V8, just get the SS. it'll probably cost you more in the long run to try & do a engine swap.
i agree, the 5.3 is FWD first off so the amount of work to get it to work on a RWD car wouldn't be worth it, plus that engine's only advantage is that it makes more torque then the V6, I guess it also has AFM but dunno how that would work in a RWD transmission.

If you want a V8 just get the SS. the convenience of having the V8 installed from the factory and the fact that the LS3 OR L99>LS4 makes it a much better choice.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich2021 View Post
How much of a difference would it be if instead of the 3.6 v6 the 5.3 v8 was put in. I thought the mileage was similar but I could be wrong and its still a v8.
Let me say somthing about the V6 vs the 5.3 V8. I have the 3.9 V6 rated at 27 and I can get 32 on interstate and 4 lane highway without the A/C on. 30.5 with. This is driving 65-70mph. My 3.9 gets better mileage at 65 than it does at 55. Most people don't believe me but that is the truth!
My brother has an Impala with the 5.3 V8 and the best interstate mileage between Indiana and California which they drove several times when they lived there, was 24. Sometimes even less.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Well I thought I read smewhere that the ss impala gets 18/28 epa. I was thinking since they both put out about 300 hp but the torque on the v8 is better I would like that more. I guess I just don't like v6s
So don't buy one?

Seriously, if you don't like v6's just buy the SS with the 6.2l v8 in it.

6.2 > 5.3

The price would probably end up being more if you bought a v6 and swapped in a 5.3 as opposed to just buying an SS anyway.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Minimal. You'd get that little bit more seat-of-the-pants grunt. And being that it's a FWD motor attempting to be shoved into a RWD car (like others have said) it just won't work very well. You'd also see a significant decrease in fuel economy (again, as others have said).

You're better off trying to improve the LLT to your desires. It's not a bad engine by any means: don't let 2 cylinders discourage you.

fwiw; the folks who've driven the car already are V8 to the bone, coming from 4thgen Z28s and SSs themselves. And more than a couple of them said it FELT just like their V8 fbodies. That's got to tell you something good about this V6.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
bigrich2021

well i dont see anything wrong with the v6. My main focus is to atleast keep up with the gt mustang and all other competion so if the v6 can do that im fine. I really wanted the v8 because of the sound of a v8. It may not even be that much of a difference because the pontiac g8 gt doesnt have that good of a exuast note so im just waiting to see.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Point 1. Putting a V8 would make a huge difference in insurance. Stupid insurance companies discriminate against V8 fbodies. I was treated like a criminal when I said I have a V8 not a V6 when getting my quote from State Farm. I'm automatically a street racer and need to pay double. Even though I have 0 tickets and 0 accidents on record.

Point 2. Fleet cars need to be cheap and V6 is a better sell then V8. 5.3 would probably cost more. GM makes a lot of sales to fleets. I rented a V6 camaro once. I don't think they had any Z28s.
Actually they are more going to the point of what trim level your car is. I remember when i went in to get insurance for a monte carlo and impala, I told them I would have the six cylinder version, and he said, "that doesn't matter, I wanna know what trim it is" I said why, and he said, "If you has an LS then i will charge you the minimum, if you have an LTZ It will cost more, and if you have an SS, you will recieve the maximum". I proceded by saying, "well thats fu**in bullSH*t " And this was the time before the montes had V8 engines in them, and the SS was just a electronics package.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
And, if its not enough power for you, just buy a cold air intake (or design your own) and a cat back exhaust and bump it to about 340/300 at the flywheel. For about a grand, that's a much better deal than doing an engine swap.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Actually they are more going to the point of what trim level your car is. I remember when i went in to get insurance for a monte carlo and impala, I told them I would have the six cylinder version, and he said, "that doesn't matter, I wanna know what trim it is" I said why, and he said, "If you has an LS then i will charge you the minimum, if you have an LTZ It will cost more, and if you have an SS, you will recieve the maximum". I proceded by saying, "well thats fu**in bullSH*t " And this was the time before the montes had V8 engines in them, and the SS was just a electronics package.
Actually, that makes sense. I'm not saying it's right but think about it, a fully loaded Monte Carlo SS has an MSRP of about $31,500. The stripped base LS stickers for about $21,000. Based simply on the cost of vehicle, the insurance rate for the loaded SS should be about 50% more than the LS. If they are paying out a total loss claim, then it will/should cost them more to cover the SS instead of the LS.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
Beau

Drives: Fast
Note:

Not everyone wants a pushrod 2 valve v8 as their only choice in GM...

In fact if GM survives, you will see it all but disappear, and I cannot wait.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote