Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #85
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2crazy View Post
OK, here we go again. I searched all the info I could find online...
It said the procedures listed here would work for 2010 models.
The 2011 models and newer require the fob and key to be programmed by either a dealer or a locksmith.

Maybe that's why some of you have had various problems doing this?

Has anyone with a 2011 or newer model done this successfully with a new key and fob?

I have one set (a fob with the key) but don't know if it's the original. I bought it as a recovered theft with a "rebuilt" title. It just turned over 10K miles, verified by the Carfax reports of when it was serviced at the dealer.

I live out in the sticks about 25 miles from my dealer. I need a second set of keys but don't want to get soaked at a dealer.
Please clarify ...do you have 1 key & 1 fob ( does it work) or do you have a pair (2) keys & fobs and only 1 works? Also, see post#76 ...he programmed his 2011
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #86
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Just get the dealer to program the FOB they provided you.
That's what I will have to do. I just hate giving them any more money.
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #87
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
That's what I will have to do. I just hate giving them any more money.
They shouldn't charge you as they provided you the key with the car. With any car purchase it's assumed all the keys provided by the seller work.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #88
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Got this done dirt cheap. Bought a pair off ebay $17 for 2 shipped:
2 New Key Remote Start Keyless Entry Transmitter Fob For OHT01060512 Uncut Flip
Was lucky on finding a locksmith to cut them and used the simple put in original key, turn the ignition on, but not all the way to start, turn it off and insert the new key soon, and also turn it on but not start. I waited about 30sec but didn't see any notifications of key programmed etc.
They work including the remote start button for 2013 ZL1

Some people noted the fact these chinese cheapo's have a slightly thicker blade made them not fit in the ignition for some other model cars. I can tell it fits more snug in my ignition but not binding or hard to insert.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #89
metalwar2010

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro Convertbile SLP
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Got this done dirt cheap. Bought a pair off ebay $17 for 2 shipped:
2 New Key Remote Start Keyless Entry Transmitter Fob For OHT01060512 Uncut Flip
Was lucky on finding a locksmith to cut them and used the simple put in original key, turn the ignition on, but not all the way to start, turn it off and insert the new key soon, and also turn it on but not start. I waited about 30sec but didn't see any notifications of key programmed etc.
They work including the remote start button for 2013 ZL1

Some people noted the fact these chinese cheapo's have a slightly thicker blade made them not fit in the ignition for some other model cars. I can tell it fits more snug in my ignition but not binding or hard to insert.
I'm glad to see this post, as I JUST ordered one of these, $18.79 shipped for two by HUGE luck the 0HT01060512 code becasue wasn't aware that had to match too, prior to finding this topic here.

My question to you or anyone that did this, was it hard to get the key cut and what to look for to ensure they can do it? I'll definitely need to double check that it at least fits in the ignition prior to cut.

I bought the extra pair to have GM castrate them so I don't get the recall notice anymore, especially since I've read here they no longer let you opt out and dealers forcing on it on you, sometimes without permission.

Thanks silversleeper for posting this info here!
metalwar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #90
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by giturr14 View Post
Hey guys i have lost both set of keys to my 2013 camaro and i ordered a new key from the dealership for $140 but they are trying to charge me $135 just to program it. i found a locksmith that could program it for $95 but then i looked in the car manual and i found this. Let me know if any of you guys have tried this. i should try this tomorrow or the day after. If it works i wanna go to the dealership and tell them to f*&k off.
I too lost both of my 2013 Key Fobs but luckily I still had the spare that the dealer did when they did the recall on one of my original keys (but no FOB). So I bought 2 key blanks on ebay and found this thread. I had the blanks cut at a local shop using the separated spare. The blanks had no numbers on them at all. I finally got the blanks in, and did these steps on them today and it worked! Also, I do not have the trunk unlock problem that others have had either, that worked too. So I may have just lucked out on that (mine had no remote start.) which is the type of FOB I bought. One side note: I did not have any of this in my manual, so they must've changed it at some point. Just said if you lost both keys to go to the dealer to order new ones. Also, the top security red light "never" came on, and the immobilizer lock light on the dash turned off with all of the other lights right away, but I still waited the full 10 minutes (each time) for it to reprogram the fob. I also did not get any notification on the dashboard that the key was learned. I hope that helps anyone else trying this. Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #91
Ethan22

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey guys, bought 2 keys off eBay due to how broken the fobs were when I bought the car used. The fobs would not pair no matter what Ior the dealer did. I assume it's the RFID on the fob so I had to remove the ID piece from the original and solder it on the new fobs, which was fun. Just letting someone else know in case the cheap $7 fobs they get do not work with this or any other method.
Ethan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #92
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan22 View Post
Hey guys, bought 2 keys off eBay due to how broken the fobs were when I bought the car used. The fobs would not pair no matter what Ior the dealer did. I assume it's the RFID on the fob so I had to remove the ID piece from the original and solder it on the new fobs, which was fun. Just letting someone else know in case the cheap $7 fobs they get do not work with this or any other method.
When you ordered it did you make sure the numbers on the side of fob were the same?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #93
Dead Eye

Drives: looking
When I bought my Camaro it only came with one key and no remote. Is it true that only the dealership can program a new remote in this scenario?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Dead Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #94
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
No
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #95
Uileat

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Here is my solution for a post-recall key which I got to work tonight. I bought the knock-off Amazon fob similar to what has been discussed. I was really only interested in programming the replacement remote as the original rubber buttons is crumbling.

I took some soda can aluminum and cut out a section and folded it to use as a radio frequency insulator. I cut a small hole for the key blade to stick through. Putting the flat fobless key into this prevents the security chip in the key from communicating.

Test to make sure your aluminum signal shield works. With the key in the shield try inserting your key and turning to on position. Keep an eye on the yellow security dash light. You should get a warning to service the security system if your shield is properly blocking the signal.

Now you'll want to do the next parts fairly quickly. This is replicating the old procedure but blocking the new fobless key signal.

Put in your normal fobless key to on (without the shield), wait for the yellow security dash light to turn off.

Quickly turn key off, remove, and insert through aluminum shield. Hold new remote fob RIGHT NEXT TO IT, very close to where it would be if you were using it as a key.

Insert shielded key and closely held fob and turn to on. If you do it quickly enough the new fob will get programmed and the yellow light will go out. I didn't see it ever display a "new key added" message (I may have missed it) but the new Amazon knock-off fob now works. Door locks, trunk, panic button all work fine.
Uileat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #96
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uileat View Post
Here is my solution for a post-recall key which I got to work tonight. I bought the knock-off Amazon fob similar to what has been discussed. I was really only interested in programming the replacement remote as the original rubber buttons is crumbling.

I took some soda can aluminum and cut out a section and folded it to use as a radio frequency insulator. I cut a small hole for the key blade to stick through. Putting the flat fobless key into this prevents the security chip in the key from communicating.

Test to make sure your aluminum signal shield works. With the key in the shield try inserting your key and turning to on position. Keep an eye on the yellow security dash light. You should get a warning to service the security system if your shield is properly blocking the signal.

Now you'll want to do the next parts fairly quickly. This is replicating the old procedure but blocking the new fobless key signal.

Put in your normal fobless key to on (without the shield), wait for the yellow security dash light to turn off.

Quickly turn key off, remove, and insert through aluminum shield. Hold new remote fob RIGHT NEXT TO IT, very close to where it would be if you were using it as a key.

Insert shielded key and closely held fob and turn to on. If you do it quickly enough the new fob will get programmed and the yellow light will go out. I didn't see it ever display a "new key added" message (I may have missed it) but the new Amazon knock-off fob now works. Door locks, trunk, panic button all work fine.
This is so funny I'm sure it works but it sounds like some of those conspiracy stories that you here about where people put aluminum on their heads.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #97
mike12345
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1LT
You can order the blanks online oem GM for under $20

If you haven’t lost one and are just replacing worn out key fobs (original switch key). You can pull it apart they don’t have to be programmed. Just throw the chip board and key in the new one.

Otherwise the key has to be cut and there’s instructions to program the transponder
mike12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #98
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
2011 does not need dealer programming I cut and programmed my own

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote