Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Interesting cars at the show.

Came across a interesting challenger and a non boss 302 boss mustang. Why people pose I don't know. The challenger I liked. It says pettys garage. I've never seen a car like this.
Attached Images

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Still havnt seen a Pettys Garage challenger on the road.....anyone else seen this car?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Does the Challenger have two spoilers? It also needs a reworked front bumper cover to look more like the old one if it's going to try to pull of that spoiler.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Does the Challenger have two spoilers? It also needs a reworked front bumper cover to look more like the old one if it's going to try to pull of that spoiler.
They actually make an entire kit, made to look like a '69 Daytona or '70 Superbird. The originals are HOT, these kits are NOT! My Dad's friend Rege, still has an original '69 Daytona that he's had since high school. They blew up the original 440 four times over the years.
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Super NO!...

Interesting story as to why they made that wing so high...
It's not scientific and has nothing to do with aerodynamics.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Shit, there is a guy on here with a V6 Camaro transformed to look like a ZL1.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Super NO!...

Interesting story as to why they made that wing so high...
It's not scientific and has nothing to do with aerodynamics.
gotta get that trunk open somehow! I didn't know that till I looked it up lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Not necessarily. The Daytona and Superbird were all about aerodynamics. In the wind tunnel they had discovered to achieve the desired stability a rear spoiler would need to be over the 3" tall NASCAR limit and would produce lots of aerodynamic drag. The wing gave the desired downforce without the drag of a too-large illegal spoiler. Plus as a side benefit the tall vertical sections acted as twin vertical stabilizers like on a plane and helped keep the rear of the car stable and in-line. I believe aerodynamics was the first concern, once designed it would be nice if one could access the trunk. These cars were built for one reason and one reason only, the race track. It is just that NASCAR required that a quantity of street versions must be made to qualify them for NASCAR.

http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

Two stories explain the rear spoiler. Some wrote that it's three feet tall so the trunk can open. An interview with the engineers at Chrysler, long ago, included a comment to the effect that as the numbers kept getting better as they raised the spoiler, until it was three feet off the car, that's where they left it. Either or both could be true.

“The ‘69 race Daytona package got the front lift of a standard Charger to zero, from 1,200 pounds at race speeds. A bigger front spoiler, further forward, would make some downforce – relative to a no lift condition. The rear wing would be used for down force and to balance the car, aero wise. To get the same effect with a rear spoiler would cause a lot of drag! The spoiler would have had to be well beyond the NASCAR limitations of 3 inches.

In early 1965, I rented the University of Michigan wind tunnel for extensive tests. I hired University of Michigan-associated aerodynamicist Jim Amick to manage the tests and compile data into a report. Ron Martin built the wind tunnel models, and worked with Amick between runs making changes.

Amick's final report had a unique solution...The Wing.

Amick’s March 1965 report included the following: “The divergence speed for a given combination of spring rates can be increased indefinitely by the installation of a horizontal airfoil at the rear of the vehicle. A convenient place for such a stabilizer might be above the rear deck. An airfoil of 15-inch chord mounted 20 inches about the rear deck and spanning the full width of the car would probably provide complete aerodynamic stability.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Not necessarily. The Daytona and Superbird were all about aerodynamics. In the wind tunnel they had discovered to achieve the desired stability a rear spoiler would need to be over the 3" tall NASCAR limit and would produce lots of aerodynamic drag. The wing gave the desired downforce without the drag of a too-large illegal spoiler. Plus as a side benefit the tall vertical sections acted as twin vertical stabilizers like on a plane and helped keep the rear of the car stable and in-line. I believe aerodynamics was the first concern, once designed it would be nice if one could access the trunk. These cars were built for one reason and one reason only, the race track. It is just that NASCAR required that a quantity of street versions must be made to qualify them for NASCAR.

http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

Two stories explain the rear spoiler. Some wrote that it's three feet tall so the trunk can open. An interview with the engineers at Chrysler, long ago, included a comment to the effect that as the numbers kept getting better as they raised the spoiler, until it was three feet off the car, that's where they left it. Either or both could be true.

“The ‘69 race Daytona package got the front lift of a standard Charger to zero, from 1,200 pounds at race speeds. A bigger front spoiler, further forward, would make some downforce – relative to a no lift condition. The rear wing would be used for down force and to balance the car, aero wise. To get the same effect with a rear spoiler would cause a lot of drag! The spoiler would have had to be well beyond the NASCAR limitations of 3 inches.

In early 1965, I rented the University of Michigan wind tunnel for extensive tests. I hired University of Michigan-associated aerodynamicist Jim Amick to manage the tests and compile data into a report. Ron Martin built the wind tunnel models, and worked with Amick between runs making changes.

Amick's final report had a unique solution...The Wing.

Amick’s March 1965 report included the following: “The divergence speed for a given combination of spring rates can be increased indefinitely by the installation of a horizontal airfoil at the rear of the vehicle. A convenient place for such a stabilizer might be above the rear deck. An airfoil of 15-inch chord mounted 20 inches about the rear deck and spanning the full width of the car would probably provide complete aerodynamic stability.
Yeah, I'm thinking that if the best position for the spoiler were say a foot lower they would have put it there instead, leaving with a trunk that only opens partway.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that if the best position for the spoiler were say a foot lower they would have put it there instead, leaving with a trunk that only opens partway.
As I read it they had to put the wing up so high to get the trunk to fully open instead of partial opening but I agree with you that if the most optimal spot for the wing was a foot lower it would've ended up there.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
As I read it they had to put the wing up so high to get the trunk to fully open instead of partial opening but I agree with you that if the most optimal spot for the wing was a foot lower it would've ended up there.
I liked it in person.....now when I look at the pics I'm not sure about the wing.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Yes to be NASCAR legal they had to make production cars with those parts, and if you didn't know production cars they could not sell, so I don't think trunk access was a big concern. It seems back in the day almost no one wanted to buy these wild outlandish cars. Many sat on lots for so long (2 yrs) the dealers would take the wing off and replace the nose-cone with a Coronet bumper just the try and get them sold and off the lot.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
It looks like a big blue Lightning McQueen Kaa Chow
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Not to dis the Mustang guys ,that one looks like a boss to me but I think they all look alike.