Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #15
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: 2014 Z/28
More reading enjoyment. They mention sport 1 & 2 with the first PTM modes so not sure why thereíd be a sport standalone and then callout sports within the modes. But what do I know. I just like finding out new stuff about this awesome beast.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...ction-control/
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #16
Flannel-On-A-Camel

Drives: Ď15 RH Z/28 #185, Hennessey #006
There's also a mode that completely turns off ALL interference. I can't remember how to access it, though.
Flannel-On-A-Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannel-On-A-Camel View Post
There's also a mode that completely turns off ALL interference. I can't remember how to access it, though.
From the article I previously attached. BTW, I’m a training wheel driver, at best.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #18
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Hold the traction control button down for 7 sec. turns off TC and Stabili-Trac.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #19
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
Do they? I think thatís been the debate. Have you found documentation to support that or is it Internet forum stuff? Thatís what Iíve heard too but I never found a way to validate it and Iíve toggled between the two and I canít feel any difference.
Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time replying..
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #20
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time replying..
This is all I been able to find in owners manual referencing what you say, but it says ZL1 only. It includes the suspension & EPS and doesnít reference any Z28 only or for that matter any Z28 reference whereas in the PTM section it calls out ZL1 only or Z28 only. I would assume itíd have a note saying suspension is not included since Z28 doesnít have controllable suspension.

I am not saying your incorrect because what you say makes perfect sense. I am just trying to find it in print because everything else is spelled out clearly.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #21
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
You're looking for an answer you won't find.
Suspension is static.
The buttons are just there to toggle through PTM, that's it.
The car will always start up in PTM 2, for safety. (Edited from PTM 3).
PTM affects, traction control, steering, engine management. Eben in PTM 5 you'll have nannies. You can turn it all off by holding the T/C button for 7 seconds, then both lights on the dash will illuminate. You'll still have a nanny in the background though.
There is alot of things not done right for literature and info, and certificates that didn't happen for the Z/28. But, we've got this board to capture everyone's input and experiences.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41

Last edited by Zslash28; 01-11-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:04 AM   #22
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
You're looking for an answer you won't find.
Suspension is static.
The buttons are just there to toggle through PTM, that's it.
The car will always start up in PTM 3, for safety.
PTM affects, traction control, steering, engine management. Eben in PTM 5 you'll have nannies. You can turn it all off by holding the T/C button for 7 seconds, then both lights on the dash will illuminate. You'll still have a nanny in the background though.
There is alot of things not done right for literature and info, and certificates that didn't happen for the Z/28. But, we've got this board to capture everyone's input and experiences.
MY car starts up in mode 2.

After holding the traction button for 7-10 seconds you're right everything turns off. However, there should be no nannies in the back ground. Even though they say mode 5 is pure race mode, that one has nannies still working in the background.

With everything off nothing is there to save you.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #23
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
I'll edit my post. Havnt driven my car in four months. LoL, couldnt go check the PTM start up mode.
And there are nannies in all off mode. I'll dig up post from members here reporting their experience.
Regardless, there isn't any official printed info on this for the Z/28, to satisfy the OPS request.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #24
dardbrown

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
I run mine in mode 4 on cold days (40ís) to catch it when steps out and it works great! I put it in mode 5 when the track and tires warm up. I have not turned the PTS off entirely yet. I plan to try it next warm track day. I understand that if you hold Tour & Spot buttons down for 7 seconds it will turn stability and traction control, throttle response (any steering dampening) off. Would it turn off off any engine protection features when it begins to get too hot. Mine will turn off the AC (I donít have it on anyway) and limit the RPMs until it cools down.
dardbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #25
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardbrown View Post
I run mine in mode 4 on cold days (40ís) to catch it when steps out and it works great! I put it in mode 5 when the track and tires warm up. I have not turned the PTS off entirely yet. I plan to try it next warm track day. I understand that if you hold Tour & Spot buttons down for 7 seconds it will turn stability and traction control, throttle response (any steering dampening) off. Would it turn off off any engine protection features when it begins to get too hot. Mine will turn off the AC (I donít have it on anyway) and limit the RPMs until it cools down.
From owners manual:nothing about 7 seconds although that might be the minimum time it takes to deactivate both.

Keep us informed on your no nanny tracking as the article I posted earlier says the Chevrolet test team obtained better times with mode 5 rather than nannies off.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
young51

Drives: 2015 z/28
Thanks for all the responses so far, I'm at least better informed but still not exactly sure if my question was answered. At least I'm not alone in the confusion. I've read yes the sport & tour are 2 separate settings from the 5 PTM settings and also no, they are only buttons used to toggle between the 5 settings in PTM. Anyone have a final definitive say on that one? Also, the car defaults to PTM 2 "Dry" upon restarting? Is that correct as well?
young51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #27
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
The best explanation by user LS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 Apex View Post
Everyone writes and perceives different so internet help can be a mess sometimes. Picture added to help visualize...

Disable all: Press & HOLD button TSC/ST (3), for ~7 sec. Light indicator on dash will illuminate once successful. Press TSC (3) again, to reactivate.

- If TSC (3), is pressed once, traction control is disabled. Light on dash will indicate. With traction controlled disabled, if the TSC (3) button is pressed again, PTM modes become available, indictated by another dash light, and traction control will be appropriate for which PTM mode is being used. Use TOUR- (1) and Sport + (2), to toggle between PTM modes. *Pressing TSC (3) twice consecutively at the beginning will also get to the PTM modes. No need to wait.

As for the Tour (1) and Sport (2) Buttons on their own (not being used to select PTM), steering effort and feel changes in Tour... reduction of effort. Sport steering feels the same as a default setting when the car is initially started. I have not spent any extra time to tell if there are notable differences with vehicle behavior (throttle or TC/ST) outside of steering. Steering is probably it as I doubt any real need implement much with those two buttons.

PTM:
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...PREP_Final.pdf
Hope this will help with questions. I've tried this and this is the best explanation for our Z/28 PTM control.
Hold 3 for 7sec, it turns everything off. (You got to have big balls for this one)
Push 3 twice and you can toggle modes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 using - or + buttons

1 wet, training wheels
2 dry, safe but fast
3 sport, stability on, dialed back traction control
4 sport 2, no stability
5 race, pros only (you got to have balls for this one)

Mode Name Traction Control Stability Control EPS Cal
1 Wet Most Limiting Full-On Touring Cal
2 Dry Opens Up Sport Mode Touring Cal
3 Sport 1 Opens Further Sport Mode Sport Cal
4 Sport 2 Same as 3 Off Sport Cal
5 Race Most Open Off Track Cal
Attached Images

2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Past Cars:
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic 5.7L
1985 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Blazer 5.7L
1989 Chevy IROC-Z 5.7L
1995 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Tahoe 5.7L
2005 Chevy 4DR Tahoe 5.3L
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #28
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by young51 View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far, I'm at least better informed but still not exactly sure if my question was answered. At least I'm not alone in the confusion. I've read yes the sport & tour are 2 separate settings from the 5 PTM settings and also no, they are only buttons used to toggle between the 5 settings in PTM. Anyone have a final definitive say on that one? Also, the car defaults to PTM 2 "Dry" upon restarting? Is that correct as well?

Five PTM performance levels are available:
• Mode 1 – Traction Control set for wet or damp conditions, with Stability Control on. Steering efforts set to Tour
• Mode 2 – Intended for entry-level drivers. Traction Control set for dry conditions with Stability Control on. Steering set to Tour
• Mode 3 – Intended for an entry-level driver that has become familiar with the track. Traction Control set on Sport, Stability
Control set to Mode 2. Steering effort set to Sport
• Mode 4 – Intended for intermediate level drivers familiar with the track. Traction Control set on Sport, Stability Control off.
Steering efforts set to Sport
• Mode 5 – Intended for expert level driver familiar with the track. Traction Control set on Race, with Stability Control off.
Steering efforts set to Track

NO your car will NOT start in PTM mode, it will default to Sport/Tour if you restart the car (Watch my video). That is a safety issue, if you turn all your stuff off/Select a PTM mode that is above someones driving skill and they go test drive your car OR you forgot! Things could get hairy. So, your car will always start in sport/tour.

Last edited by 1970judge; 01-11-2021 at 04:24 PM.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote