Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-05-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
payoff car title what gives?

i hear conflicting accounts...i have paid off my car, have payoff notice in hand with the title...do i or do i not have to go to the DMV and take the GM Lineholder off the title and notify the insurance company? or what? i was just going to put the title and payoff letter in a file at my house and thats it...any experience?
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:47 PM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Here in Indy, once you pay the vehicle off, the DMV sends you the title with your name on it and no others/lean holders on it. If there is no other names on the title other than yours... the car is Officially Yours... drive and enjoy.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:51 PM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
According to Maryland BVM you take it in they will issue a "lien Free" title. I would google and make sure you have all the correct info before you go to the BMV. I assume most states are like this.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:57 PM   #4
KC64
Gray Ghost

Drives: 24 Camaro 2SS Loaded
When they sent the title they should have signed it with date of release of lien on the title. You do not have to do anything if you do not want to, if you want a clean/er looking title you can go to the tax office and pay for a title in your name without a lien on it. At least that is the show in Texas. Congrats!!!
KC64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
In Utah the DMV sends a title to the lien holder with the lien holders info on it. When I paid my 2010 off it was sent to me with the lien holder portion signed off as to being settled, I got no "payoff notice". I then just took it to my DMV and they reissued me the lien free title, didn't cost me anything or if it did the price was so low I don't remember it. At that point I just called my insurance Broker and told him to take the bank off the insurance.

As for just keeping the payoff notice with the title, I'd recommend just doing like I did and going to the DMV to get it officially taken off, if you lose the notice/title (fire, theft, misplaced, ect.) and need to get it reissued it would be better/easier if you don't also have to get your old finance company to issue you another notice.

Finally, congrats on the payoff, now start saving those payments so you can buy the next one in cash, free and clear and not have to worry about a lien on the title at all.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:11 PM   #6
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
Im sure it depends on each states level of bureaucracy but here is VA.

I have bought several cars with both USAA and GM as banks. I have not received a payoff quote from either. I looked at my account online for USAA and in the app for GM at whatever the payoff amount was. I sent that to them and with in about 2 weeks I had title with NO LIEN on it.

Enjoy your car.

Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:28 PM   #7
clyde

Drives: broken
https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/P...27300-18T.aspx
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:52 PM   #8
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
In NYS, when I've paid off a car I get a letter from the lienholder acknowledging closure of the loan, and the DMV sends a new title roughly within a few days of that.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:54 PM   #9
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC64 View Post
When they sent the title they should have signed it with date of release of lien on the title. You do not have to do anything if you do not want to, if you want a clean/er looking title you can go to the tax office and pay for a title in your name without a lien on it. At least that is the show in Texas. Congrats!!!
Not in Maryland, a paid off vehicle needs a title transfer to show a clear title. Anything to get that extra 20 bucks for a title transfer.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:57 PM   #10
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
In Ohio all you have to do is send the bank the last check and wait for your title in the mail. Nothing else needs to be done.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:09 AM   #11
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
thanks

thanks for all the replies!
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:35 AM   #12
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Went through this with my Camaro in Maryland a couple of years ago. See Clyde's link above

You need the original (red) Maryland Notice of Security Interest Filing and your original title. I also submitted the Lien Release letter.

I did it through the mail, but it took 3 tries because I didn't realize they needed the Notice of Security Interest Filing - probably would have been less confusing if I did it in person so they could have told me exactly what I was missing the first time.

And yes, you need to contact your insurance company once you have the clear title.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #13
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Went through this with my Camaro in Maryland a couple of years ago. See Clyde's link above

You need the original (red) Maryland Notice of Security Interest Filing and your original title. I also submitted the Lien Release letter.

I did it through the mail, but it took 3 tries because I didn't realize they needed the Notice of Security Interest Filing - probably would have been less confusing if I did it in person so they could have told me exactly what I was missing the first time.

And yes, you need to contact your insurance company once you have the clear title.

Man and I thought VA had high levels of bureaucratic BS. Geez!!

Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote