Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #1
ManOfBing

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Rims and Tires

Hey guys,

So I’m looking to get rims and tires for my 2013 LS. I’ve done a ton of research and am still feeling a tad confused. I was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head the largest tire size you can fit on the front axle of the 2013 LS. I want to run a square setup for more of a track feel to the car not the drag or “muscle” car look. I was thinking 20” rims with 10” width, but I’m not sure if anything larger than 275-285 is gonna rub. I know it all depends on the aspect ratio as well but I’m talking purely tire width. How far will 315’s stick out on the front? I’m not totally knowledgeable with cara and mods. I’m willing to learn though. I have mechanics on both sides of my family and I feel like I get yelled at more for not holding a tool in the right place more than I get taught lol.
ManOfBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I would not run 315s on the front....go with a 285 if you want a squared set up. I have 20x9 in the front with 275s and 20x10 in the rear with 295s.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
I have 20x10 square set up on my 2012 LS running Michelin Pilot Spot A/S 285/35ZR20. I have no rub and the ride is comparable to the stock setup. I'm pretty sure 10 is the biggest you can set up in the front, but you can go up to 11" in the rear as that's what the ZL1 has.
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
ManOfBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgt03 View Post
I would not run 315s on the front....go with a 285 if you want a squared set up. I have 20x9 in the front with 275s and 20x10 in the rear with 295s.
I wanted to go as wide as possible for a square setup but I think youre right, 285's would be perfect. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
ManOfBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
I have 20x10 square set up on my 2012 LS running Michelin Pilot Spot A/S 285/35ZR20. I have no rub and the ride is comparable to the stock setup. I'm pretty sure 10 is the biggest you can set up in the front, but you can go up to 11" in the rear as that's what the ZL1 has.
I was thinking 285's as well. I know I can get an 11 in the back if I really wanted but i think ill stick to a square setup for now. Do you think it would be a problem to add lowering springs at all if I went with 285's? I saw the recommended wheel sizes on a thread in here.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfBing View Post
I was thinking 285's as well. I know I can get an 11 in the back if I really wanted but i think ill stick to a square setup for now. Do you think it would be a problem to add lowering springs at all if I went with 285's? I saw the recommended wheel sizes on a thread in here.
I’ve got the 1le setup on mine; 10-front, 11-back, stock backspacing with MRR wheels. I have coil overs and I am just guessing at 3/4- 1” drop. It is just a bit lower than a stock 1le. I parked next to one at work and saw side by side. I don’t like too low for looks and function of axles. No rubbing what so ever but I also have all bmr rear suspension and hotckiss sway bars so I don’t get much roll in corners. I ended up with Michelin’s A/S tires which are nice but I haven’t really tested them. I had bfg on and really like them, they pulled +1g’s but my car had steering wheel shimmy with them. I think they just brought out a wearing part that the Michelin’s didn’t. But at 12k, shouldn’t be much going bad yet. I’m replacing front hubs with z/28’s and new inner/outer tie rods when warmer weather hits. I think the wider setup really stresses the smaller front bearings of the original V6.
But no rub and you could go 295/305/315 on rears if you like that look but I didn’t as much as the 1le look. But that’s me.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfBing View Post
You will be fine lowered with 285s.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:21 AM   #8
ManOfBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotls1 View Post
I’ve got the 1le setup on mine; 10-front, 11-back, stock backspacing with MRR wheels. I have coil overs and I am just guessing at 3/4- 1” drop. It is just a bit lower than a stock 1le. I parked next to one at work and saw side by side. I don’t like too low for looks and function of axles. No rubbing what so ever but I also have all bmr rear suspension and hotckiss sway bars so I don’t get much roll in corners. I ended up with Michelin’s A/S tires which are nice but I haven’t really tested them. I had bfg on and really like them, they pulled +1g’s but my car had steering wheel shimmy with them. I think they just brought out a wearing part that the Michelin’s didn’t. But at 12k, shouldn’t be much going bad yet. I’m replacing front hubs with z/28’s and new inner/outer tie rods when warmer weather hits. I think the wider setup really stresses the smaller front bearings of the original V6.
But no rub and you could go 295/305/315 on rears if you like that look but I didn’t as much as the 1le look. But that’s me.
Sounds like exciting stuff man! I think I found my setup. I’m gonna run a black and gold theme. Gonna run a 285/35R20 square setup with some BFGoodrich performance tires. Hopefully next I can get some coil overs at a decent price or at worst I’ll go with lowering springs for now. Sway bars would be an amazing addition as well. I’ve just always liked taking a corner smooth as silk vs going fast in a straight line. Don’t know why but hopefully I can reflect that in my build!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
They are called wheels, not rims. Unless you are installing just the outer edge of the wheel without the hub.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:24 AM   #10
ManOfBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
They are called wheels, not rims. Unless you are installing just the outer edge of the wheel without the hub.
Fair point. Just what I grew up referring to wheels as. Thanks for the clarification though!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
The younger guys really are sticklers on wheels vs rims.

I'd imagine something like telling them you were really banging the tranny last night would get you banned for life.

2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote