Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
So after scratching my head all day yesterday, I found the problem this morning.
Looks like a broken axle. It would allow the wheel to turn just enough while on jack stands, (which is why it looked like everything was in proper working order....) but not when the car was on the ground under load.
The axle would wobble in a circle as the wheel turned, but it would not rotate.

So there's my problem..
Seems very strange that it broke while driving like a grandma at 20mph, but it should be covered under warranty through the manufacturer.
I was going to say broken axle or drive shaft. Clutch would not fail instantly and any problems with the master or slave would leave the clutch engaged. The speedo moving was the key clue.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Glad you found it. Axle would have been my guess with the history of these cars. The transmission tailshaft issues were very early issues that got fixed quickly.
Yeah my first thought was clutch, then I thought axles. But I figured because I'm well under 1000hp there was no way it could be the problem, plus the wheels turning and the driveshaft engaging with no bad sounds made me believe it couldn't be the axles. Guess I was wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
I was going to say broken axle or drive shaft. Clutch would not fail instantly and any problems with the master or slave would leave the clutch engaged. The speedo moving was the key clue.
Yeah, and thats why I looked into the driveshaft in such detail, every bolt and connection etc etc.
And when I turned the wheels and the driveshaft turned fine and no sounds made me believe the axles were fine as well. Turns out that wasn't the case...

Thanks again for all the input everyone!
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #17
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Shouldn't the diff on an SS be a limited slip? If working properly, shouldn't the limited slip diff make the car move with a single broken axle?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Shouldn't the diff on an SS be a limited slip? If working properly, shouldn't the limited slip diff make the car move with a single broken axle?
Maybe not.

"Working properly" is probably subject to interpretation. A posi diff inherently wears itself toward being an 'open diff' even in normal driving, and this is a 2013 unit.

A non-T2R Torsen wouldn't try to send any torque at all down the good half shaft even when brand-new/out of the box.

Norm