Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Question Anti-Seize on Wheel Hub?

I've been noticing more and more lately, that when I go to remove my wheels I have to break out a rubber mallet to get the wheel unstuck.

Has anyone tried using anti-seize on the hub to prevent that from happening? If so, does it work or did it end up just making a huge mess?

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:46 AM   #2
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I've done that on other cars that I've owned. It works pretty well. Doesn't make it too messy. Not a problem on the Camaro since I don't drive it in the Winter weather.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:53 AM   #3
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I've been noticing more and more lately, that when I go to remove my wheels I have to break out a rubber mallet to get the wheel unstuck.

Has anyone tried using anti-seize on the hub to prevent that from happening? If so, does it work or did it end up just making a huge mess?
It will help, just remember, a little dot will do ya... It doesn't take much.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:52 AM   #4
Bee

Thank you both...I will definitely give it a try next time I take the wheels off.

The crazy part is, I never drive it in the winter and especially when there is any trace of road salt still on the roads. And I've only got caught in the rain maybe 6 or 7 times driving in the rain in the 14 years I've owned it (4 of those were from this season alone).

What really prompted me to start looking for a solution was about 3 weeks ago, I took the front wheels off to remove the bumper (both of them were stuck). It then sat in my garage and when I went to remove the wheels once more to reinstall the bumper, the front passenger wheel was stuck again.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I use it between the wheel and the brake rotor AND between the rotor and the hub. It makes life A LOT easier when it comes time to pull the wheels/brake rotors. Like the others have said, it doesn't take a lot and I haven't seen any negatives - and I've been doing it for over 20 years on all my cars.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:21 PM   #6
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Never had these factory wheels stick before. Maybe try sanding the back of the wheel and the rotor; 180 or 220 grit or so, nothing too rough, should bring the wheel to a nice shine. I daily drive mine even in winter and the wheels nearly fall off on their own when I take off the last lug nut. But as mentioned, a few small dabs of never-seize where the wheel touches the rotor is all that's needed.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Alloy wheels are pretty soft. As the get removed and remounted, the "pilot hole" where it centers on the hub starts to close up. If it's sticking, kiss it lightly with a flapper wheel, and BINGO, zero stiction.

Todays super cheapo lugnuts do the same thing. After repeated use, they swell up and are no longer 7/8". Replace them now, before you get stuck on the side of the road and find you cant remove them.....
Attached Images

AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
Bee

I don't think I could bring myself to sanding my rotor hat. I didn't take a picture when I had the wheel off last time, but here's a couple from a few months ago when I installed the new brakes. The culprit has to be the rust on the hub, as even the stock wheels/rotors would stick from time to time. I wish I would have just sanded it down when I had everything apart.

Name:  2023-06-24 11.56.48.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  509.7 KB
Name:  2023-06-25 15.41.29.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  493.6 KB