Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

Drives: 2010 CGM ZL1 clone/13 Silverado HD
installed Hurst shifter and K&N CAI

For any of you do it yourselfers thinking about the Hurst shifter or a CAI, they are must do mods you have to do. What a feeling driving the car after they are done. The CAI really woke the car up and the sound at full throttle is awesome. As for the Hurst shifter, I took it for a ride after the install and I didnt think it could be much closer than the stock one, but I was wrong. The shifts are so close, it is great. You dont even have to lift your arm of the console, absolutely worth every penney.

MR. FBDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS

Love my Hurst shifter
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
I love the new sound my L99 is making with the new K&N CAI, just did not realise how much those baffles/resonators on the stock tube was killing that beautiful throaty v8 muscle sound. Now it just alive!

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Kwik

Drives: car
Hurst shifter and Cold Air Inductions CAI were two of my best mods so far. I can't wait for the Kooks!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
iskenderian

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post

Love my Hurst shifter
I bought the hurst shifter and had it shipped to my Fathers house. (where the car i ordered will be also) I am currenly serving in Iraq. the pic on summit looked like it came with two shift handles. one black and one chrome. is the black one for people who want to use the stock leather shift handle but still have the short throw? Thanks

Bob
iskenderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. FBDY View Post
For any of you do it yourselfers thinking about the Hurst shifter or a CAI, they are must do mods you have to do. What a feeling driving the car after they are done. The CAI really woke the car up and the sound at full throttle is awesome. As for the Hurst shifter, I took it for a ride after the install and I didnt think it could be much closer than the stock one, but I was wrong. The shifts are so close, it is great. You dont even have to lift your arm of the console, absolutely worth every penney.
Where did you get the shifter and was the install easy, moderate, or difficult? I'm not so mechanically inclined (have been trying to remove the front bowtie for a few days now, but can't get it to release )
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublefatty View Post
Where did you get the shifter and was the install easy, moderate, or difficult? I'm not so mechanically inclined (have been trying to remove the front bowtie for a few days now, but can't get it to release )
I got the shifter from a performance company on E-bay. I bought it when it first came out and just got to put it in. I had to wait for a good day so I could concentrate on just that project not knowing what was involved.
Now that I did it, I can say, it wasn't too bad. The Hurst instructions are very good. I would say it was moderate to easy. Not hard at all, just follow the steps.

Your bowtie will come off if you kinda do a twist and pull on it. The trick is knowing the back of the bowtie has clips and they are pointed in opposite directions to hold it in.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskenderian View Post
the pic on summit looked like it came with two shift handles. one black and one chrome. is the black one for people who want to use the stock leather shift handle but still have the short throw? Thanks
Bob

Yes, that is true.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
looks great. glad you like 'em
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. FBDY View Post
I got the shifter from a performance company on E-bay. I bought it when it first came out and just got to put it in. I had to wait for a good day so I could concentrate on just that project not knowing what was involved.
Now that I did it, I can say, it wasn't too bad. The Hurst instructions are very good. I would say it was moderate to easy. Not hard at all, just follow the steps.

Your bowtie will come off if you kinda do a twist and pull on it. The trick is knowing the back of the bowtie has clips and they are pointed in opposite directions to hold it in.

twist counter clock wise or clock wise or it doesn't matter?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
You may want to check out the Hurst install video posted here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hifter+install
Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
The Hurst shifter will be available to order from the factory on the 2011 model. I think you are correct in stating that it is a must. I added a B&M short throw shifter to my 94 Corvette...wow what a HUGE difference! Awesome upgrade on the Camaro I am sure. Plus, it looks cool!