Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #1
Alex_Bumblebee

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Looking for a Cam

Looking to cam my 2012 automatic L99 TF3 edition camaro. What is the best cam out there for some horsepower but not trying to go all out and make it a track car. This is my daily driver and my only car as it is my first. Also is the install really hard on these things I have seen videos here and there and it looks doable with a couple of days to a week in the garage. Going to try and get tuned with DynoSteve after the install. I think he does not do any cams with .600 lift or higher. Anything is helpful Thanks

Last edited by Alex_Bumblebee; 01-11-2021 at 01:52 AM. Reason: forgot a little info
Alex_Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:47 AM   #2
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
I went with TSP VVT 3.2. But if I’m being honest, something in the “stage 2” range would probably have been more practical for DD.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Stage 1 or Stage 2 is good for a daily. Cam Motion makes a good kit for the 5th Gen Auto HERE.
As far as installation it does take longer if you have not installed a cam before. If you are going to tackle this at home I would definitely recommend asking a buddy with experience installing cam to help out. Feel free to send me a message or email if you have any questions regarding the kit I mentioned or any others we carry. Happy Modding!

-Sean, Sales
Sales@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Ok, I see that you are in CA, do you need a smog friendly setup? What are your current mods? What is your goal? Budget?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok I really hate the whole stage one,stage two,three and four thing.Its almost completely worthless.
Why you ask?
Because one makers stage 3 cam is lower lift duration etc then another’s stage two.

I would recommend a GPI Vvt stage 2 cam.Or something with similar specs.
Also think about a stall converter and headers.
A stall with cooler makes the car much more fun to drive and the right long tube headers will add another 25-35 HP.
I would do them all at once since they will all need a tune.Or go with dyno Steve’s package with unlimited tunes.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have the GPI SS2 VVT cam. It's a bit much for a daily. And it needs a converter swap too. The SS1 VVT packs a great punch and is equal to many stage 2's out there. And it uses the stock converter. Plus GPI puts together everything you need in one neat package deal. Shipping is lightning fast too.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
I loved my GPI ss1 vvt cam, its perfect as an upgrade with like normal dd ability with a good lope, I had the same professed mindset as you claiming now...I ran mine for about 30 days and it was a huge improvement but then went ss3 with a converter and 3.91 gears...now I do think that the ss3 with the converter and gear did fantastic as a dd too.

Really it comes down to if you think you will be satisfied, any cam can be a dd if you want it to be and are willing to adapt your driving style to it.

I think the real problem comes down to if we can control that little tickle in our brain that says "I want...NO I NEED MORE"
2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarendor View Post

Really it comes down to if you think you will be satisfied, any cam can be a dd if you want it to be and are willing to adapt your driving style to it.

I think the real problem comes down to if we can control that little tickle in our brain that says "I want...NO I NEED MORE"
Haha, 20k later and I still NEED more!!!

When I think of a dd I imagine "closest to stock manners". A SS4 cam can be driven daily if you are willing to change driving style like you said.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Sounds like you should go with this if you are in CA
http://www.cpgnation.com/comp-cams-c...egal-camshaft/
I am also in CA and went with the stage 3. It's my daily driver.

Hers a helpful diy camshaft install
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
Alex_Bumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarendor View Post
I loved my GPI ss1 vvt cam, its perfect as an upgrade with like normal dd ability with a good lope, I had the same professed mindset as you claiming now...I ran mine for about 30 days and it was a huge improvement but then went ss3 with a converter and 3.91 gears...now I do think that the ss3 with the converter and gear did fantastic as a dd too.

How much would that GPI SS1 VVT cam cost. I do not want to cheap out but just wondering with everything i would need an estimate at the end price because i do have an automatic.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
Alex_Bumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Ok, I see that you are in CA, do you need a smog friendly setup? What are your current mods? What is your goal? Budget?
I do not need a smog friendly set up but if there is a good kit that is why not be smog friendly. I just have Headers x pipe and no mufflers. My goal is to have a cam and supercharger in by the summer. To make some decent power but I am not gonna go crazy wanting 800 horsepower and stuff just want a little quicker. I have an automatic and i would like to stay under 1,500 dollars if possible
Old 01-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Impossible to do with that budget unless you cheap out. I suggest getting top line stuff. A good cam with all supporting hardware, keeping VVT, will run about 1,700. You can save big if you install it yourself.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Bumblebee View Post
I do not need a smog friendly set up but if there is a good kit that is why not be smog friendly. I just have Headers x pipe and no mufflers. My goal is to have a cam and supercharger in by the summer. To make some decent power but I am not gonna go crazy wanting 800 horsepower and stuff just want a little quicker. I have an automatic and i would like to stay under 1,500 dollars if possible
Yes you can stay under $1,500 including dyno tune if you do the install yourself. I did.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Um...you may want to just put that money in the bank if you only have $1500 to spend on camming your car...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote